jc84

this will be a problem ?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

hi guys I need some advices pls.

I married USC august 2011

GC approved January 2012

10 years GC approved February 2014

now my wife filed for divorce and we put that we are separated for long time so we can get the divorce quick.would like to know if the divorce decree says we were separated ,lets say august 2013 (before we sent the I-751 jointly) and divorce filed march 2015,this will be an issue when I apply for citizenship when I have 5 years of residence ?if that matters if the divorce decree says we were separated before we went the I-751 or what matters is the filling date of divorce or the final divorce date?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

hi guys I need some advices pls.

I married USC august 2011

GC approved January 2012

10 years GC approved February 2014

now my wife filed for divorce and we put that we are separated for long time so we can get the divorce quick.would like to know if the divorce decree says we were separated ,lets say august 2013 (before we sent the I-751 jointly) and divorce filed march 2015,this will be an issue when I apply for citizenship when I have 5 years of residence ?if that matters if the divorce decree says we were separated before we went the I-751 or what matters is the filling date of divorce or the final divorce date?

When you filed the I-751 you were either together or separated; not both. So you either lied on the divorce filing or you lied on the I-751. If they notice (which may not happen) the discrepancy then I would guess that it would be a problem because I don't see how you explain this away.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Filed: Timeline

we were together and we just put the separation date because she wanted to divorce right away and in our state they require to be separated 1 year and that's why we set the date but reading some cases and forums,i don't know if this going to be a problem when I apply for citizenship

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

we were together and we just put the separation date because she wanted to divorce right away and in our state they require to be separated 1 year and that's why we set the date but reading some cases and forums,i don't know if this going to be a problem when I apply for citizenship

As I said, you lied on an official form. That's not good.

Yes, it might be can be a problem.

It reflects badly on your moral character which is a requirement for naturalization.

Best case: they don't care or they don't notice and you get approved.

Worst case: you get denied for poor moral character and you must wait for a period of 5 years from the date the offense occurred (5 years from the day you filled out the divorce papers) before you can apply.

It's very unlikely that anything more serious than a denial will take place.

That's it with respect to citizenship, but if I were you, I would look into whether or not the divorce is actually valid since you filed fraudulently.

This might affect any future marriages.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.