Me&Her

Possible to delay a visa interview?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

A family has an immigration visa interview scheduled for March 31, 2015 at GUZ. This is an F4 immigration visa.

The beneficiary would like to delay the visa interview (for reasons), for as long as possible, preferably, two years, to have the interview in or after, March of 2017. So the family reached out to GUZ by email (http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/immigrant-visa-unit-question.html), here is the message:

"The beneficiary and her family member had been notified of a visa interview scheduled on March 31, 2015. Due to ********************, the beneficiary and her family would like to reschedule the interview.

(1) Can the interview be reschedule for two years later, in or after March 2017?

(2) If not, when would be the last day the interview must occur?

(3) The accompanied child would be over 21 should the interview is rescheduled (born 1995), will he still be eligible for a visa when the re-scheduled interview occurs?

They should hear back from GUZ in a week. Meanwhile, does anyone have answers to these questions? THANKS!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I would move heaven and earth to get the interview done asap, noting they have 6 months after visa issued date to transit into the USA.

If there are other reasons to stay in China, they can manage that simply by transiting in and out of the USA (not from Canada or Mexico) during their 2 year 'span', taking note of the duration of 'out of USA'. Sure, its a risk, but I think the larger risk of losing that CSPA 'child' will be a bigger trouble, all things compared and considered.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

The reason this family cannot do a interview now is beyond most people's guess, so I am just going to say that they can not go to the interview.

I did, however, get a reply from GUZ: as follow:

Please be advised we can postpone your beneficiaries' application at your request. Please contact us each year to keep the case valid if you want to further postpone. And notify us two or three months in advance when your beneficiaries are ready to continue their application.

Sincerely,

Immigrant Visa Unit
U.S. Consulate General Guangzhou

This was a bit surprising, and of course, they did not mention about the CSPA and the child aging out. So, just want to confirm, the interview needs to take place before he's 21, right?

I wrote the following back and wait for their response:

I would like to formally request have have the beneficiary's application postponed until further notice and cancel the scheduled interview on March 31, 2015. I will contact you at least once a year to keep the case valid. Questions: 1. Do you need me to put this request in writing? If so, please provide complete street address. 2. How's this postponement impact the pending immigrants, as in, the accompanied child will be over 21 soon, will this child still be eligible for a visa if this case is postponed, let's say, 5 years and the child is 26? 3. Please confirm, when processed, that this case the postponed. Thanks!

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

For CSPA to apply, the beneficiary and derivative beneficiary must takes steps to acquire a visa within one year of the PD becoming current.

Delay the case by two years, then CSPA will not apply. It will not matter if the CSPA age is under 21 because CSPA does not apply when the beneficiary does not file within one year of the PD becoming current.

Also, if the beneficiary dies during the 2 years, no one will be immigrating.

The smarter move IMHO is to immigrate and the get re-entry permits for whomever needs to go back.

Edited by aaron2020

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.