dez93_2000

Possibly have left country by interview date

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi. I'm applying for a spousal visa, I'm a Brit living in Ireland to do my PhD and have had to get police certificates for both countries. The UK one just came today so we're going to send the NOA2 off tomorrow BUT: I just checked the latest stats and NOA2>Interview 3 month averages are about 240 days for Dublin and London, which is about 24th November. I'm due to finish my PhD 15th September, after which (a bit before which, even) I have no need to remain in Ireland, and will no longer be getting paid. I was hoping to move to the US but obviously can't do so if I don't have my visa yet, so I'd move back with my parents in London until my interview.

Should we include anything on the NOA2 to indicate that I may have left Ireland after the start of September, or will this risk confusing and potentially derailing our application?

Should I just leave it alone and deal with it when it comes?

Should I just pay to fly to Dublin, do the interview, wait for the documents to arrive at my old address, then fly back?

Can I wait til I get the interview date then speak to the London consulate about doing the interview there?

Will this be a problem or cause me to require more documents or wait longer or go to the back of the queue or anything?

Thanks in advance for any help!

WMTl.png

A timeline for you would help people know at a glance what visa, consulate, where you are in the process right now. Consider filling that out.

Switching consulates involves some time depending on where your file is now. You would ask the receiving consulate to agree to accept your case. Then they (London) would have to request it from Ireland. Then you would wait on London to get around to giving you an interview date. Waiting on all those pieces to fall Into place could take an extra month or two.

But for a spousal visa the NVC assigns the interview before the file even goes overseas.

I don't understand how you send a NOA2 so can't answer that part. The only NOA2 I know about comes from USCIS notifying of petition approval and has no part in the Dept of State process at NVC or the embassy.

Can you clarify what's going on besides you have police certificates?

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

Sorry, I thought I'd done my timeline ages ago, will do so this evening. Sounds like switching isn't worth it, especially given how flying back to Ireland isn't the *worst* problem in the world, and how I still have access to that mailing address, and can stay with friends.

NOA2: I guess I'm getting confused. Looking at the timeline stats I assumed from "time from NOA2 to interview" that NOA2 date was the pack my US spouse is about to send off, so that would be today. But re-reading around, it looks like I'm way off.

A note I made, assumedly pasted from VJ.com: "A few weeks after you have received your last Notice of Action indicating the approval and forwarding of your I-130 application to the NVC, the NVC will send your relative a packet of forms that you and your relative must fill out before your relative can be given an interview date with a consulate abroad. The packet will likely contain an Of-169 form, and an Of-230 part one and two forms that must be filled out by the intending immigrant. An I-864 form is also included that must be filled out by the petitioner (living in the US). The I-864 is the Affidavit of Support form that requires copies of the petitioners past 3 U.S tax returns (or tax transcripts which are free from the IRS) as well as any bank or financial records available (see the I-864 for exact requirements based on your case)"

This packet is what we're sending, so we've therefore had a NOA... would that have been NOA2? If so, I suppose that cuts the time by about a month...

Thanks as always for your help. I forgot how confusing this all was! A while ago I had it locked down, and a few months later it's all fallen out of my brain!!

WMTl.png

Your wife starts the whole process with a petition sent to USCIS.

NOA1 is a receipt showing they accepted the submission.

NOA2 is a notification that they have worked the case and have approved the petition.

Then the whole file leaves USCIS for the National Visa Center (NVC). It sounds like maybe this is where you are now.

You and your wife submit documents and forms like your actual visa application for one. It can take months for NVC to process your application and review documents. When they have done so, you receive notification of "case complete". The NVC then assigns you an interview date at the embassy.

The file gets sent to the embassy awaiting your interview. All you have to do is have the medical exam at the designated clinic for that embassy, go to your interview, then await the visa and passport delivery to you.

I know very little of the details of processing times at the NVC. This guide in the IR1/CR1 visa forum will help you navigate the NVC procedures http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/486029-nvc-guides-faqs/

If you will mooch around in this thread where people discuss their progress, you might get a better idea of timelines. http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/134-ir-1-cr-1-spouse-visa-case-filing-and-progress-reports/. I think it could easily take 4 months at NVC to get case complete, then the wait until interview date. This is a spreadsheet created for that forum that shows dates of case complete to receiving their interview letter to the actual interview date. And it calculates the number of days people experienced between finishing the long process at NVC to actually interviewing. Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AtbvTEwLyHz1dEhlZjdKczRMRmJrSnc5MTk1SkVrYVE&usp=sharing

I think your opportunity to switch consulates can happen at NVC by filling out your paperwork to indicate London as your choice of consulate. Then they will assign you to a London interview. That would be different than if your file had already gone to Ireland and you wanted to transfer at that point. I don't know enough details about that NVC process to help you so check with the IR1/CR1 crowd in that forum about making a decision to switch now and how that could happen. And look at people's timelines like this person who has a footer showing how long each part of the NVC process has taken http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/538665-april-2015-interviews/?p=7545947 See if you can figure out a current pattern to help you decide.

I do know London embassy well and know if you can't make the assigned interview date, there is an online form to ask for another date. If you got a September date, you could ask for an October one and that might fit your schedule just right.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

Thanks again for your help. I've looked over the files and it looks like we received the I-797, USCIS approval of petition for I130, on Jan 6th, whereby we're then passed to the NVC. NVC welcome letter (PAOSF) dated 19th Feb. So I assume the NOA2 = the I-797 and therefore my interview date is projected to be 7th September which is fine and dandy.

Cheers!

WMTl.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.