orangeblossom

Question regarding packet 3 and form DS-160 for Cambodia

25 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

oh man, that sucks!!! and they didn't tell you what other options you have either? like you can do this, do this, and then we might re-consider?

so for CR1, that means you guys would get married and they file CR1? man, from what you told me, i think i will probably have 90% chance of failing the interview too, ughhh... this is hard. i can't barely wait 4 months, this means I have to re-file and wait even longer. I am actually considering moving back to cambodia to live with her there :(

How many time have you met your fiance before you engaged? This embassy is known to fail folks who engaged during first visit. I know a lot of couple who failed because of this. Another red flag is meeting through family. I'm not going to file CR1. It's too much time consumming and complicated process. I'm just going to refile K1. You can refile right away just be sure to withdraw your current petition when you refile.

I was hoping we could submit once the case number was in hand, as the submission just goes into some server. From what I read elsewhere it seems like waiting on the embassy (which provides no additional or new information, if you already have the case number) just adds a couple months to the interview schedule. What is everyone's opinion on this?

Thanks, and sorry again that you had issues. I am bringing my fiancee and her daughter, I hope having the girl helps build our case.

I would just wait until you get the okay from the embassy to submit DS-160. :)

Timeline

Orangeblossom, according to you and their red flags, I would definitely fail the interview for sure. I met her last year on my first visit and decided to get engaged. We were introduced by our family members... ughhh... what's going on? I would get all the red flags :(

You mind if I ask you about your background a little bit? Are you cambodian? I grew up in cambodia and came here when I was 16. I still have lots of relatives back in PP, that's why it was easy and natural for me to go back and find someone. I know her family well too. I guess that's prolly doesn't matter. The Counselor officer prolly dont' care any of that :(

So how long does it take to re-file K1 vs. CR1? Mine took almost a year just to file K1 the first time, I live in texas so it was submitted to texas service center which is the slowest.

For re-filing, you just down the same K1 and send in the same documents? how do you withdraw your previous K1? which form do we fill out for that?

Timeline

Orangeblossom, according to you and their red flags, I would definitely fail the interview for sure. I met her last year on my first visit and decided to get engaged. We were introduced by our family members... ughhh... what's going on? I would get all the red flags :(

You mind if I ask you about your background a little bit? Are you cambodian? I grew up in cambodia and came here when I was 16. I still have lots of relatives back in PP, that's why it was easy and natural for me to go back and find someone. I know her family well too. I guess that's prolly doesn't matter. The Counselor officer prolly dont' care any of that :(

So how long does it take to re-file K1 vs. CR1? Mine took almost a year just to file K1 the first time, I live in texas so it was submitted to texas service center which is the slowest.

For re-filing, you just down the same K1 and send in the same documents? how do you withdraw your previous K1? which form do we fill out for that?

My case was sent to California processing center. California processing center is like taking the express lane. I filed the petition in February 2015 and my beloved got scheduled for an interview in May 2015. Only 4 months. As you can see our interview didn't went too well. I met my fiancé through my mom on Facebook. We started fb and Skyping with each other January 2014. I went to visit him in March 2014 and then went back in August 2014 for our engagement ceremony. So far I've visited him 3 times. I plan to go back in Sept 2015 and again in Dec 2015 for Christmas break. It'll be 5 visits in less than 2 years before our next interview. I hope we pass our 2nd interview. If not my fiancé and I will file a CR1. That means I will have to stay in Cambodia for 1 month to do paperwork. I can't afford to quit my job and take a month off from work. That's why I refiling is a better option for me. Yes, I will turn in all the same documents but I'll also be adding some more evidence.

You shouldn't give up too easily. Just go to the interview. You never know. You guys might get lucky and pass. :)

Timeline

man, you even visited many times before getting engaged. And you communicated with him for almost a year till you started filing. That's incredible that they failed you guys. I will not stand a chance. this sucks... I will definitely ask you for help when I do my re-filing of K1. Thank you for your quick reply. I am still waiting on NVC, so probably won't get an interview till Oct.

