aspec

Military physician vaccination supplement (I-693)

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My fiancee had her medical examination for the K-1 visa performed in Japan but they told her she would need to get her vaccinations once she arrived to the U.S. They gave her a copy of a DS-2054 and DS-3030.

We're trying to submit the AOS packet but my understanding is we need the vaccination supplement filled out on the I-693. My question is, can a military physician perform the vaccinations and fill out the I-693? According to this website, https://my.uscis.gov/findadoctor, it states:

When you apply for a green card (adjustment of status), you usually need to have a medical examination. The exam must be done by a doctor who is authorized by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. Authorized doctors are called civil surgeons. Military physicians are authorized to perform immigration medical exams at a military treatment facility (MTF) within the United States for veterans, members of the military, and designated dependents.

Looking at the I-693, it only mentions Civil Surgeon. When I look up doctors in my area, my local military base is not listed. Does anyone know if I can still use my military physician to have the I-693 vaccination supplement filled out? Thanks.

My fiancee had her medical examination for the K-1 visa performed in Japan but they told her she would need to get her vaccinations once she arrived to the U.S. They gave her a copy of a DS-2054 and DS-3030.

We're trying to submit the AOS packet but my understanding is we need the vaccination supplement filled out on the I-693. My question is, can a military physician perform the vaccinations and fill out the I-693? According to this website, https://my.uscis.gov/findadoctor, it states:

When you apply for a green card (adjustment of status), you usually need to have a medical examination. The exam must be done by a doctor who is authorized by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. Authorized doctors are called civil surgeons. Military physicians are authorized to perform immigration medical exams at a military treatment facility (MTF) within the United States for veterans, members of the military, and designated dependents.

Looking at the I-693, it only mentions Civil Surgeon. When I look up doctors in my area, my local military base is not listed. Does anyone know if I can still use my military physician to have the I-693 vaccination supplement filled out? Thanks.

Yes. I am in the Army and my wife got her I-693 done at Madigan Army Medical Center at JBLM, WA. Military hospitals do have doctors that are Civil Surgeons, you just have to do a little bit of searching. The best part is that is totally free including any vaccinations needed as long as she in already in DEERS.

Where are you stationed at? maybe I can look some up.

Edited by Jose&Eli

21 Aug 2013: I-129F Sent

11 Feb 2014: Visa APPROVED!

20 May 2014: Wedding!

--

31 Jul 2014: Mailed AOS Packet

12 Feb 2015: AOS Interview - Approved

--

22 Feb 2017: Mailed ROC Packet

08 Aug 2018: ROC Approved

I'm at Langley AFB, VA.

So the military physician HAS to be a civil surgeon? The way the website reads, it specifically states:

"Military physicians are authorized to perform immigration medical exams at a military treatment facility (MTF) within the United States for veterans, members of the military, and designated dependents."

To me, that means it can be a civil surgeon OR a military physician. However, the section that the doctor signs on the I-693 states:

" I certify under penalty of perjury under United States law that: I am a civil surgeon designated to examine applicants seeking certain immigration benefits in the U.S. OR a physician who qualifies under a blanket designation specified by policy or law;"

I'm not sure if military doctors qualify under a blanket designation specified by policy or law.

This whole medical process is an absolute pain for AOS. None of the civil surgeons around here are willing to do just the vaccination supplement portion of the I-693, they all claim they have to do the entire medical examination again.

They have to be certified and be able to perform immigration medical exams. Of all the phycisians at MAMC there were only about 4 that could do it, and thery are familiar with form I-693, which you have to print and fill out page 1 prior to the appointment. Call Langley's main hopital family medicine and let them know what you are trying to do, they should know who can perform the medical exam or transcribe the vaccinations if that is all you need done. Tricare is not helpful because they do not know who is and who isn't certified as a Civil Surgeon. Good luck.

--

--

This whole medical process is an absolute pain for AOS. None of the civil surgeons around here are willing to do just the vaccination supplement portion of the I-693, they all claim they have to do the entire medical examination again.

Our civil surgeon did end up doing the whole medical exam as well, but it was all questions and blood draw, after a few days he had the results and signed the from and gave it to us in a sealed envelope.

--

--

• 11 months later...

Yes. I am in the Army and my wife got her I-693 done at Madigan Army Medical Center at JBLM, WA. Military hospitals do have doctors that are Civil Surgeons, you just have to do a little bit of searching. The best part is that is totally free including any vaccinations needed as long as she in already in DEERS.

Where are you stationed at? maybe I can look some up.

We are in Patrick Air Force base right now. Can you help us out? I need to get the vaccination done :(. Or can you tell me how to look it up? Thank you so much!

Call medical reception on base and explain what you need the appointment for. They will give you an appointment with the right doctor. That's what I did and everything went fine.

• 4 months later...
Filed: Other Timeline

How can you search for a military physician who can do the i-693? I asked the reception at the military hospital but she is not familiar with that kind of doctor who can do the medical for uscis. I got transferred several times but no one seems to know what kind of doctor I'm really looking for.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.