Honey&Bunny

How does reviewing a case works when there are two cases together?

15 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I am wondering how the 60 days review at NVC work when there are two petitions being processed at the same time. I have two petitions, one for my husband, and one for my step-daughter. I have received separate checklists for birth cases, but at different times. I responded to a checklist on my husband's AOS early January, and one fir my step-daughter, early Febrary. I am close to approaching the 60 days on my husband's petition, and I want to know what happens at NVC when things like this happens. Do they wait the 60 BUSINESS DAYS for my step-daughter's AOS corrected forms to be reviewed, and make my husband wait or do they pull the forms out for early review to make these petitions move forward? I TRY TO ASK THIS TO SOMEBODY AT NVC, AND SHE SAID "YOU HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL WE CONTACT YOU" can someone help me with this? Thank you :-)

Hi guys, I am wondering how the 60 days review at NVC work when there are two petitions being processed at the same time. I have two petitions, one for my husband, and one for my step-daughter. I have received separate checklists for birth cases, but at different times. I responded to a checklist on my husband's AOS early January, and one fir my step-daughter, early Febrary. I am close to approaching the 60 days on my husband's petition, and I want to know what happens at NVC when things like this happens. Do they wait the 60 BUSINESS DAYS for my step-daughter's AOS corrected forms to be reviewed, and make my husband wait or do they pull the forms out for early review to make these petitions move forward? I TRY TO ASK THIS TO SOMEBODY AT NVC, AND SHE SAID "YOU HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL WE CONTACT YOU" can someone help me with this? Thank you :-)

*** I meant BOTH CASES NOT BIRTH CASES. AUTO CORRECT SUCKS!

Each case is independently reviewed. Each will have their own CC date. But as long as they are joined, they should get the same interview date.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Each case is independently reviewed. Each will have their own CC date. But as long as they are joined, they should get the same interview date.

Thank you for your answer.. Do you mean is that even if they have my husband's petition ready, we have to wait an extra 2 months to get the cases completed by NVC? I am really about to lose my mind..

Thank you for your answer.. Do you mean is that even if they have my husband's petition ready, we have to wait an extra 2 months to get the cases completed by NVC? I am really about to lose my mind..

No you'd have to wait longer after a case complete to get an interview date. Both cases will need a case complete before an interview date would be assigned.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Please don't tell me that. All of these checklists are really making sick, both emotionally, and physically :-(

Do you want them to interview separately?

No, I don't. It wouldn't make any sense for them to have their interview separately. The 60 days is more like 82 because it is only business days that are counted. I was just hoping that since both cases are together, and that she is only 6, they would try to make things move along. It doesn't make any sense to have one petition ready, and make it wait an additional 2 or 3 more months because SOMEBODY is incompetent enough to pull out a file FROM A COMPUTER! It us not like back in the days when you have to go into a room, and try to find the ACTUAL FOLDER WITH ALL OF THE PAPERS IN IT.. The way this system works irritates the hell out of me.

Honey&Bunny,

I did the same as you. I applied for my wife and my step-daughter at the same time. I received two separate checklists as well.

Don't worry, they will keep your step-daughters case attached to the primary beneficiary which is your husband. So no matter what happens to either case, they will always be kept together even if they are reviewed at different times.

For me I foolishly made mistakes twice and received two checklists for my wife. When I finally corrected my mistakes then and only then did they move both cases forward together. Not one in front or behind the other.

We had an interview date setup for both cases together when all was said and done. During the interview both cases were sitting on the interviewers desk together.

We received the visas for both cases together.

Review my timeline, and also checkout the visa process app:

- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=visa.process.ir1.cr1&hl=en

- https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/visaprocess-ir1-cr1/id960466011?ls=1&mt=8

USCIS
03/07/13 - I-130 Sent
03/15/13 - NOA1
10/31/13 - Transfered to NSC

12/04/13 - Alien registration number changed

12/05/13 - NOA2 Finally!

NVC
12/30/13 - NVC received file
01/29/14 - Case number assigned

02/05/14 - Received AOS Invoice Email and Completed DS-261

02/06/14 - AOS Payment became available. Paid it.

02/13/14 - IV Payment became available. Paid it and sent in AOS and IV packages

02/14/14 - AOS and IV packages arrived at NVC (viewed tracking info)

02/21/14 - Packages were attached to my case

03/13/14 - Received, answered, and sent back checklist (missing I-864 information)

04/02/14 - Received, answered, and sent back 2nd checklist (OUCH - was told conflicting info by NVC reps regarding Total vs Adjusted Gross Income)

04/18/14 - NVC approved application!!

