Jump to content

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello. I have a question regarding the Federal income tax return. I only have been filling income tax for the past 2 years due to the fact that I was studying aboard before that. I can submit my last 2 years of tax return and leave out the third or is there anything I can do to get the third year. Thanks.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

What does that mean? Get the 3rd?

You either filed that 3rd year or you didnt.

If you filed the 3rd year you can obtain a copy of what you filed from the IRS. You can go to a local IRS walk in office, obtain transcripts online etc etc. (lots of threads detailing how to do so)

If you didnt file-- well. Heres the thing. If you didnt have to file then you simply write a letter stating that you were exempt from filing. The 864 states to do so in the instructions. Read them carefully and youll find it hidden in there. (again lots of info in the forums and examples if you need specific help)

If you WERE suppose to file and you DID NOT. Then you need to fie them now. late, yes, but they need to be filed and you need to attach them as the 3rd year with your 864.


I know my reply is brief. Im not being obtuse. I just dont want to flood you with unnecessary info w.o knowing what your specific problem is. Please feel free to post back if you need more help, and someone will gladly walk you through step by step what to do, or if you are a do it yourself-er search the forums because you are not the first! The 864 is a horrid form that needs to be checked and double checked before submitting.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks. No I didn't have to file. I was filed as a dependent. I will re-read the instructions again. I also have another question. My father will be sponsoring but he doesn't live in the same household as me. Do I have to fill out the I-864A or an I-864.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

The USC petitioner is always the primary sponsor and must fill out an I-864. The USC petitioner would never fill out an I-864A. The I-864A is used for a qualifying household member to combine their income with that of the sponsor filing the I-864.

USC petitioner/sponsor = I-864

Joint sponsor = their own separate I-864

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > http://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ%20-%20Ciudad%20Juarez.pdf

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.