Hopeworld

Travel when applying for citizenship?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Hi guys,

I been browsing the forums here but can't find the answer to my question.
I studied here at first, met the love of my life got married divorced however couple of years later.
1st March I will have been a permanent resident within US 5 years, so I want to apply for citizenship as soon as possible.

Problem is, I'm visiting my family in europe for 3 weeks (April 28-May 19th).
I'm afraid that during this time I'm going to be called for an interview, and if I reschedule I might have to wait a long time before getting a new appointment etc.

Should I wait until may? That would delay the whole thing though 2.5 months though (rather than applying 1st march, applying 19th may).

Please let me know, thank you!!

PS: I'm located in LA, california.

Filed: Timeline

The whole process takes from anywhere 3 months to 6 months, it can be even longer. No one knows when you will be called for Biometics, interview or oath cermoney. No one here can tell you exectly you should apply or should not cause, Every application is different.

If i were be you, i would wait till i come back from visit. Because they can call you to present additional documentation, or for any other matters. In 3 weeks you can miss any of your appointment. Remmember missing appoiment is worst then rescheduling appoiment. If you miss one appoitment, your application will be considered abondent, which mean LOST OF 680$ and time.

Make your best judgment.

No law requires you to file for naturalization at all.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

No law requires you to file for naturalization at all.

Well obviously. I have no idea why you point that out however.

The whole process takes from anywhere 3 months to 6 months, it can be even longer. No one knows when you will be called for Biometics, interview or oath cermoney. No one here can tell you exectly you should apply or should not cause, Every application is different.

If i were be you, i would wait till i come back from visit. Because they can call you to present additional documentation, or for any other matters. In 3 weeks you can miss any of your appointment. Remmember missing appoiment is worst then rescheduling appoiment. If you miss one appoitment, your application will be considered abondent, which mean LOST OF 680$ and time.

Make your best judgment.

You are totally right.

That's all I needed to hear.

Thank you, SO MUCH For help!!!

I would wait. Missing an appointment and dealing with the hassle would be worse in my opinion than the delay of waiting to file until after you come back.

05/01 - Married USC

06/01 - Filed I-130/I-485

01/03 - Conditional LPR approved

05/05 - Conditions removed

12/13 - Divorced USC

10/10/14 - Filed N-400 based on 5+yrs LPR

10/24/14 - NOA

11/12/14 - Fingerprinted

11/14/14 - In line e-notification

12/01/14 - E-notification of interview scheduled

12/05/14 - Received interview letter - Interview scheduled for January 8th.

01/08/15 - Passed citizenship interview and recommended for approval!

01/19/15 - In line for oath ceremony

02/19/15 - Oath scheduled for March 6th, 2015!

03/06/15 - Became a US citizen! :dancing:

Well obviously. I have no idea why you point that out however.

You are totally right.

That's all I needed to hear.

Thank you, SO MUCH For help!!!

That means you apply whenever you are available, not with a travel schedule ahead of you, which can interfere your biometrics, interview or anything.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.