superstang01

Coming from Canada to visit friend in Ocean City Maryland

53 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I am not sure if this is the correct section, so i'm sorry in advance if its not!

I am going to be visiting a friend who I met in late September of 2014. She was a waitress at a restaurant that I went to and we have been in contact every single day since. I have no criminal record and a passport. I play to go visit from April 10-12 and will be driving.

Do you think this I will have any problems getting into the USA??

Thanks

Jeff

Filed: Timeline

I am not sure if this is the correct section, so i'm sorry in advance if its not!

I am going to be visiting a friend who I met in late September of 2014. She was a waitress at a restaurant that I went to and we have been in contact every single day since. I have no criminal record and a passport. I play to go visit from April 10-12 and will be driving.

Thanks

Jeff

You shouldn't have a problem at all, assuming you have sufficient ties to Canada. Probably thousands of Canadians a day come south to visit friends. Are you concerned about something specific? If you are respectful, relatively clean-cut, drive a clean/legal car and have a job you have little to worry about.

Timeline

You shouldn't have a problem at all, assuming you have sufficient ties to Canada. Probably thousands of Canadians a day come south to visit friends. Are you concerned about something specific? If you are respectful, relatively clean-cut, drive a clean/legal car and have a job you have little to worry about.

I am no concerned about anything specific. Just asking in general! I drive 2015 Volkswagen GTI and work for my parents property management company so I am always clean shaved! I also have several different forms of Canadian identity!

Thanks for the reply

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Ok but.. what are your ties to Canada? Do you own any property? Do you have receipts for the job that you perform? Are you enrolled in any school? Are you paying off any debts? Do you have a rental agreement?

You don't need to disclose any of that information here.. just ask those questions to yourself. The more proof that you have of your ties to Canada, the better.

AAAAAaaaand if I were you, I would skip the "lady friend" in the "I come for visiting" statement. Do not volunteer information, only explain if asked.

GTI 2015.. that's a nice ride.. Although ClioRS does it for me! vroom vroom!!!

tumblr_nlqoff1f3S1rsucqvo1_1280.jpg

:yes:Intelligence trumps muscle... Imagination trumps both! :yes:

IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Service Center : Nebraska Service Center
Consulate : Cd. Juarez, Mexico
Met: January, 2006 :D
Marriage (if applicable): 2012-10-26 (L)
I-130 Sent : 2014-08-01
I-130 NOA1 : 2014-08-04

I-130 NOA2 : 2015-05-14

Shipped to DoS: 2015-05-22

Received at NVC: 2015-06-01

Case Created at NVC: 2015-06-10 (from Julian Date calculation)

AOS and IV Fee Invoiced: 2015-06-11
AOS and IV Fee Paid: Website down as of 06-15... Just waiting...
AOS and IV Fee Paid: 2015-07-05 CEAC site finally UP! :dancing:

AOS and Civil Docs received at NVC: 2015-10-13

NVC checklist for obsolete i864: 2015-11-25

Submit updated i864: ?????? when my lawyer desires... :clock:
Submit updated i864: Did NOT wait for lawywer. Did it myself 2015-12-10
NVC received reply to checklist i864: 2015-12-10 (yes.. same day O.O)

NVC case completed: 2016-01-07
NVC assigned interview date: 2016-01-23
Interview at CJS consulate: 2016-03-30

Visa "Issued": 2016-04-05
Entered the US: 2016-04-27

SSN Arrived: 2016-05-07 ... wow TEN days!

N-400

Filed Online: 2020-06-30

NOA: 2020-07-01

Biometrics Letter: 2021-04-08
Biometrics Appointment: 2021-05-03
Interview Scheduled/Cancelled: 2021-06-25 (never received online nor mail notification, just an email reply to tier 2 inquiry about status)

Interview ReScheduled: 2021-11-02

Interview Date: 2021-11-30

Oath ceremony Scheduled/Cancelled/Placed in Line: 2021-12-01
Oath: 2022-1-24 ... JOURNEY OVER! 😺

event.png

event.png

Timeline

Ok but.. what are your ties to Canada? Do you own any property? Do you have receipts for the job that you perform? Are you enrolled in any school? Are you paying off any debts? Do you have a rental agreement?

You don't need to disclose any of that information here.. just ask those questions to yourself. The more proof that you have of your ties to Canada, the better.

AAAAAaaaand if I were you, I would skip the "lady friend" in the "I come for visiting" statement. Do not volunteer information, only explain if asked.

