beccajayne93

Thinking ahead about my car

33 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey! I was wondering if you were able to share your experience with your Hyundai if you have happened to make your POE yet? I would love to hear another personal experience from someone with a Hyundai.

Hey! I don't know if my story will help or not...to this day, I still don't know if they were in the wrong at POE or if I was.

I entered on May 5th at Eastport, ID with my car. I had called ahead (call ahead!!) the previous week to tell them the day and time I'd be there. They were somewhat expecting me and had the manual for how to process a K1 ready. It's a small crossing so you could tell they clearly don't do it much. After he did the K1 he told me I was good to go and I had to remind him and say, "uhh...don't you have to import my car?" and he said "oh yeah, that's right" and had to find another manual for that.

He inspected the car, checked the emissions sticker under the hood, copied my compliance letter, and all was good. Then all of a sudden one of his co-workers stood up from her little cubicle behind him and said, "well make sure you charge her taxes".

I explained to him that I was allowed to import my car duty-free under NAFTA, when she popped her head back up again and said "well that's only if it's Canadian MADE. I highly doubt your HYUNDAI is Canadian made." She then basically ordered him to charge me for importing it, to the tune of about $800. She was incredibly rude and after a long day of driving it pushed me over the edge. I was in tears as I explained to HIM (I ignored her) that my fiance and I had budgeted every detail of this process carefully and that I didn't have $800 to waste. His nasty co-worker kept basically egging him on to charge me, and I think she was his superior, because he finally whispered to me and said "Sorry, I think I have to charge you something, but let me see what I can get it down to." He went to the Blue Book to find the value of my car and charged me based on that, though she kept saying to him "When I imported my car from such and such a state to here, I had to pay tax, and so should she. They didn't do it off the Blue Book for me, so you shouldn't do it for her."

He finally came back and said "How's $166 sound instead of $800+?" I said, "It sounds like $166 too much, but I guess I'll take it." At this point I was so tired and fed up that I just wanted to get out of there without any more trouble. So I paid the $166 (he also charged me $6 for a paper I-94, why I don't know, considering you can get it online now) and got the heck out of there with the import paperwork.

Maybe someone here can clarify as to whether I was wrong or they were, but I really didn't think I had to pay tax on my car. I still feel wronged and wanted to appeal it but was afraid to do so and open up a whole new can of worms...so I left it. I know it was only $166 but it's the principle behind it. I think more than anything I was frustrated by the sheer rudeness of the female officer who had NOTHING to do with me and my entry, and yet seemed to have it in for me. I felt like saying "Trust me, I don't want to be in your country with people like you anyway" and turn around and leave...lol.

SO! To sum up...pick a border crossing where they actually know what they're doing and how to process K1s and vehicle importations. The bigger crossings might be busier, but I suspect they also have a bit more knowledge in some cases, or at least officers with some more experience. Call ahead and tell them when you're coming so they can prepare for you in case they haven't done K1 or vehicles in a while.

Hope that helps!

You did not have to pay tax on the car. What a mean spirited woman. I would have made a complaint. (You should!!!)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Thanks so much for sharing, theanswerisdance. I had actually been worrying about the taxes since Hyundai is Korean but I haven't really seen anybody else pay taxes on their car! I'm sorry that happened to you! I will be crossing at either Queenston-Lewiston or the Peace Bridge which are fairly large POEs so hopefully they know what they are doing. Was your emissions sticker okay? And did you get a Canadian letter of compliance from Hyundai?

Spoiler

K1

04/09/15: NOA1

06/10/15: NOA2

09/04/15: Interview - Approved!

09/18/15: Visa received

09/24/15: POE

10/24/15: Wedding!!

AOS

11/12/15: AOS packet sent

11/15/15: AOS packet received

11/16/15: NOA1 for I-131 and I-765

11/18/15: NOA1 for I-485

12/11/15: Biometrics

02/06/16: EAD card in production, AP sent RFE

02/10/16: EAD mailed

02/11/16: EAD combo card received in mail including AP - Service request sent for why case tracker shows RFE

03/16/16: AOS Interview - Approved

03/22/16: Green Card received in mail

ROC

12/18/17: I-751 Filed at VSC
12/22/17: NOA1

02/02/18: Biometrics Appointment

02/04/19: Case approved

02/09/19: Card received

All done, for now. 

