Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

FBAR with no income but savings abroad

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello all

my wife and I did not earn any income during the tax year,we are unemployed and being supported by my mother, however she has savings abroad in her home country which amounts to $10 +. Will she have to disclose that in FBAR even if she didn't earn any income?

Thanks all for a repky

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


United States persons are required to file an FBAR if:

1) the United States person had a financial interest in or signature authority over at least one financial account located outside of the United States; and

2) the aggregate value of all foreign financial accounts exceeded $10,000 at any time during the calendar year reported.


She does not need to file FBAR if all her financial accounts value is less than $10,000 US dollar.

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, she should file the FBAR. It is part of the US Government's anti-terrorism legislation. They won't tax it or anything like that - they just want to know about it to ensure it isn't a source of funding for inappropriate (eg. terrorism) activities. Whenever one or a combination of accounts totals more than $10,000 in a foreign bank, then you need to file the FBAR. It is not difficult to do, but you don't want to miss it either. I believe the filing date is the end of June of the following year - it is different than the IRS tax date.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables


Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.