Mk/Mk

Visiting US after k1 is approved

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello,

Our plan is that once our k1 is approved, I would enter the US on that visa around October 2015, as we need time to save up a little more money and our visa would still be valid until November. We live around 2 hours apart and I go visit him every two weeks. I'm canadian. My question is am I still able to visit him under the visitor visa until I enter in on the k1 in October?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hello,

Our plan is that once our k1 is approved, I would enter the US on that visa around October 2015, as we need time to save up a little more money and our visa would still be valid until November. We live around 2 hours apart and I go visit him every two weeks. I'm canadian. My question is am I still able to visit him under the visitor visa until I enter in on the k1 in October?

I believe that once the K1 visa is issued, it will override any other US visa that you may have. The next time you enter the US after your K1 visa is issued, you will be using the K1 (which is a one time entrance).

Our Journey:
04/19/2014- Met online
10/2014- Visited Nigeria and he proposed!!!! 
02/28/2015- Sent I-129F petition
03/05/2015- NOA1
09/2015- Visited Nigeria again!!!
10/28/2015- NOA2 (237 day wait at TSC)
11/13/2015- Sent to NVC
11/27/2015- Arrived at Embassy
06/2016- Third visit to Nigeria!
06/15/2016- Interview, given option to file I-601 waiver.
08/16/2016- Waiver submitted (no lawyer).
11/21/2016- Waiver approved with expedite.
01/2017- Embassy requested interview. 
04/2017- Fourth visit to Nigeria.  K1 officially denied. 
04/25/2017- NOA1 for 2nd K1.
07/27/2017- Case transferred to TSC.
11/17/2017- Case transferred back to CSC.
01/16/2018- NOA2!! (266 day wait)
03/08/2018- Interview (AP)
05/03/2018- VISA APPROVAL!!!
05/14/2018- Visa issued
05/18/2018- Visa picked up
05/25/2018- HE'S HOME!!! 💙💙💙

God has given me a great knowledgebase through research and other members here on VJ.  Please do not hesitate to reach out if I can be of any assistance to you! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

This is an often debated question. As I understand it, once a K1 is issued all other visas are recinded or cancelled. Now, Canada doesn't have an actual visitors visa per se, but I am thinking that when you cross the border, they want to endorse that visa. I got my CR1 back in mid February, but I had lots of stuff to tie up before I could come across permanently. I asked the same question, even emailed the border crossing, and the answers I got were unclear.

The thing to remember is - your entry is always at the descretion of the CBP Officers on duty at the time. I didn't want to take the chance so I waited until just this past Friday to enter at POE, and did not visit my husband once that visa was in my passport. No one knows what the guy or gal at the border will decide to do once they see that visa in your passport. It is the chance you take. They may let you, or you may be turned back if you are not ready to use it.

Someone else may have more knowledge than I, this is what I was told and what I went with. Good luck. :)

Edited by Dualie

ROC

01/18/2017   Sent in I-751

01/26/2017   Check cashed

01/28/2017   Received NOA dated 01/20/2017

02/16/2017   Biometrics done

10/24/2017   Traveled to Minneapolis for I551 stamp

02/26/2018     Case received by Field Office - S. Paul

05/012018     Case transferred to another USCIS office for processing 

N-400

02/02/2018    Filed N-400 online

02/05/2018    NOA online - NOA letter 02/09/2018

02/21/2018     Biometrics walk-in

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

This question was asked when I was at my interview last week and the CO answered it clearly. Here is your answer. When you enter the USA after your K-1 is issued, that is the only visa you are able to use at the POE. Once your K-1 has been used to enter the USA it is a one time pass until you are married. If you leave the USA before the marriage, YOU ARE OUT until you marry in your own country and wait the CR-1 process in your own country. They will deny your entrance back into the USA. You are also not entitled to a waiver because you are not yet married which would have to be filed before you left the USA.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.