Chinese birth certificate, why it's so hard to get one?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
I know this just a forum for us immigration, but I hope you can help us, too. My chinese wife want to apply for german citizenship, for that we need a birth certificate from china. We tried for months to get one, but it seems to be almost impossible. My wife was born in a small town in north china. Her parents divorced and she moved to the new husband of her mother, living in south china. Her "new father" has a son from his first marriage which is holding the Hukou also for my wife. There was no real adoption like western standard, but it seems, that the new husband of her mother will automatically be her legal father.

I always read, that a birth certificate will be made by notary, all we need is to provide her hukou. So her new father, a police man, contacted a friend who is a notary, but he refused to write a birth certificate for her. We contacted the public notary office of her new hukou town directly, but they said she have to apply for a birth certificate in her birth town first.

She contacted her biological father which is still living in her birth town and asked him to get this paper from the police. The local police couldn't find a record for her, so they send him to the hospital where she was born. There they said she must go there in person, this will be the only way that they write a new confirmation for the police. Then she must go to the police office of her home town and get a chinese birth certificate. Then she must go with this in person to the notary in south china and they will write a international birth certificate for her, which will be certified from the local goverment and then legalized by german embassy. This would mean she have to travel around the world to beijing, take a flight to harbin and 8 hours by bus to her birth town. After that 8 hours back by bus, take a flight to south china and fly back around the world, all this just for a piece of paper.

Anyone know how to argue to the public notary office to write a birth certificate for her just with her hukou, without all the stress in north china? I often read this is the common way for a international birth certificate, but as written before, they always refuse to do this for us.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Because the Chinese hukou system is used as a tool of control by the government. They make it inconvenient in order to penalize rural residents who want to migrate to the cities.

07/14/2012: Eloped in Texas Hill Country
08/11/2012: Mailed I-130, I-485, and I-765 to Chicago Lockbox
08/13/2012: Package received by Chicago Lockbox
08/14/2012: Priority Date
08/17/2012: Notice of receipt sent
08/21/2012: Biometrics appointment notice sent
08/27/2012: Walk-in biometrics completed
09/19/2012: Interview scheduled for October 26
10/24/2012: EAD production ordered
10/26/2012: Interview in San Antonio. AOS approved!
11/5/2012: USCIS claims green card delivered, nothing in mailbox.
12/5/2012: Service request filed for non-delivered green card.
12/7/2012: Service request replied to (but not delivered).
1/4/2013: Filed I-90, paid another $450
1/24/2013: Biometrics again...
4/1/2013: First Green Card from November finally arrived...

4/22/2013: Replacement Green Card arrived.

8/9/2014: Filed I-751

8/14/2014: Received NOA for I-751

3/12/2015: ROC Approved!

7/18/2016: Sent in N-400 to Texas lockbox

7/21/2016: N-400 delivered

But she got a 2 tier city hukou in south china during her move to the new husband of her mother, it's not that she have a rural hukou and just live in this city like many do. So why she can't apply for a birth certificate at the new place of her hukou like it seems to be common.

Now we both live in germany, but chinese embassy don't want to help with any document, too.

You have any idea what we should tell the notary to get the certificate without going to her birth town in person first?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Does she still have family in her birth town that will be able to assist her? I suspect arguing with Chinese bureaucrats will likely result in the same ending as arguing with any government bureaucrat around the world. However, there may also be untoward consequences for the family in China.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Like I wrote before, her biological father still live in her birth town. Her mother also have some relatives there. Her biological father tried to get a birth certificate from police and hospital, but police couldn't find a case of her and hospital just want to deal with herself, not with anybody else.

Timeline

Sorry, missed that point in your commentary. Sounds like you may have summed it all up in your last phrase, "just want to deal with herself, not with anybody else."

Maybe some other forum members have some suggestions. :blink:

Good luck on your immigration journey, and in your family's dealing with Chinese bureaucrats.

