MandL

Married Name

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi Everyone!

My husband and I are now Married, After our wedding I told them that I wanna use my Husband's Name but they keep on telling me that I need to wait for our Marriage Certificate and just to show it when i apply for SSN i'm quite confused with that. I don't know how it works, Will my married name show up on my marriage Certificate or My maiden name? then whenever i apply for SSN i just show them my marriage certificate with my

Maiden name and tell them I'm married and wants to use my husband's name? Can someone explain to me how it works?

Thank's :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Yeah basically that's how I did it and my marriage certificate wasn't even from the U.S. so mine had my maiden name they'll ask you what your new last name will be when you apply for the new one spell it to them then they'll submit it and you'll get the new one in however long it takes in the mail . Pretty simple .

No idea how Wisconsin marriage certificate looks. California one shows my married name at the bottom of the page. When you apply for SSN, use your maiden name and just change it when you get your GC. If you try to apply for your SSN under your married name, they will tell you to wait until you adjust your status before you can apply for a SSN because they would need proof of legal residency.

Timeline

No idea how Wisconsin marriage certificate looks. California one shows my married name at the bottom of the page. When you apply for SSN, use your maiden name and just change it when you get your GC. If you try to apply for your SSN under your married name, they will tell you to wait until you adjust your status before you can apply for a SSN because they would need proof of legal residency.

Hi! Thank's for reply,

So i Still need to wait for my GC? I thought it would be best to apply for SSn once your married so you can use your married name I should have gotten my SSN when i first came here in the US.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi Everyone!

My husband and I are now Married, After our wedding I told them that I wanna use my Husband's Name but they keep on telling me that I need to wait for our Marriage Certificate and just to show it when i apply for SSN i'm quite confused with that. I don't know how it works, Will my married name show up on my marriage Certificate or My maiden name? then whenever i apply for SSN i just show them my marriage certificate with my

Maiden name and tell them I'm married and wants to use my husband's name? Can someone explain to me how it works?

I am not sure of the laws in Wisc, but here in AZ the marriage certificate shows both our names as being single, but the document gives you the authority to change your last name, all you have to do is present that document to SSA and request your SS card in your married name. My asawa did that without issue.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Well that is so much BS from the person you talked at SSA, and for sure no the facts. I would suggest reading the SS-5 for what is required for changing a card to married name and if SSA personal give any issue, request a supervisor.

Only requirement for changing name on the SS card to married name is a marriage certificate (certified copy)

My wife applied for and was approved for her SS card in her married name two days after we were married. We hadn't even started AOS yet.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

I am not sure of the laws in Wisc, but here in AZ the marriage certificate shows both our names as being single, but the document gives you the authority to change your last name, all you have to do is present that document to SSA and request your SS card in your married name. My asawa did that without issue.

Hi Hank Thank's for reply,

That's what we wanna do, just go to SSA once and apply for SSN with my Married Name instead of maiden name, others said they were given SSN under Maiden name then updated to married name as they need to file for AOS first. I just hope i get my SSN under my married Name. Also i have question regarding When to file AOS i posted it here hope you could give me answer to that.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.