duvalin

DS260 help with address for petitioner, please!

96 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Our area is pretty fast, houses last barely a week or two. The house next door sold in one day! But is early Spring and that's probably why. How would it be in the Summer months, maybe the same. We are not sure whether putting our house for sale is relinquishing residence abroad or if it is necessary for the interview at all, what do you think?. Should we just wait until after the visa approval to list since he has already move to Michigan? or should we definitely list it before?

Sometimes its a tax issue too.

Find out how long it takes to close.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Sometimes you have to pay tax in the USA or pay extra taxes in Canada because you're no longer a resident of Canada when the sale of the house finally goes through. I was reading another couple threads about this issue during the year. I cannot remember who or what exactly it was, but they were trying to sell their house but didn't want to pay extra taxes on it.

Edited by NLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Oh, I see. We will make sure to ask our tax account to make sure we don't run into anything regarding the sell. Thanks for clarifying!

I have a very different question in regards to the translation of my support documents (birth certificate, police reports) if you don't mind..... I took the documents to a local multicultural council where they offer the translation services. They say they print an affidavit along with the translated documents stating that it's a true translation. And a logo / seal of their organization. I wonder if this would be good enough? Because they asked if it need it to be a certified translation they would have to send it out and it will take much longer.

No thats more than fine as a translation. Even you can translate your own documents or anyone else who is fluent in both languages.

Timeline

That's good to know! Thanks! We have been packing all weekend and been busy taking care of that. He crossed the border today, and he is unpacking almost everything in the new house. One or two more trips to go... It's so odd, the story repeats again. He is texting me pics of where stuff should go in the new house.. Similar thing happened 10 years ago..

Tomorrow we take the pics for the visa, which we will be taking ourselves. then, I am still waiting for my fingerprints results from the RCMP and translations. After all in hand, I will scan it all and send it via email, which I wonder since my case starts with MTL, it says I get to choose email or mail? Is there somewhere where I get to choose or automatically is chosen once I email everything? Thanks again for this help! Through this process!

You can choose either email or mail, but not both. Right now I suggest snail mailing right now as it's about twice as fast.

You only needed the fingerprint police certificate if you have been convicted of a crime. If that is the case then you also need the court records.

Timeline

Mailing it would be faster? wow, didn't know that, thanks! And I don't have any crime records, I just asked the local office, its called the Commissioners, and they told me that if I went to the Police Station or the RCMP they would refer me to them for finger prints. So I was a little confused, when they said that.. I hope is ok.

Edited by duvalin

Timeline

Also, NLR: when we called a few weeks ago, they asked us for our email address, and when we paid the fees online we entered our email address, does this means that we have already chosen the email way of communications with them, I am just a little confused. And, should I go to the Police Station instead and get the normal police records? Thanks.

Edited by duvalin

Also, NLR: when we called a few weeks ago, they asked us for our email address, and when we paid the fees online we entered our email address, does this means that we have already chosen the email way of communications with them, I am just a little confused. And, should I go to the Police Station instead and get the normal police records? Thanks.

No everyone does that kind of email communication. But you can either email the AOS and copies of civil docs or mail the AOS and copies of the civil docs. Mail is taking them about 30-45 days to review and email is about 70.

I wouldn't worry about police certificate having fingerprints. No point in getting a new one unless you're waiting for that to send the documents package and you can get the package sent sooner.

Don't forget you need the two photos to be 50mmx50mm (US sized) passport pics. The pic will be on your visa and green card. And you need 5 for the medical.

Timeline

Sorry again, for some reason I have all of these questions all of the sudden?... I got thinking, when I submit the docs to NVC, this week, do I have to send proof of his new residency address, to make sure they know that he already has moved there? In the DS260 and affidavit of support we wrote down the new address in the US which is where he just moved today.

I am also concerned that the last 3 year 1044 tax forms shows that he was living in Canada. Now that he has moved, would they think is ok? Would writing a letter saying that he lived in Canada for the last several years, but now has moved to the US to establish domicile etc, is that necessary? He kept everything back in the US, bank accounts, etc in a PO box, should he change all of his address to the new house? Again so many questions for one night? thank you NLR.

As long as his i-864 says his domicile is in the USA and you put down a US address to move to, at this time nothing more is needed. Bring any proof of his domicile to interview.

Timeline

Thank you again for clarifying all!.. Today I got the RCMP police reports in the mail! so I am only waiting for translations from the multicultural office. I am going to mail them, via FEDEX or does it have to be regular mail? as well, we got the photos done today, my spouse came for the second truck load of stuff and while he was here, we went and got the photos done. I am wondering what information to write in the back of the photos, name, and case # would be enough? and if we both need to send two pictures each? Please let me know. Thank you!!

Edited by duvalin

Only mail copies unless it's an actual form like the I-864. Take the originals to interview. Keep a copy of everything for yourself too. :)

on the back of the photos write your full name, dob, and case number.

Only pictures for the beneficiary. But you need 2 for the interview and 5 for the medical.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.