Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

IR-2 Still confused re docs for NVC and AOS

7 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

I've read the http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process#Step_6_-_Gather_AOS_Packagewhich is VERY useful information -- and all in one place! However, there is still a 'grey' area regarding the requirements for the NVC packet.

I am submitting an application for my wife and kids. I'm here in the US and they're there in Thailand.

Regarding the AOS, I understand my wife gets an i864 while my 2 sons get an i864W each as they fall under the clause for Child Citizen Act 2000. So for my wife's application I include all the financial docs, cover sheet and cover letter. For my kids' applications I just include the AOS cover sheet, a cover letter and the i864W.

Now the tricky part is the NVC docs.

For my wife I will be submitting:

• Cover page w barcode

• Cover Letter

• Police Certificate

• Birth Certificate + Certified Translation

• Name Change + Certified Translation

• Marriage Certificate + Certified Translation

• 2x Photos

• Photocopy of Passport ID page

• First son's Birth Certificate + Certified Translation

• First son's 2x Photos

• First son's copy of Passport page

• Second son's Birth Certificate + Certified Translation

• Second son's 2x Photos

• Second son's copy of Passport page

Whew! That's a lot of stuff. But wait -- there's more -- What do I submit FOR MY SONS? I can't, for the life of me, find ANYWHERE online what documents are specifically needed for children immigrating with the immigrating parent. Does this one application cover my children as well? Do I need additional CERTIFIED translations of my sons' birth certificates and do I submit additional 2x copies of photos with each application?

I greatly appreciate the help I can get on this. Thanks!
Edited by theanimaster

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


Are you a USC? if so, you're children didn't qualify for CRBA, meaning automatic citizenship by you being a USC before they were born?

If they didn't qualify, then it's a separate petition for each one of them, they aren't derivatives on your wife's petition

If you didn't file an i130 for each one of them, then they weren't petitioned

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a USC, they didn't qualify for CRBA because I wasn't a domiciled USC at the time of their birth.

I filed an i130 for each of them. For AOS I paid one fee for all.

So I'll need those additional photographs and official translations after all?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'm worried about this statement on the NVC website:

All documents not written in English, or in the official language of the country in which application for a visa is being made, must be accompanied by certified translations and submitted to the NVC. The translation must include a statement signed by the translator stating that the:

  • Translation is accurate, and
  • Translator is competent to translate.

Wait, when it says "or in the official language in which application for a visa is being made" -- does that mean that as long as it's Thai and because the application is being made in Thailand it's acceptable without translations? I'm submitting all the docs from here in the USA -- does that make a difference?

I had my wife get certified translations for her IV pack -- because I was under the impression I could just make a photocopy of the certified translations for my sons' IV packs.

However, as you said, according to the NVC website:

You and each family member immigrating with you to the United States should collect civil documents to support your visa application.

Since my sons have had their own i-130's approved and have been assigned their own barcode -- does this mean I don't need to submit my sons' civil documents with my wife's application? In that case I wouldn't need to obtain additional documents...

Edited by theanimaster

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...