Jump to content

Bank account, prepaid/debit card

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi guys, not sure if I'm posting in the right please so if so please move this topic. I recently have sent my aos papers in, my k1 'expired', I only have my passport as my ID, I have a social security card. With this information given, can you guys tell me if I can open up a bank account? I know States and banks all differ but generally, am I allowed to? If not, may I get a prepaid debit card? Like one of those from Walmart or something like the one on www.card.com

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I work at a bank in Minnesota.

Generally, with an SSN and your passport, you should be fine. If you have your AOS NOA1, bring that too for security. They will have to note you're not a US Citizen, and are also not a flight risk (charging off a thousand dollars to an account and then leaving the country). It is sometimes easiest to open the account with your spouse, if possible.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.