aquafiree

Affidavit of Support,Joint Sponors and Tax Returns

6 posts in this topic

Hello I am the husband of Shelley and have a couple questions. I wanted to inquire about having multiple joint sponsors and if its beneficial to have more than one joint sponsor? another thing i wanted to know the one joint sponsor we have will file for his taxes this year he hasn't filed yet, will we be able to use that tax return? he makes way over the poverty guidelines and has been for years just hasn't filed for taxes for the past couple of years. but all in all if everything is ok with my joint sponsor being able to file this year for his taxes that will be awesome but if not we might have to look into having multiple joint sponsors. thank you for anyone who helps I really appreciate it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

You can only have one joint sponsor.

If the interview is after April 15th, you will need to show the 2014 taxes; there is a small chance that one year is enough, but they usually want 3 years tax filing. The joint sponsor can backfile taxes (or show evidence as to why he was not required to file).

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Our joint sponsor is a 21 years old, self employed businessman. He is my cousin. He makes over 500k usd a year. He didn't file his taxes last year but he filed his taxes this year and payed his taxes last year. He has only 1 income tax return. I've read some of the threads that their joint sponsors are their parents. Is it the same rules in ireland and philippines interms of affifavit of support?

You can only have one joint sponsor.

If the interview is after April 15th, you will need to show the 2014 taxes; there is a small chance that one year is enough, but they usually want 3 years tax filing. The joint sponsor can backfile taxes (or show evidence as to why he was not required to file).

According to the I-864 instructions you can have up to two joint sponsors. (Page 3, Item 1.e.)

"Ad Astra Per Aspera"

"Audentes Fortuna Adiuvat"

==========

Dec 11, 2014 - Filed I-130 via DCF @ US Embassy Manila (...and we're on the clock...) - Read about my experience filing DCF here > http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/527064-filed-dcf-i-130-for-ir-1-at-us-embassy-manila-aar/

Dec 11, 2014 - NOA1: Not sure what to put here, Dec 11, 2014, Dec 24, 2014 or something in between.

Dec 24, 2014 - NOA2: I called USCIS @ USEM on Jan 5, 2015 and was told the I-130 was approved on Christmas Eve. Thank you Santa!

Jan 13, 2015 - MNL Case Number & Packet 3 Received via email (I emailed the IV Unit-Manila requesting these on Jan 5, 2015 and Jan 12, 2015)

Jan 21, 2015 - NOA2: Mailed (via PhilPost!) paper/hard copy delivered to our place here in Manila.

Jan 22, 2015 - Packet 3: Mailed (again via PhilPost!) paper/hard copy delivered to out place here in Manila.

Feb 24 & 25, 2015 - Day 1 & Day 2 of Medical @ SLEC. Immunizations given on Day 2, thankfully

Mar 5, 2015 - USEM Interview Appointment - IR-1 Visa Approved! (CEAC Status updated to ISSUED afternoon of interview day)

Mar 10, 2015 - 3pm - Received SMS saying IV Package ready for pickup at 2GO MoA. Picked up at 5pm. (Shipped/Picked Up/In Hand on 3rd Business Day post interview)

Mar 13, 2015 - CFO Manila - Done

==========

Now disposing/selling/giving away/shipping to the US stuff from 14 years in the PHL and 4 years together before heading to POE.

Our joint sponsor is a 21 years old, self employed businessman. He is my cousin. He makes over 500k usd a year. He didn't file his taxes last year but he filed his taxes this year and payed his taxes last year. He has only 1 income tax return. I've read some of the threads that their joint sponsors are their parents. Is it the same rules in ireland and philippines interms of affifavit of support?

From what I'm reading and understanding from your posts, you might conceivably run into a little trouble if you use your cousin. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but that's my impression from your posts. You mentioned your original post, "he makes way over the poverty guidelines and has been for years just hasn't filed for taxes for the past couple of years".

Is there any chance that your cousin owes back taxes? Like penguin said, they usually want the past 3 years of tax info (2014, 2013, 2012 in this case). As it says in page 6, Item 14 on the I-864 Instructions,

"If you were required to file a Federal income Tax Return during any of the previous three tax years but did not do so, you must file any and all late returns with IRS and attach an IRS-generated tax return transcript documenting your late filing before submitting the I-864 Affidavit of Support. If you were not required to file a Federal income tax return under U.S. Tax law because your income was too low, attach a written explanation. If you were not required to file a Federal income tax return under U.S. tax law for any other reason, attach a written explanation including evidence of the exemption and how you are subject to it."

If he didn't make enough to be required to file, he'll need to write an explanation why. If he wasn't required to for any other reason he'll have to write why as well. Any chance he can do you a solid and file his back taxes before signing on as a joint sponsor, or is my impression totally wrong here?

Is your other prospective joint sponsor meet the income requirement and has filed his/her 1040s for the past 3 years?

The point here is for the sponsor to show a stable source of income (as far back as 3 years).

"Ad Astra Per Aspera"

"Audentes Fortuna Adiuvat"

==========

Dec 11, 2014 - Filed I-130 via DCF @ US Embassy Manila (...and we're on the clock...) - Read about my experience filing DCF here > http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/527064-filed-dcf-i-130-for-ir-1-at-us-embassy-manila-aar/

Dec 11, 2014 - NOA1: Not sure what to put here, Dec 11, 2014, Dec 24, 2014 or something in between.

Dec 24, 2014 - NOA2: I called USCIS @ USEM on Jan 5, 2015 and was told the I-130 was approved on Christmas Eve. Thank you Santa!

Jan 13, 2015 - MNL Case Number & Packet 3 Received via email (I emailed the IV Unit-Manila requesting these on Jan 5, 2015 and Jan 12, 2015)

Jan 21, 2015 - NOA2: Mailed (via PhilPost!) paper/hard copy delivered to our place here in Manila.

Jan 22, 2015 - Packet 3: Mailed (again via PhilPost!) paper/hard copy delivered to out place here in Manila.

Feb 24 & 25, 2015 - Day 1 & Day 2 of Medical @ SLEC. Immunizations given on Day 2, thankfully

Mar 5, 2015 - USEM Interview Appointment - IR-1 Visa Approved! (CEAC Status updated to ISSUED afternoon of interview day)

Mar 10, 2015 - 3pm - Received SMS saying IV Package ready for pickup at 2GO MoA. Picked up at 5pm. (Shipped/Picked Up/In Hand on 3rd Business Day post interview)

Mar 13, 2015 - CFO Manila - Done

==========

Now disposing/selling/giving away/shipping to the US stuff from 14 years in the PHL and 4 years together before heading to POE.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.