orangeblossom

Question regarding packet 3 and form DS-160 for Cambodia

25 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline
I'm a USA petitioner filing for a K1 Visa for my Cambodian citizen fiance. I checked my case number on the NVC website and it says status "Ready" and the popup message say "Your case is ready for your interview when scheduled at the U.S. Consular section. If you have already scheduled an appointment for an interview, please prepare your document as directed in your appointment letter and appear at the consulate on the appointed date and time. Otherwise please wait until you're notified of your interview appointment." My question is do the embassy send out a confirmation letter to the petitioner address for packet 3? So far I've recieved a letter from NVC saying the my paperwork is with the embassy. I haven't receive any letter from the embassy regarding the next step. What's the next step and when is my fiance allow to fill out online form DS-160?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Country-specific thread moved from K-1 Process forum to the Asia/East & Pacific regional subforum. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Hi Orangeblossom,

I have a few questions I need your help:

1. how to check NVC to see if your case is ready?

2. when is the earliest possible to fill out the DS-160 so to schedule interview appointment? do I wait for NVC to notify me? or US embassy in Phnom Penh to send me the letter?

3. If the Embassy send the letter, they send it to me in US or my fiance in Cambodia?

4. Is DS-160 confirmation page the only thing I need to email them to get an interview appointment? I heard I have to send in I-134 and 169 too? But on the 169 form checklist, I saw I-134 is on the list of documents to bring in to present during the interview. And form169 says don't send anything to the embassy.

Please help.

Timeline

Hi Orangeblossom,

I have a few questions I need your help:

1. how to check NVC to see if your case is ready?

2. when is the earliest possible to fill out the DS-160 so to schedule interview appointment? do I wait for NVC to notify me? or US embassy in Phnom Penh to send me the letter?

3. If the Embassy send the letter, they send it to me in US or my fiance in Cambodia?

4. Is DS-160 confirmation page the only thing I need to email them to get an interview appointment? I heard I have to send in I-134 and 169 too? But on the 169 form checklist, I saw I-134 is on the list of documents to bring in to present during the interview. And form169 says don't send anything to the embassy.

Please help.

Chhay8882: hey, I'm in Cambodia at the moment. My interview is tomorrow. Internet connection here is bad. I'll message you later this weekend at home. I'll answer all your questions.

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Hi folks,

I too have the same questions as Chhay8882. If you get a chance to tell us what steps you took that'd be great. It doesn't seem like you're told you can't do all the paperwork in advance of NVC sending the case to the embassy, and that could get you on the interview list sooner. Should we be doing that?

Timeline

Hello guys! Sorry for the late reply. I just got back from Cambodia. Sad to say my fiancé and I did not pass our interview. We're going to refile our K1 petition.

Anyways, Did you get your NOA2 yet? Have you contact the NVC for your case number yet? You can contact NVC for your case number after 2.5 weeks of receiving the letter. Calling them is a pain because the line is always busy. Just keep redialing and you'll get through. The case number is to track to see if the embassy recieved your packet. If you don't want to call you can wait for the NVC to mail you a confirmation letter. The contain your case number. Your foreign fiance can fillout online form DS-160 once the embassy noted that your case is ready for interview. Go ahead and fillout the form and email the embassy the confirmation letter and they will schedule your interview.

Timeline

Skip packet 3. You turn in the affidavit of support at the time of the interview. The embassy will mail the petitioner a checklist and invitation letter known as packet 4. It takes about 1 month for the petitioner to get the letter. Meanwhile after your foreign fiance submit DS-160 form don't forget to pay visa interview fee at ACELEDA bank. It's around $265. You'll need a deposit slip to pay the fee. You can print out the deposit slip online. Make sure you keep the receipt. Good luck on the interview! Feel free to ask me if you have anymore quedtions.

Timeline

Oh no, Orangeblossom. I'm so sorry to hear that. Did they give any reason to why you and your fiance didn't pass the interview? You even went back to cambodia to attend the interview. Now i am worried. So you gonna re-file the K1 visa again? we can do that? I thought the only option is to get married and file K3.

Timeline

Hello guys! Sorry for the late reply. I just got back from Cambodia. Sad to say my fiancé and I did not pass our interview. We're going to refile our K1 petition.

Anyways, Did you get your NOA2 yet? Have you contact the NVC for your case number yet? You can contact NVC for your case number after 2.5 weeks of receiving the letter. Calling them is a pain because the line is always busy. Just keep redialing and you'll get through. The case number is to track to see if the embassy recieved your packet. If you don't want to call you can wait for the NVC to mail you a confirmation letter. The contain your case number. Your foreign fiance can fillout online form DS-160 once the embassy noted that your case is ready for interview. Go ahead and fillout the form and email the embassy the confirmation letter and they will schedule your interview.

I have another week before trying to contact the NVC for a case number. In the mean time I think I'll get started on our DS-160. It sounds like the medical exam can be done anytime now as well. They've updated the I-169 checklist (December 2014), which was a significant change from before.

I'm really sorry you guys didn't get past the interview. I am not attending so there is no "he said - she said" opportunity.

Edited by AKinPA

Timeline

They didn't say the reason to why we failed. After turning in mountain of evidence they're still not convinced we're real couple. The only options we have now is to refile or file for a CR1, spousal visa. They failed everyone at our interview. This embassy is tough because of past visa fraud. It just makes it harder for real couple like us to pass. Real couples don't just give up. They will continue to fight until they win this battle.

AkinPA- the medical exam cannot be done until 1 week prior to the interview. :)

Timeline

oh man, that sucks!!! and they didn't tell you what other options you have either? like you can do this, do this, and then we might re-consider?

so for CR1, that means you guys would get married and they file CR1? man, from what you told me, i think i will probably have 90% chance of failing the interview too, ughhh... this is hard. i can't barely wait 4 months, this means I have to re-file and wait even longer. I am actually considering moving back to cambodia to live with her there :(

Timeline

Oh yeah! Just FYI. Once you completed DS-160 do not submit it. Submit it when the embassy tells you your case is ready for interview.

I was hoping we could submit once the case number was in hand, as the submission just goes into some server. From what I read elsewhere it seems like waiting on the embassy (which provides no additional or new information, if you already have the case number) just adds a couple months to the interview schedule. What is everyone's opinion on this?

Thanks, and sorry again that you had issues. I am bringing my fiancee and her daughter, I hope having the girl helps build our case.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.