Jump to content

my mom is 75, no birth certificate and no hukou in China

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Ok... so

I am trying to get my mom a green card and

- she has no birth certificate.. she's born in China .. at home.

- she no longer has the hukou in China because we immigrated to Hong Kong 35 yrs ago

- Her parents (my grandparents) have passed away so we can't have them sign any affidavits.

- Since I am the petitioner, I can only have my sister make one affidavit... I still need one more??? But we don't have any relatives that we can ask... let alone anyone older than my mom....

Hope someone can suggest something.... I am going to have explanation and all her old passports and ID where shows her birthday.. I am not sure that's enough..

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you still have other family members in China with your mom in THEIR Hukou? If so, you will be able to generate a new Hokou from a local Gong Zhen Chu. Immigrating to Hong Kong shouldn't really be a reason to not have it.. it's not like the HK government takes away your mainland Hokou, no? As long as someone else has her in theirs, you can get a new one for her.

But, worst case, you may able to get something from the Hong Kong government in lieu of everything else based on a sworn statement.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

jamesv - according to my mom, the china government took away her hukou when we immigrated... because she's no longer a Mainland China citizen....

hmmm. so does it mean she has to go back to Hong Kong to get a sworn statement? She's in US right now, I thought we could do the concurrent filling here to save some time.

aleful - they require my mom's birth certificate for I-485. I have mine for I-130.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.