Michael_88

Affidavit of Support? Help!!!

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My brother will be going for his K-1 Visa interview next month in Montreal and I (his brother) will be stepping in as a joint sponsor along with his fiancé . The issue is his fiancé just lost her job recently . Can he still submit his fiancés affidavit of support information at the interview? eg. her last three tax returns etc. from her previous job? What happens in cases like this? Can he proceed to go through the interview process with the affidavit documents he currently has? Answers would be great thanks!!

He could, but what if the interviewer says "where is your fiancé employed?" or "Does you fiancé still work for XYZ?"

Is he going to tell the truth and say she's not. Then how will they look at him for submitting documentation indicating she is employed?

You might check with the Canada forum to see the custom at Montreal. I know if it was a London interview, they will accept another sponsor if the fiancé doesn't qualify. The fiancé doesn't even have to do an I-134 in that case. Each embassy has their own vibe on what they find acceptable as assurance that the beneficiary will not become a public charge.

Do you live in the US? I know the general notes to adjudicators say a K1 financial sponsor who does not live in the US is not the best choice. It isn't actually prohibited in the law, but is cautioned as someone who is less likely to follow through. And again, it is up to the consulate what they will accept.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

In same situation..planning to find another supporter and bring all their paperwork/evidence just in case!! I also wondered if a letter of intent from applicants proposed employer would do but I'm not counting on it. Might bring that as well just in case. My thought is can never have too much information/evidence! Have a plan b & c!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.