Timeline

You did not have to pay tax on the car. What a mean spirited woman. I would have made a complaint. (You should!!!)

That's what I thought. I wondered who I'd even make it to? And what is my evidence that I don't have to pay? I've been really on top of every detail throughout this whole process, but that day was honestly so frustrating that I've been scared to even think about addressing it and possibly doing more damage!

Timeline

Thanks so much for sharing, theanswerisdance. I had actually been worrying about the taxes since Hyundai is Korean but I haven't really seen anybody else pay taxes on their car! I'm sorry that happened to you! I will be crossing at either Queenston-Lewiston or the Peace Bridge which are fairly large POEs so hopefully they know what they are doing. Was your emissions sticker okay? And did you get a Canadian letter of compliance from Hyundai?

The emissions sticker was fine as was my Canadian letter of compliance. Since he wasn't totally familiar with the process I basically just cut to the chase for him. I explained before I handed him the letter, "This is a letter of CANADIAN compliance. I wrote Hyundai USA and they were unable to give me a letter of compliance since the car was not manufactured there, however, I was assured that this Canadian letter, coupled with the emissions sticker, would be sufficient." He took my word for it I think because I sounded knowledgeable and prepared, so it didn't seem like I had no idea what I was doing.

To be honest, it seems like hit-or-miss depending on the officer you get as to how much trouble you get, and what rules do apply, since it seems like some don't even know the laws themselves. But like I said before, call 2-3 days ahead, tell them what day and approximately what time you'll be coming through, give them your name and the info that you're coming on a K1 visa and importing a vehicle, and that way they have adequate time to read up on the procedures and to be prepared for your arrival. It also makes you look more like you know what you're talking about because you have the wherewithal to call ahead and come prepared.

Let me know how it goes!! I hope your experience was better than mine!

The emissions sticker was fine as was my Canadian letter of compliance. Since he wasn't totally familiar with the process I basically just cut to the chase for him. I explained before I handed him the letter, "This is a letter of CANADIAN compliance. I wrote Hyundai USA and they were unable to give me a letter of compliance since the car was not manufactured there, however, I was assured that this Canadian letter, coupled with the emissions sticker, would be sufficient." He took my word for it I think because I sounded knowledgeable and prepared, so it didn't seem like I had no idea what I was doing.

To be honest, it seems like hit-or-miss depending on the officer you get as to how much trouble you get, and what rules do apply, since it seems like some don't even know the laws themselves. But like I said before, call 2-3 days ahead, tell them what day and approximately what time you'll be coming through, give them your name and the info that you're coming on a K1 visa and importing a vehicle, and that way they have adequate time to read up on the procedures and to be prepared for your arrival. It also makes you look more like you know what you're talking about because you have the wherewithal to call ahead and come prepared.

Let me know how it goes!! I hope your experience was better than mine!

I hope so too! Thanks, you've been a great help. My POE will not be for another little while, however I will make sure to update this thread for others who are looking for the same information. I know for sure that I need to be prepared.

More experiences are welcome to help myself and others in the same situation!

Spoiler

K1

AOS

02/11/16: EAD combo card received in mail including AP - Service request sent for why case tracker shows RFE

ROC

All done, for now. 

• 3 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I hope so too! Thanks, you've been a great help. My POE will not be for another little while, however I will make sure to update this thread for others who are looking for the same information. I know for sure that I need to be prepared.

More experiences are welcome to help myself and others in the same situation!

Please , more experience at POE are welcome

NOA1 date: 9-22-2014

interview: September 18/ approved

visa received: September, 24, 2015

POE: October,5,2015

AOS/EAD/AP: October 29,2015 

EAD/AP approved:01/26/2016 card received: 02/02/2016

AOS approved:02/02/2016

02/09/2016 GC received

ROC/CITIZENSHIP/Passport-refer to my timeline...

I'm Done now, thank you to this wonderful VJ community ...Good luck to everyone....

happy tom and jerry GIF

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I just did all of this yesterday. I have a 2013 Hyundai Accent. I called Hyundai Canada for this famous compliance letter. Save your dime because they will tell you straight up they don't do that anymore.

Go check the stickers on the door and under the hood.