05/02/14 - Interview date set for June 5

EMBASSY

06/05/14 - Interview... Approved!! Paid Domex for delivery of Visas

Honey&Bunny,

I did the same as you. I applied for my wife and my step-daughter at the same time. I received two separate checklists as well.

Don't worry, they will keep your step-daughters case attached to the primary beneficiary which is your husband. So no matter what happens to either case, they will always be kept together even if they are reviewed at different times.

For me I foolishly made mistakes twice and received two checklists for my wife. When I finally corrected my mistakes then and only then did they move both cases forward together. Not one in front or behind the other.

We had an interview date setup for both cases together when all was said and done. During the interview both cases were sitting on the interviewers desk together.

We received the visas for both cases together.

Review my timeline, and also checkout the visa process app:

- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=visa.process.ir1.cr1&hl=en

- https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/visaprocess-ir1-cr1/id960466011?ls=1&mt=8

Thank you for letting me know that. Now, let me ask you something, since you didn't make any mistakes on your step-daughter's forms, after correcting your wife's, did you have to wait 60 days for them to review your wife's? Or did it take less time because your step-daughter's was already set for further processing? This is the part that I am really confused about.. I CAN'T CALL NVC AND ASK BECAUSE THEY ARE THE MOST UNHELPFUL PEOPLE THAT I'VE EVER HAVE TO DEAL WITH. THEY ARE WORST THAN THE WORKERS AT THE DMV, AND EVERYBODY KNOWS WHAT THAT MEANS, LOL..

I had to wait two weeks each time. Exactly two weeks. They may tell you more so you don't call, and there might be delays, but for me it was exactly two weeks each time.

Furthermore, it wasn't less time because my daughter was setup for further processing, rather it was less time because we were already in the NVC system. In other words the petitions were already processed from USCIS and had case numbers assigned by NVC. NVC doesn't do a full USCIS merge each time they review your checklist.

I'm under the impression that makes things quicker.

DMV + Brooklyn = say no more, I understand

USCIS
03/07/13 - I-130 Sent
03/15/13 - NOA1
10/31/13 - Transfered to NSC

12/04/13 - Alien registration number changed

12/05/13 - NOA2 Finally!

NVC
12/30/13 - NVC received file
01/29/14 - Case number assigned

02/05/14 - Received AOS Invoice Email and Completed DS-261

02/06/14 - AOS Payment became available. Paid it.

02/13/14 - IV Payment became available. Paid it and sent in AOS and IV packages

02/14/14 - AOS and IV packages arrived at NVC (viewed tracking info)

02/21/14 - Packages were attached to my case

03/13/14 - Received, answered, and sent back checklist (missing I-864 information)

04/02/14 - Received, answered, and sent back 2nd checklist (OUCH - was told conflicting info by NVC reps regarding Total vs Adjusted Gross Income)

04/18/14 - NVC approved application!!

05/02/14 - Interview date set for June 5

EMBASSY

06/05/14 - Interview... Approved!! Paid Domex for delivery of Visas

I had to wait two weeks each time. Exactly two weeks. They may tell you more so you don't call, and there might be delays, but for me it was exactly two weeks each time.

Furthermore, it wasn't less time because my daughter was setup for further processing, rather it was less time because we were already in the NVC system. In other words the petitions were already processed from USCIS and had case numbers assigned by NVC. NVC doesn't do a full USCIS merge each time they review your checklist.

I'm under the impression that makes things quicker.

DMV + Brooklyn = say no more, I understand

Cool! Thank you so much for all of your help :-)

Filed: IR-5 Timeline

Different situation. My mother-in-law and father-in-law had their own cases because there is no deviation under IR-5 (Parent of USC). NVC misplaced one of the required documents for my father-in-law. It took nearly a month for someone to find it in the file, then another 6 weeks for them to say his case was complete. During the entire time my mother-in-law's case sat complete at NVC. We didn't receive the case complete notices until both were complete. There cases were kept together that they were interviewed at the same time.

Here is the information regarding the cases for my in-laws (wife, their daughter, is the petitioner under the IR-5 category, Parents of a USC):

Submit I-130 (2 petitions) to USCIS on May 30, 2013

USCIS approved the cases on March 10, 2014.

Received notice online from USCIS the cases were sent to NVC on March 17, 2014.

NVC received the cases on March 28, 2014

The case numbers were created on Monday, April 28.

