Jump to content

US permanent resident living in Canada--is that possible?

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts


My husband was approved for the 601 & 212 recently and we entered the USA (we drove from Canada to USA) and stayed for about a month but had to come back to Canada. We've encountered some serious road blocks and we will need to stay in Canada for another 1-3 years.

1.) Is it possible for him to keep his PR in the USA while living in Canada temporarily? How often should we visit and how long should our stay be? We have all intentions of moving to the USA but we have so many obligations in Canada that we have to settle before leaving.

2.) Someone advised us that because we drove into the USA this will not affect us.

3) Also, he has never received his PR card. He paid his immigrant fee in Jan/2015.

Please advise

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Your answer is in the title of the card. Permanent Resident..... IF you reside outside the US for 1 -3 years, you are neither permanent or resident. Sorry.

Thank you, goodnight and may your gods go with you",

Dave Allen.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.