Bone

MARRIAGE STATUS

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hello All,

I need your urgent input especially the experienced once. I applied for the DL Lottery, won and processed the case number as a single person. However I got married after processing the Case number for the interview coming up this April ending as single. If I should be asked about my marrital status now should i keep it as SINGLE? or tell the embassy about my current marrital status in order not to affect us when filling for her in the future.

Kindly please help. Thanks.

Why on earth did you not inform KCC about the marriage when it happened? You need to get in touch with your embassy, who will now have the case file if an interview has been scheduled already, and tell them you need to unlock your DS260 to add a spouse.

If you go to the interview as single, you will be found out either at the interview or later when you try sponsor your wife and either be denied a visa now, or have your green card revoked later for withholding material information on the application. Fix it NOW! You will need to change your DS to add your wife as derivative, fill in one for her, and bring marriage certificate and any proof you have of a bona fide relationship (photos letters etc) to the interview.

Timeline

Why on earth did you not inform KCC about the marriage when it happened? You need to get in touch with your embassy, who will now have the case file if an interview has been scheduled already, and tell them you need to unlock your DS260 to add a spouse.

If you go to the interview as single, you will be found out either at the interview or later when you try sponsor your wife and either be denied a visa now, or have your green card revoked later for withholding material information on the application. Fix it NOW! You will need to change your DS to add your wife as derivative, fill in one for her, and bring marriage certificate and any proof you have of a bona fide relationship (photos letters etc) to the interview.

Hello SusieQQQ, Thanks for your repply. However i processed the DS260 in September 2014 and got married in January 2015. My worry is considering the slow nature of case processing this year which could risk my scheduled date i didnt want to unlock the DS260 after i got married. I didnt withhold material information (mariage status ) at the time of DS260 processing. But my worry is should i inform them of my new status during the interview and does it affect me negatively consideering this facts or i should just keep it single still afterall at DS260 process time I was single?.

Thanks

Ok, let me repeat this again. DONT KEEP IT SINGLE. That is material misrepresentation. The facts have changed since you filled the DS260 and you have to tell them. If you keep it as single, you will either be denied a visa, or get your green card revoked if they find out later rather than now. You will never be able to bring your wife over. You DO NOT HAVE A CHOICE in whether or not to tell them you are married. You have to tell them the truth. And if I were you, I would do it NOW and not in the interview, your interview is scheduled, it can't be delayed.

Timeline

Ok, let me repeat this again. DONT KEEP IT SINGLE. That is material misrepresentation. The facts have changed since you filled the DS260 and you have to tell them. If you keep it as single, you will either be denied a visa, or get your green card revoked if they find out later rather than now. You will never be able to bring your wife over. You DO NOT HAVE A CHOICE in whether or not to tell them you are married. You have to tell them the truth. And if I were you, I would do it NOW and not in the interview, your interview is scheduled, it can't be delayed.

Thank you very much Susie, I will get it corrected ASAP.

Filed: Other Timeline

Just as SusieQQQ said, get this done like YESTERDAY!!!!

Filed: Other Country: Ghana
Timeline

hi guys am new here but need help. we applied for the dv lottery as family and my wife won last year. however when we were filling out ds-260 forms we made an error. our date for interview is 11th may. what can we do in order to make the correction? can we do it on the day of the interview? we need an advice

hi guys am new here but need help. we applied for the dv lottery as family and my wife won last year. however when we were filling out ds-260 forms we made an error. our date for interview is 11th may. what can we do in order to make the correction? can we do it on the day of the interview? we need an advice

Hard to advise without knowing the error. I'd say in general, important errors should be notified in advance, minor ones you can do at the interview.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.