GTI 2015.. that's a nice ride.. Although ClioRS does it for me! vroom vroom!!!

tumblr_nlqoff1f3S1rsucqvo1_1280.jpg

Will I need to show all of that stuff even if I have a birth certificate and a passport??

Timeline

Well, you usually need to show proof of ties to Canada, yes.

Do you have a travel history? I mean.. do you travel abroad and return etc.? that usually helps.

You dont need to show EVERYTHING.. just enough to satisfy them that you have something to return home to.

Best,

UnaMexicana

Will I need to show all of that stuff even if I have a birth certificate and a passport??

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

N-400

Interview Scheduled/Cancelled: 2021-06-25 (never received online nor mail notification, just an email reply to tier 2 inquiry about status)

event.png

event.png

Timeline

Do you have a travel history? I mean.. do you travel abroad and return etc.? that usually helps.

You dont need to show EVERYTHING.. just enough to satisfy them that you have something to return home to.

Best,

UnaMexicana

I have a bit of a travel history. Always return home on the day I say I will too. I was more concerned about them being suspicious about me being alone. Would anything I've said in the past posts give them reason to deny me entry??

Sent from my iPhone

Timeline

I have a bit of a travel history. Always return home on the day I say I will too. I was more concerned about them being suspicious about me being alone. Would anything I've said in the past posts give them reason to deny me entry??

Sent from my iPhone

Would showing them that I have a mortgage be a valid tie to Canada??

Best,

UnaMexicana

Will showing them that I have a mortgage be a valid tie to Canada??

Timeline

You should be fine.. you are worrying too much!

Enjoy your stay and have fun!

UnaMexicana

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

N-400

event.png

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Honestly, they barely ask any questions at the Canadian borders or at Pearson. I've been harassed at customs about taking tea with me (I declared it because I wasn't sure what category tea falls under) and I've been harassed at the border by a bored guard who decided my passport was a fake because I look younger than my age (as if I can help that), both at land crossings. At Pearson, even when I go to visit my wife, I've literally never even had them ask me more than 'Are you taking Christmas presents? Are they worth more than 200 dollars?' at Christmas time. I have in fact never even been asked a question that would cause me to mention my wife.

The general dialogue I get is this:

Border official: Are you visiting the US for business or recreation?
Me: Recreation.

Border official: What is your job?

Me: I work at XXXXXX and my job description is complicated but I do XXX, XXX, XXX and XXX in my position.

Border official: Have a nice trip.

It's super relaxed.

Met in 2010 on a forum for a mutual interest. Became friends.
2011: Realized we needed to evaluate our status as friends when we realized we were talking about raising children together.

2011/2012: Decided we were a couple sometime in, but no possibility of being together due to being same sex couple.

June 26, 2013: DOMA overturned. American married couples ALL have the same federal rights at last! We can be a family!

June-September, 2013: Discussion about being together begins.

November 13, 2013: Meet in person to see if this could work. It's perfect. We plan to elope to Boston, MA.

March 13, 2014 Married!

May 9, 2014: Petition mailed to USCIS

May 12, 2014: NOA1.
October 27, 2014: NOA2. (5 months, 2 weeks, 1 day after NOA1)
October 31, 2014: USCIS ships file to NVC (five days after NOA2) Happy Halloween for us!

November 18, 2014: NVC receives our case (22 days after NOA2)

December 17, 2014: NVC generates case number (50 days after NOA2)

December 19, 2014: Receive AOS bill, DS-261. Submit DS-261 (52 days after NOA2)

December 20, 2014: Pay AOS Fee

January 7, 2015: Receive, pay IV Fee

January 10, 2015: Complete DS-260

January 11, 2015: Send AOS package and Civil Documents
March 23, 2015: Case Complete at NVC. (70 days from when they received docs to CC)

May 6, 2015: Interview at Montréal APPROVED!

May 11, 2015: Visa in hand! One year less one day from NOA1.

Timeline

Honestly, they barely ask any questions at the Canadian borders or at Pearson. I've been harassed at customs about taking tea with me (I declared it because I wasn't sure what category tea falls under) and I've been harassed at the border by a bored guard who decided my passport was a fake because I look younger than my age (as if I can help that), both at land crossings. At Pearson, even when I go to visit my wife, I've literally never even had them ask me more than 'Are you taking Christmas presents? Are they worth more than 200 dollars?' at Christmas time. I have in fact never even been asked a question that would cause me to mention my wife.

The general dialogue I get is this:

Border official: Are you visiting the US for business or recreation?

Me: Recreation.

Border official: What is your job?

Me: I work at XXXXXX and my job description is complicated but I do XXX, XXX, XXX and XXX in my position.

