canlady

Had one Summary Offence Ticket 10 years ago - will this affect my application process?

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone, I am a Canadian married to an American citizen and applying for an adjustment of status. Ten years ago I was charged with I think was a Summary Offence (not drug related or no violent). I am not even sure if it was a Summary Offence but because of the reason I think it was. I was working for a short time out of my home doing aromatherapy/sensual massage, and I was visited by a police office and then given a ticket by a by-law/peace officer. The city I live in allows sensual massage in certain areas of the city if you are licensed and the area is commercial and licensed. But this was not the case for me. I had to go to court for this ticket and could not just pay a fine. Plead guilty. Had a lawyer. Paid the fine....not sure how much.....about $500 I think. I was never fingerprinted. My question is, when filling out the Adjustment of Status in the section *Have you ever been arrested, cited, charged, indicted, convicted, fined or imprisoned for breaking the law or violating any law or ordinance, excluding traffic violations, I would answer YES. But I was NEVER arrested, imprisoned or indicted. I was ticketed(cited) and fined. So what explanation do I need to give on a separate paper. Do they want details? Do I need to have the ticket or court file as it was 10 years ago and do not have the court file number. What is the best course of action for me? This was a small mistake in my life that I wanted to forget and know it has *come back to bite me*. Also, will this affect the processing of my application? Thanks so much for your help?

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

I dnt know how to answer to your specific case, but I was arrested in 2008, went to court plead not guilty, case was no processed. (Police officer didn't show up) At the same year I was going to travel out of the country so I went to the court house and got a case summary that explain the charges I was arrested for and that it was thrown out. I kept that ever since, when I sent my AOS packet I included copies of the case summaries and a letter explaining exactly what happened when I was arrested. If you went to court you might be able to get records just with your name and DLs or whatever ID they used to identify you at the time.

-AOS sent (I-485 I-130 and I-765) 03/06/15

-AOS delivered 03/09/15

-NOA email/text 03/13/15

-NOA in the mail 03/20/15

-Biometric letter 03/27/15

-Biometric appointment 04/06/15

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.