Looks like things went fine. After month of setbacks my father in law arranged a birth certificate for my wife. He presented the "Certificate of Honor for Single-Child Parents" to the notary which seems to be actually enough for them to write the birth certificate (or he handover some hong bao, who knows). Document is in legalization now, we are very curious if it's really the right document he arranged.

Timeline

A more pressing issue, can that document be taken to a Gong Zheng Chu, and then a Notarial Certificate (White Book) prepared?

A more pressing issue, can that document be taken to a Gong Zheng Chu, and then a Notarial Certificate (White Book) prepared?

I guess you mean what we already got? Her father got a "chinese birth certificate for oveasea matters", from a Gong Zheng Chu. Is that the same as your white book?

Timeline

This current thread in this forum is a discussion about White Book contents: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/544028-birth-certificate-for-i-485-merged-threads/ Consider verifying that your current document is consistent with the Notarial Certificate (White Book) description in the thread.

Ah, I just re-read your first posting, I may have misspoken..... you need this document for German citizenship. :oops: Since this site is for US immigration, I forgot about your need for Germany. To clarify, a Notarial Certificate (White Book) is necessary from Chinese citizens for US immigration purposes. I am not sure about German immigration, you should likely check with them about their requirements for a Chinese birth certificate, as that it may differ. :yes: You may be fine with what you have.

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Edited by Pitaya

Timeline

This current thread in this forum is a discussion about White Book contents: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/544028-birth-certificate-for-i-485-merged-threads/ Consider verifying that your current document is consistent with the Notarial Certificate (White Book) description in the thread.

Ah, I just re-read your first posting, I may have misspoken..... you need this document for German citizenship. :oops: Since this site is for US immigration, I forgot about your need for Germany. To clarify, a Notarial Certificate (White Book) is necessary from Chinese citizens for US immigration purposes. I am not sure about German immigration, you should likely check with them about their requirements for a Chinese birth certificate, as that it may differ. :yes: You may be fine with what you have.

Good luck on your immigration journey.

I expect that the white book Notarial Certificates are Chinese documents made to International standards, and NOT anything specific to American immigration. It should be the same as what they provide for ANY country (including the English language), since the requirements are NOT set by the Americans. But, yes - it wouldn't hurt to check (ESPECIALLY about the English translation - it's not clear that they would also provide a German translation).

玉林,桂 resident
Feb 23, 2005 ........ Mailed I-129F to TSC . . . . . . . . .March 8th ............. P1 from CSC
April 11 ................. P2 from CSC . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .April 25 ................ NVC sends packet to GUZ
June 22 ................ P3 received . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Nov 22 ................. PASSED Interview
Dec 2 ................... Made it! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Dec 16 .................. Married
May 23, 2006 ..... TDL, EAD, AP received. . . . . . . . . June 16, 2006 ........ AOS interview - wait for FBI bkgrnd check
Apr 19, 2007 .... EAD # 2. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Oct 7, 2008 ......... 10-year green card
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - K2 (son) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Dec 2 ..................... AOS/EAD filed . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Dec 17 ................... 21st birthday
Jan 4, 2007 .......... transferred to CSC . . . . . . . . . . . Feb 6, 2007 ............ transferred to MSC
Feb 23 .................... EAD card . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Apr 16 .................... AOS denied (over 21)
Jul 26 .................... Master Calendar hearing . . . . . . Nov 15 ...................... Removal hearing
Jan 29, 2008 ........ Voluntary departure

It's not a big deal to get a german translation, notary doesn't just offer english translation.

Documents will be ready soon but I guess they will be ok. Her stepbrother immigrated just a couple of weeks ago, so her father will know which documents he got for him and hopefully got the same for her now.

Timeline

I expect that the white book Notarial Certificates are Chinese documents made to International standards, and NOT anything specific to American immigration. It should be the same as what they provide for ANY country (including the English language), since the requirements are NOT set by the Americans. But, yes - it wouldn't hurt to check (ESPECIALLY about the English translation - it's not clear that they would also provide a German translation).

Agree. I am certainly not familiar with German immigration rules and regulations. USCIS dictums are enough for me. :yes:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.