Jump to content

Changing name to married name after AOS approval and GC production

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Not even sure if I posted this in the right section, if not please move. I've tried and searched the forum, but couldn't find an exact answer. Here's my dilemma:

I got married to USC and we consulted a lawyer for a bunch of questions we've had. He advised us to wait with changing my last name to my husbands until after the AOS application. So we filed all AOS papers in my maiden name. While waiting for EAD I had plenty of time on my hands and discovered on VJ that I could've just applied with my married name. I thought SSC had to be in married name in order for it to be official and in order for USCIS to find me in "the system". Now after we did our interview and got approved and received GC I'm wondering if we should file i90 to replace green card, which would cost another $450, or if we should wait two years until we remove the conditions. I really really want to take my husbands name and am kind of upset to have been misinformed by our lawyer. Could I change my SSC and DL and bank info and everything else into my married name and just leave GC in maiden until the removal of conditions? Or should I file i90 and then change everything on all the other things like DL? I'm just so confused by what step to do first. Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would wait the 2 years to change your GC. But you can change your SSN card by taking your marriage certificate down to the SSA office and requesting the change. Also bring your marriage certificate to chance your DL, bank account, etc... the only time after that you will need your marriage certificate will be for travel as you should book any plane tickets travelling outside the USA with your passport name. Any travel inside the USA can be booked with either green card name or DL.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.