You are looking for: U.S. EPA: #### ### and OBD: CA II and No Adjustment Needed. These 3 things are your key to freedom. I know its there because it is on mine. Find the Form 3520-1 online and open it with Adobe Reader. Fill out that form. Leave the Customer Entry # blank...your not a broker. Go online and find the Port Entry Code of the Port you will be entering from. For example....I am entering the US at Houlton, ME so my Port Entry Code is 0106. Next look up HS-7 Declaration (DOT), fill that out the same. Don't sign them until you are at the point of entry. Make a copy of your bill of sale or lease. (Get a letter from you financing or bank on letter head saying they are allowing you to transport the vehicle to the USA with money still owning and that you have made arrangements with them for payment). Make a copy of the registration of the car and also the permit for the license plate. Make a copy of your insurance card. If you have the phone number & fax of the port you will be entering you can fax the title of your car ahead of time for them to search the title to speed things up at the border. Send with a cover page of when you plan on entering the US and the details of your car that is still under a lease and also the letter from you finance with your agreement. Call them to make sure they received it. YOUR DONE. Now all you have to do is show up at the border with the car.

Hi! I thought I'd highjack this thread as you seem very knowledgeable. I own a 2012 Toyota Prius V. I just checked under the hood of my car, and there is a sticker with all of the info you listed: US EPA number, OBD CA II and No Adjustment Needed. Does this mean that I don't need to bother with a complience letter from Toyota? If all I have to do is fill out a few forms, that's easy enough. The car is all paid for, if that matters.

Thanks!

K1 Visa timeline: Application sent to Visa in hand: 10 months and 4 days (Texas Service Center)

02/26/2015: I-129F Application mailed to Texas lockbox

03/05/2015: NOA1 email notification

08/27/2015: NOA2! (176 days)

09/02/2015: Sent to NVC

09/14/2015: Called NVC and obtained MTL case number

09/18/2015: In Transit to MTL consulate

09/21/2015: Consulate received our file (24 days post-NOA2)

09/24/2015: Sent Packet 3 (unprompted, but CEAC status had updated a second time)

09/29/2015: Packet 4 received, interview scheduled. Still haven't received Packet 3, I advise not to wait for it!

10/09/2015: Received Packet 3 in the mail!

11/09/2015: Medical

12/16/2015: K1 Interview in Montreal (111 days from NOA2, 293 days total): Approved!

12/18/2015: CEAC status changed to Nonimmigrant Ready

12/21/2015: CEAC status changed to Nonimmigrant AP

12/24/2015: CEAC status changed to ISSUED! Merry Christmas!!

12/30/2015: Visa in hand

01/15/2016: POE @ Houlton, ME

01/22/2016: Married! (L)

AOS timeline: Application sent to card in hand: 6 months and 7 days.

01/25/2016: Mailed AOS, EAD & AP applications to Chicago via UPS

01/29/2016: NOA1 email notification x3

02/04/2016: Received NOA1 hard copies x3

02/29/2016: Still haven't received biometrics letter, Filed service request

03/30/2016: After more calls to Tier 2 and 2 service requests, letter still not received, USCIS said no appointment has been scheduled. Reached out to Congressman.

04/06/2016: Biometrics letter finally received thanks to Congressman's inquiry (Appointment scheduled 04/18/2016).

04/18/2016: Biometrics appointment

04/25/2016: Officially outside processing times for EAD/AP. Scheduled Infopass appointment for 05/10.

05/21/2016: Finally received email notice that EAD was approved on 05/19 after numerous service requests, infopass appt and ombudsman inquiry

05/23/2016: Received hard-copy letter notifying me that my AP was approved on the same day as my EAD. No hard-copy for EAD yet.

05/28/2016: Received EAD/AP Combo Card (122 days since filing).

06/21/2016: Received email notification of AOS interview (Appointment scheduled 07/21/2016)

07/21/2016: AOS interview. Approved, but file was missing medical. Local office can't issue GC until they receive medical from DOS.

07/25/2016: USCIS case status changed to New Card Is Being Produced!

08/01/2016: Green card in hand. ROC window opens Apr 29, 2018.

Hi! I thought I'd highjack this thread as you seem very knowledgeable. I own a 2012 Toyota Prius V. I just checked under the hood of my car, and there is a sticker with all of the info you listed: US EPA number, OBD CA II and No Adjustment Needed. Does this mean that I don't need to bother with a complience letter from Toyota? If all I have to do is fill out a few forms, that's easy enough. The car is all paid for, if that matters.