Beside re-filing, is there any other options? I am a bit frustrated and angry, if I didn't do anything and they fail me at the interview, I would definitely consider legal action against them. I wonder if we can hire an attorney and sue the United States of America for emotional and physical damages, and lost of work, etc. Because this is painful!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Country: Cambodia
Timeline

After reading these posts, I am so discouraged for my own journey since these red flags apply to me too.

I met my fiance through my dad in 2012 and we just got engaged this year. I've visited him 4 times already since then and we traveled to most of southeast asia together but after reading some of the experiences on here, it seems like that's not even enough. :( Anyhow, I have to stay positive and still try.

I filed the k-1 visa for him last week so I'm hoping for the best.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
Timeline

we passed the interview. we are very happy!! thank you all very much for helping!

chhay8882, can you give details about your interview? Did you attend? What questions did they ask your fiance? Did they raise any concerns about your red flags?

Timeline

My case was sent to California processing center. California processing center is like taking the express lane. I filed the petition in February 2015 and my beloved got scheduled for an interview in May 2015. Only 4 months. As you can see our interview didn't went too well. I met my fiancé through my mom on Facebook. We started fb and Skyping with each other January 2014. I went to visit him in March 2014 and then went back in August 2014 for our engagement ceremony. So far I've visited him 3 times. I plan to go back in Sept 2015 and again in Dec 2015 for Christmas break. It'll be 5 visits in less than 2 years before our next interview. I hope we pass our 2nd interview. If not my fiancé and I will file a CR1. That means I will have to stay in Cambodia for 1 month to do paperwork. I can't afford to quit my job and take a month off from work. That's why I refiling is a better option for me. Yes, I will turn in all the same documents but I'll also be adding some more evidence.

You shouldn't give up too easily. Just go to the interview. You never know. You guys might get lucky and pass. :)

Orangeblossom, do you have an update on your refiling? I'm also in Seattle. I have my second trip to Phnom Penh planned in June, but don't have any photos of our first visit because we met while I was there as a tourist last November. I'm wondering how many more times I need to go visit him before I can even begin. I'm not sure how many more trips I can afford.

Timeline

Orangeblossom, do you have an update on your refiling? I'm also in Seattle. I have my second trip to Phnom Penh planned in June, but don't have any photos of our first visit because we met while I was there as a tourist last November. I'm wondering how many more times I need to go visit him before I can even begin. I'm not sure how many more trips I can afford.

Mysoueng, I refiled the petition in February. USCIS got the paperwork on Feb 12. I'm still waiting for NOA2. The processing center is in CA. They're behind schedule at the moment. Hopefully we no RFE. Are you going the to get engage right away? You can file as soon as you guys meet and engaged. You just have to file within 2 years of meeting each other. I've be there 3 times when my fiancé and I failed our interview. As of now I've been there 4x in less than 18 months from the time I first met my fiancé: With this embassy it's hard to tell how they determine to pass people. Have fun in Cambodia and best of luck on your visa journey!

Timeline

Mysoueng, I refiled the petition in February. USCIS got the paperwork on Feb 12. I'm still waiting for NOA2. The processing center is in CA. They're behind schedule at the moment. Hopefully we no RFE. Are you going the to get engage right away? You can file as soon as you guys meet and engaged. You just have to file within 2 years of meeting each other. I've be there 3 times when my fiancé and I failed our interview. As of now I've been there 4x in less than 18 months from the time I first met my fiancé: With this embassy it's hard to tell how they determine to pass people. Have fun in Cambodia and best of luck on your visa journey!

Good luck, orangeblossom. I will be praying for you and your bong. Yes we plan to have an engagement ceremony when I go in June, but I know you said it's a major red flag if we get engaged on the first meeting. We don't have any photos of us together when we first met in Phnom Penh last November so I'm wondering if we should take photos this time in June and then I should go back a third time to have the ceremony. I'm so nervous because we are a gay couple and I'm not sure if a same sex couple has ever even tried for a K1 visa before in Cambodia. I'm 36, he's 29 and we really love each other. I know there's a big potential for discrimination against us. What questions did they ask your fiance at the interview?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.