Border official: Have a nice trip.

It's super relaxed.

Well I cross a lot in the summer months to head to upstate New York to have dinner in Alex bay. I've never had any trouble. I'm just wondering if it would be a hassle for visiting someone who I have only met once?!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Well I cross a lot in the summer months to head to upstate New York to have dinner in Alex bay. I've never had any trouble. I'm just wondering if it would be a hassle for visiting someone who I have only met once?!

Not likely. "Visiting friends/a friend in XXX" is your answer. If they ask how you met them, tell them honestly 'I met her while she was doing XXX in XXX." Never volunteer extra information.

I mean heck, the first time I went to visit my now-wife, I was going to visit someone I had NEVER met before. I was not hassled in the slightest. You'll be fine. You're overthinking, by a lot. You're okay, this will be okay. I've gone back and forth to the US in the past year and a half four times and the first time was to see my wife face to face for the first time, the second time was to get married (yes, I got married in the US, but I was returning to Canada, so it was fine), the third time was to meet my wife's family and the fourth time was to spend Christmas with my wife. My ties to the US are pretty strong. Everything was fine. I've never been bothered. Take your most recent pay stub, but offer it only if you are asked. Volunteer nothing you are not asked.

Met in 2010 on a forum for a mutual interest. Became friends.
2011: Realized we needed to evaluate our status as friends when we realized we were talking about raising children together.

2011/2012: Decided we were a couple sometime in, but no possibility of being together due to being same sex couple.

June 26, 2013: DOMA overturned. American married couples ALL have the same federal rights at last! We can be a family!

June-September, 2013: Discussion about being together begins.

November 13, 2013: Meet in person to see if this could work. It's perfect. We plan to elope to Boston, MA.

March 13, 2014 Married!

May 9, 2014: Petition mailed to USCIS

May 12, 2014: NOA1.
October 27, 2014: NOA2. (5 months, 2 weeks, 1 day after NOA1)
October 31, 2014: USCIS ships file to NVC (five days after NOA2) Happy Halloween for us!

November 18, 2014: NVC receives our case (22 days after NOA2)

December 17, 2014: NVC generates case number (50 days after NOA2)

December 19, 2014: Receive AOS bill, DS-261. Submit DS-261 (52 days after NOA2)

December 20, 2014: Pay AOS Fee

January 7, 2015: Receive, pay IV Fee

January 10, 2015: Complete DS-260

January 11, 2015: Send AOS package and Civil Documents
March 23, 2015: Case Complete at NVC. (70 days from when they received docs to CC)

May 6, 2015: Interview at Montréal APPROVED!

May 11, 2015: Visa in hand! One year less one day from NOA1.

A single male traveling alone might be questioned a bit more than if you had a wife or gf with you, but it's no biggie really as long as you're being truthful. When my wife and I were dating and I was driving to Canada alone to visit her, I got pulled into secondary for further questioning twice. It may have been because I admitted to being arrested for pot when I was younger (in 1986), but it was still no big deal. A few more questions and a quick search of my vehicle with the dog and I was on my way. I always traveled with two pay stubs and a most recent mortgage statement to show ties if they ever wanted to see them. They did ask where I worked, for how long and if I owned property, but I never needed the papers as proof. I also had my itinerary with me every time. I was asked for proof of what hotel I was staying at and am glad I had it with me. I was also asked who I was going to see and I always said my girlfriend. I was never given a hard time about that.

Granted I am an American who was traveling into Canada and not in the exact same shoes you are in, but the border crossings for the US and Canada work pretty much the same going both ways. Relax and be truthful and you'll be fine.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks

Jeff

Here are the questions you will probably be asked at the border.

What is your citizenship?

Where do you live?

Where are you going?

How long are you going to stay?

Have you ever been arrested?

Do you have any items to declare?

Can you please open your trunk?

They might ask you, what do you do for a living?

Even if you don't have a criminal record, being arrested can delay the process. If they are satisfied with your answers, you will have no problem at all. It really depends on your answers. All these comments about having ties to Canada are true but I have crossed the border over 200 time and not once was I asked anything of that sort. Then again, I was visiting family, going to see a person you have met once might prompt them to ask more questions. I suggest you answer the cbp agents questions with short and direct answers with no hesitation, I suggest you have the exact address of where you are going and I also suggest you have money(cash) on you. To be on the safe side bring a utility bill, only present it if you are asked for ties to Canada, but I doubt they will ask for it.

It normally took me about 45 seconds to cross the border, I don't see why it would take you longer

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.