Thanks!

See.. when I called the border they told me it had to specifically say FMVSS or something to that degree to be safety compliant. The phrase stated above is the EPA emission requirement only, which is why I am anticipating trouble with my car. I THINK Bonnie&Bob may have had it lucky. I'm not sure. I'm still going to try it anyways on Thursday 24th because it's the best shot I have since Hyundai don't issue US compliance letters but I will update once I cross over. I'm pretty sure Toyota issues them so I would get it - I'd rather be in your shoes and just have it available since it doesn't strictly say FMVSS on your car.

Spoiler

K1

AOS

ROC

All done, for now. 

Timeline

See.. when I called the border they told me it had to specifically say FMVSS or something to that degree to be safety compliant. The phrase stated above is the EPA emission requirement only, which is why I am anticipating trouble with my car. I THINK Bonnie&Bob may have had it lucky. I'm not sure. I'm still going to try it anyways on Thursday 24th because it's the best shot I have since Hyundai don't issue US compliance letters but I will update once I cross over. I'm pretty sure Toyota issues them so I would get it - I'd rather be in your shoes and just have it available since it doesn't strictly say FMVSS on your car.

You're probably right, I should try to get that letter since Toyota seems to be willing to issue it, just to cover all my bases.

I wish you luck, please update once you've made it through!

K1 Visa timeline: Application sent to Visa in hand: 10 months and 4 days (Texas Service Center)

09/24/2015: Sent Packet 3 (unprompted, but CEAC status had updated a second time)

09/29/2015: Packet 4 received, interview scheduled. Still haven't received Packet 3, I advise not to wait for it!

12/16/2015: K1 Interview in Montreal (111 days from NOA2, 293 days total): Approved!

03/30/2016: After more calls to Tier 2 and 2 service requests, letter still not received, USCIS said no appointment has been scheduled. Reached out to Congressman.

04/06/2016: Biometrics letter finally received thanks to Congressman's inquiry (Appointment scheduled 04/18/2016).

04/25/2016: Officially outside processing times for EAD/AP. Scheduled Infopass appointment for 05/10.

05/21/2016: Finally received email notice that EAD was approved on 05/19 after numerous service requests, infopass appt and ombudsman inquiry

05/23/2016: Received hard-copy letter notifying me that my AP was approved on the same day as my EAD. No hard-copy for EAD yet.

06/21/2016: Received email notification of AOS interview (Appointment scheduled 07/21/2016)

07/21/2016: AOS interview. Approved, but file was missing medical. Local office can't issue GC until they receive medical from DOS.

Timeline

Do you happen to know of official documentation that backs this? I don't doubt it but I'd like to have something printed I can take with me at my POE in case they tell me I have to pay taxes. i only found the following on the CBP website, but I'm not sure that's what I want as it mentions a one year limit!

"

Nonresidents may import a vehicle duty-free for personal use up to (1) one year if the vehicle is imported in conjunction with the owner's arrival. Vehicles imported under this provision that do not conform to U.S. safety and emission standards must be exported within one year and may not be sold in the U.S. There is no exemption or extension of the export requirementa."

Yes! Definitely be prepared. The letter also states any past recalls too which is something you need, I think.

Do you happen to know of official documentation that backs this? I don't doubt it but I'd like to have something printed I can take with me at my POE in case they tell me I have to pay taxes. i only found the following on the CBP website, but I'm not sure that's what I want as it mentions a one year limit!

"
Nonresidents may import a vehicle duty-free for personal use up to (1) one year if the vehicle is imported in conjunction with the owner's arrival. Vehicles imported under this provision that do not conform to U.S. safety and emission standards must be exported within one year and may not be sold in the U.S. There is no exemption or extension of the export requirementa."

And because I read that post when I made this topic I also have that prepared and printed! Here is what I'm using:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/218/kw/requirements%20for%20importing%20a%20vehicle

10th paragraph!

If the vehicle has not been in your household for at least one year, you will be required to pay 2.5% duty, which is assessed based on the purchase price or blue book value.

And don't forget to lowball your car (i.e. say you live in Florida when you go to KBB) because when you go to register you'll have to pay the state sales tax!!

