Grashoppr

Getting married. Changing surname back in Canada...

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi folks,

Canadian-born, now U.S. Citizen (since January 2013.) I maintain a Canadian passport as well as a U.S. one.

I'm getting re-married and intend to change my surname to my husband's. How do I go about doing that back in Canada? Has anyone here done that?

Or is it too much of a pain? Or is it a worse pain to leave my name as-is as far as Canada goes?

This is a second marriage for me - I've been divorced for 10 years (first marriage was in Canada, long before we came to the States), but kept my first husband's surname after our divorce.

I've googled around a bit but haven't found anything specific to my circumstance. Any insight would be appreciated.

Once we're married I'll jump through the hoops here in Georgia to make the changes. Right off the bat I can see it being problematic if I do NOT change the name in Canada, as if/when I visit I'd have 2 passports with 2 different names, so one wouldn't match my plane ticket. That isn't going to fly (literally).

Will I have to pay for my passport all over again? I just recently renewed for 10 years (!)

I'm already thinking it may be less of a pain to just leave my name as it is - but I filled in the marriage license application stating I'll be changing my name.

Jenn

Timeline

I never changed my name back in Canada. If we ever move back I will then, I also still had my ex's last name.

For your passport just keep it as is, and keep a copy of your marriage certificate to show the change of name if you fly.

The two passports won't be happening for awhile still so no worries there and when it does come time carry your marriage certificate till you can renew again.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline

Thanks for the fast reply!

Did you change it in the U.S.? I got my U.S. passport shortly after my citizenship in early 2013. So it's good til March 2023. The Canadian one is good til 2024. Had I known I was going to get married, I'd have at least gone for the 5 year renewal on the Canadian one but it's such a chore to get properly formatted pictures here, I went for the 10 year so I wouldn't have to fool with it for a while.

Passport Canada's website says that any name change needs a new application (and fee). Ugh - I'm not flushing all that money down the drain.

Not sure if it will cost here in the U.S. yet I haven't checked. I'm starting to wonder if it's worth the bother - it's only a name. Kind of makes me wish I'd never changed it from my maiden name, in the first place :-/

Jenn

Timeline

Haha I didn't look at your timeline my bad.

Yes I changed my name in the US only. I only use my US passport to go back and fourth to Canada. Didn't seem worth the hassle for me to change everything and have 2 passports when Canada didn't require it.

Spoiler

Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Filed 03/08/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

Timeline

I can't see it being a problem then either. They may ask to update the files and send a copy of your marriage certificate.

When I was married in Canada I never did change my SIN card and never had any issues with filing taxes in my married name (with EX). My work, bank and all credit cards used my married name but my social was still in maiden name.

Spoiler

Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Filed 03/08/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

Timeline

Heh I had to look at my SIN card - I did have that changed, apparently. My first marriage was 26 years ago. I've been here in GA for 15 now.

I guess I'll sit tight on it, at least until the Canadian passport needs to be renewed. At least for the Canadian stuff. Not so many hoops to jump through on the American side.... I think.

Jenn

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.