We received the numbers by phone on Friday, May 2.

DS-261 became available on both cases late in the evening on Friday, May 2. Both DS-261 filed on Saturday, May 3.

Received emails to my wife regarding AOS at around 8am on Wednesday, May 7. At the same time received emails that were cc of letters sent to my in-laws. However, the date of all of the letters was Monday, May 5.

Received emails regarding the Immigrant Visa Fee at around 11:15am on Wednesday, May 7. IV fees became available online at around 1pm on Wednesday, May 7. Date of invoice was Tuesday, May 8.

Paid all the fees on Wednesday, May 7 at around 1:15pm.

All fees marked as paid and DS-260 become available sometime late on Friday, May 9.

Dropped off IV and AOS packages (in two different envelopes - 1 for AOS and 1 for IV documents) at the local post office at around 2pm on Saturday, May 10.

Submitted DS-260 (for both cases) around 10am on Sunday, May 11.

Both document packages received by NVC on Monday, May 12 (according to Post Office Tracking - one around 1pm and the other around 4pm. Don't know why they got separated.)

Received checklist email for both cases at 4pm on Thursday, June 12 regarding the IV civil documents

Wife called NVC in the afternoon of Friday, June 13 to inquire about the checklist. Told by a representative they are normal and automatic and not to worry. AOS under review. Call back after Tuesday, June 24.
Received a checklist for my father-in-law on Monday, June 16. NVC reviewed his AOS paperwork, but waiting for the documents the requested the week before.

Wife called NVC in the morning of Tuesday, June 17. Told by the agent they don't have the document requested for dad, and they don't have the AOS package for her mom.

Put in a request with our Senator to get more information. Response was mother-in-law is documentary complete and father-in-law was in document review for the military document.

Wife called NVC on the morning of Tuesday, July 1 and spoke with a supervisor regarding her dad's military document. Supervisor said she would look into it.

Supervisor called us and left a voicemail on the morning of Wednesday, July 9 and stated they have located my father-in-law's military documents. Case sent back to document review.

Per conversation with an agent, the expedited request originally requested by email on July 7, was sent to the Embassy on Thursday, July 10.

Received by postal mail on Thursday, August 21 from our Senator regarding the response of another inquiry. Still the same.

Early in the morning on Friday, August 22:

Wife calls the Embassy and was told the IV section doesn't accept calls, and was given a number in the states that turned out to be scheduling assistance for NIV interviews.

Called NVC as soon as they opened and was told the Embassy denied the expedite request, but the case was completed by NVC on Monday, August 18. Wife inquired about interview scheduling, and was given some good information.

At 5 PM on Thursday, September 11, received the interview letters. Interview is scheduled for the morning of October 9.

Mother-in-law approved. Father-in-law placed in Administrative Processing due to follow-up TB test.

CEAC stated ISSUED for my mother-in-law on October 15. DHL had the package for pick up on October 17 but called the wrong number. Package picked up on October 27.

On December 11 mother-in-law received a phone call from the Embassy that the medical is back for my father-in-law and to DHL his passport to them. Passport sent on December 12.

On December 18 CEAC updated to ISSUED for my father-in-law. My wife is happy!!!! Embassy said they gave it to DHL on December 19

Due to a DHL delay the package did not become available for pick up until December 24. USCIS Immigrant Fee paid the same day.

POE: JFK Terminal 1 - December 26, 2014 - They are finally here!!!

Took them to a local SSA office to get SSN on January 6, 2015. Cards received on January 10, 2015.

Green Cards received by priority mail on January 23, 2015 (four weeks after arrival).

Both went to motor vehicles and got state issued ID cards on April 11, 2015.

Different situation. My mother-in-law and father-in-law had their own cases because there is no deviation under IR-5 (Parent of USC). NVC misplaced one of the required documents for my father-in-law. It took nearly a month for someone to find it in the file, then another 6 weeks for them to say his case was complete. During the entire time my mother-in-law's case sat complete at NVC. We didn't receive the case complete notices until both were complete. There cases were kept together that they were interviewed at the same time.

Wow, this is exactly what I complain about. It took them almost a month to find the documents (THAT THEY MISPLACED IN THE FIRST PLACE)which is fine, BUT SIX WEEKS TO REVIEW PAPERS THAT CAN BE REVIEWED IN AN HOUR!? That is the part that pisses me up the most. WHAT DO THESE PEOPLE DO ALL DAY AT WORK? After the obvious, being mean to people on the phone, and completely unhelpful. I

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.