breyandtthew

Question about "Have you ever been admitted in a mental Institution"

4 posts in this topic

Hello VJ'ers,

I have one more question in filling out my n400.

Just recently in Feb. of this year (2015).. My husband and I had an escalated argument that ended up with me having been admitted in a Behavioral Facility (more like mental institution, or for those who have addiction e.g. drug use, substance etc.). It started with a marital fight, he left the house and texted and asked me to leave the house. I replied "Kill me or Ill kill myself". I basically texted him as if I was suicidal. He called the cops, they came over, and had me sent to a hospital for evaluation and later on that night, was admitted in the behavioral facility. I am clean. Never used drugs, I dont drink nor smoke. Im not crazy. Im not suicidal either. It was just a stupid text, a big mistake I didnt think my husband would take seriously. I was there for almost 72 hours, just what they initiallly told me I was gonna be there for. I could have been released earlier, because there really was no reason I should have been there to begin with. But anyway, the initial reason they had on the file was that i was suicidal, but ended up with a primary diagnosis of "depression"..which I believe, is normal because we're human. Anyway, my question is. Should I tick off "yes" to that part of the form??.. Because seriously, I am by all means legally competent and that was just a big misunderstanding that both my husband and I didnt expect would get that far. And anybody who might have experience, checking yes to the question??? What was the outcome.?? Is this gonna be a problem?? Im hoping this wont be an issue in my citizenship. Hope to hear your input. Thanks VJ

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

The answer is you need to tick 'yes', and you'll have the opportunity to explain, clarify and discuss this episode during your interview. It doesn't mean it'll be a problem.

Edited by JohnR!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

You were admitted to a mental facility for suicidal thoughts, so the answer would be 'Yes'

Edited by Jose&Eli

21 Aug 2013: I-129F Sent

11 Feb 2014: Visa APPROVED!

20 May 2014: Wedding!

--

31 Jul 2014: Mailed AOS Packet

12 Feb 2015: AOS Interview - Approved

--

22 Feb 2017: Mailed ROC Packet

08 Aug 2018: ROC Approved

Hello VJ'ers,

I have one more question in filling out my n400.

Just recently in Feb. of this year (2015).. My husband and I had an escalated argument that ended up with me having been admitted in a Behavioral Facility (more like mental institution, or for those who have addiction e.g. drug use, substance etc.). It started with a marital fight, he left the house and texted and asked me to leave the house. I replied "Kill me or Ill kill myself". I basically texted him as if I was suicidal. He called the cops, they came over, and had me sent to a hospital for evaluation and later on that night, was admitted in the behavioral facility. I am clean. Never used drugs, I dont drink nor smoke. Im not crazy. Im not suicidal either. It was just a stupid text, a big mistake I didnt think my husband would take seriously. I was there for almost 72 hours, just what they initiallly told me I was gonna be there for. I could have been released earlier, because there really was no reason I should have been there to begin with. But anyway, the initial reason they had on the file was that i was suicidal, but ended up with a primary diagnosis of "depression"..which I believe, is normal because we're human. Anyway, my question is. Should I tick off "yes" to that part of the form??.. Because seriously, I am by all means legally competent and that was just a big misunderstanding that both my husband and I didnt expect would get that far. And anybody who might have experience, checking yes to the question??? What was the outcome.?? Is this gonna be a problem?? Im hoping this wont be an issue in my citizenship. Hope to hear your input. Thanks VJ

No experience, but I'd tick the yes and add a brief explanation plus had the diagnostic and paperwork available.

Since the police was called in, I'd think they had to file a report inclusive to admittance at the health center. I'd also think that it would come up in a background check. Better disclose than having someone finding out and make a big deal out of it.

Not to make light of your case, but some offices/jobs I've worked at are mental institutions.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.