Edited by beccajayne93
Spoiler

K1

AOS

ROC

All done, for now. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

When I was looking into this for my car, I was told that the sticker under the hood isn't enough, that you also need the letter from the AMERICAN company (in my case calling Jeep Canada would not have worked, I needed to call Jeep USA for them to issue the letter). I also printed out a separate letter that showed that all my recalls were up to date. Seems pretty ridiculous since my car is actually built in Ohio, but I get that the safety & emission standards are different between the two countries.

One thing to keep in mind, there may be some issues in registering your imported vehicle in your destination state. It seems that different states have different rules for specific safety equipment/options. In Canada, daytime running lights are mandatory, in the states they don't seem to be. It also appears that TPMS is a requirement in some states, while in others it isn't. Do your homework for not only the import, but also the registration to avoid some big disappointments once you're down there.

I-129F Sent : 2014-12-16

I-129F NOA1 : 2014-12-22

I-129F NOA2 : 2015-06-23

NVC Received : 2015-07-09

Date Case #, IIN, and BIN assigned : 2015-07-09

Medical : 2015-09-21

Interview : 2015-09-28 APPROVED

Visa in hand : 2015-10-02

US Entry : 2015-11-21

Wedding : 2015-12-12

AOS/AP/EAD request sent : 2015-12-22

AOS/AP/EAD NOA1: 2015-12-30

AOS Biometrics : 2016-01-25

AOS Approved : 2016-03-01

Permanent Resident card in hand : 2016-03-07

When I was looking into this for my car, I was told that the sticker under the hood isn't enough, that you also need the letter from the AMERICAN company (in my case calling Jeep Canada would not have worked, I needed to call Jeep USA for them to issue the letter). I also printed out a separate letter that showed that all my recalls were up to date. Seems pretty ridiculous since my car is actually built in Ohio, but I get that the safety & emission standards are different between the two countries.

One thing to keep in mind, there may be some issues in registering your imported vehicle in your destination state. It seems that different states have different rules for specific safety equipment/options. In Canada, daytime running lights are mandatory, in the states they don't seem to be. It also appears that TPMS is a requirement in some states, while in others it isn't. Do your homework for not only the import, but also the registration to avoid some big disappointments once you're down there.

Agree'd with this. Some states require annual inspections at a official inspection place, while other states do not require inspections. It can even go down into the county's or parishes of the states! Some countys in Texas have emissions testings, while other countys don't. It's not always state wide in all states. So you'll want to check county requirements too.

And like someone said on paying the sales tax, here in Bexar county (San Antonio) Texas, the sales tax is 6%! If you can't provide a receipt of how much you paid for it, they'll look up the kelly blue book value and have you write a statement about how much you paid, then charge 6% from what ever you say unless it's too low. If you low ball too low (under fair Kelly blue book value) they'll just go with fair in the KBB. So if you paid 5000$ for your car, you're looking at 300$ at registration, JUST for sales tax, not including all the other fees. If you paid 10,000, you're looking at a whopping 600$.

The only way around the sales tax I believe is to prove you moved into that area within 30 days, but since you can't even really do anything the first 30 days and you won't have much proof, it's hard to get around it, especially since most people don't register their car within 30 days of moving (as you're told you have a year to do so). That's here at least, other states and county's may differ.

As I said in another thread. All this car stuff and importation drives me crazy, luckily my fiance is just going to sell his car and we're going to buy a used one here LOL.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I just spoke with a Border Officer who stated that to bring a vehicle across the border and import it, that a letter or stickers need to state it passes EPA and DOT standards. He also stated that any vehicle that was manufactured in Canada or the U.S. does not require duty to be paid

Service Center : Texas Service Center

Consulate : Montreal, Canada

Marriage (if applicable): 2014/10/04

I-130 Sent : 2014-11-04

I-130 NOA1 : 2014-11-12

I-130 Approved : 2015-03-26

NVC Received : 2015-04-14

Received DS-261 / AOS Bill : 2015-04-23

Pay AOS Bill : 2015-04-23

Send AOS Package : 2015-05-15

Submit DS-261 : 2015-04-23

Receive IV Bill : 2015-05-01

Pay IV Bill : 2015-06-10

Send IV Package : 2015-05-15

Completed DS-260: 2015-06-11

Receive Instruction and Interview appointment letter :2015-08-27

Case Completed at NVC : 2015-07-15

Interview Date : September 24, 2015

Interview Result : Administrative Processing

Visa Received : October 15, 2015

US Entry : November 11, 2015

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.