Tithen

Quick passport renewal question...

3 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

ok technically I'm not renewing, I'm getting a new passport in my married name so I can stop travelling with expensive papers. lol.

I'm renewing IN person IN Canada and picking it up IN person IN Canada.

Passport Canada's site makes it sound like I still have to pay the Canadian in the US fees...

Anyone know for sure? We're still a few months out from doing it, I just want to be prepared before I go, and you folks are usually more knowledgeable than anyone who answers a phone anywhere! Not to mention we also have to pay the fees for my step son's passport, and his health insurance, so it's going to be a whole bunch of bills at once so we really want to be prepared!

Ashley and Woody (Samuel)

Arrival: 04/18/2011

Married: 09/22/2011 in New Orleans

File date: 12/28/2011

Received: 12/30/2011

Biometrics: 02/27/2012

EAD received: 03/03/2012

SSN application: 03/23/2012

SSN received: 03/30/2012

Interview: 04/24/2012

GC approval: 04/26/2012

Welcome letter: 04/30/2012

GC arrival: 05/04/2012

ROC submitted: 04/07/2014

denied "not properly signed": 04/18/2014 :ranting:

new packet mailed: 04/19/2014

Receipt notice: 04/26/2014

Biometrics Appointment: 05/19/2014 - reschedule request sent

Biometrics Appiontment: 05/29/2014 - they're on their game

Green Card approved: 07/14/2014

Green Card arrived: 07/19/2014

Naturalization process to begin in 2015

I don't see why you should have to pay the overseas fees. That's nuts if you are there! I get dinged and extra hundred dollars, but I am not in the country. The link below is for if you are applying while in Canada, and I don't see where it says you have to pay a higher rate.

http://passport.gc.ca/info/section6.aspx?lang=eng

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

If you are going in person, you will pay a pick-up fee, if it is available at that time, in that service location, but you will pay the Canadian in Canada price (they have been really busy recently and some offices have refused to provide pick-up services without proof of imminent travel - but then you might get charged for express or urgent service). If you stay a few weeks, you can have it mailed to a Canadian address.

A couple of things to note:

- Starting in May, pictures must have been taken in the last 6 months (I think it is 12 now) - anyway, Canadian pictures photographers are easier to find in Canada than in the USA

- Getting a new passport in a new name is NOT a renewal, it's a new "long" application. You will have to provide your proof of citizenship, guarantor, references, yadayadayada - the form will most probably change in May, so don't fill it just now. 1-800-567-6868 to confirm it all before leaving for Canada.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.