kap6unka

Social Security number

19 posts in this topic

You should have applied BEFORE you got married. Now you will have to wait for EAD to be able to apply for one.

Good luck.

I applied after marriage, before EAD/AP/AOS etc. without issue.

Edited by MissSarah

AOS (from K-1)

Sent - April 23, 2014
NOA - May 13, 2014
Biometrics - June 6, 2014
EAD/AP Approved - July 18, 2014
EAD/AP Received - July 26, 2014
Waiver Letter Received - August 17, 2014 (dated August 13, 2014)
SR Placed Online - February 14, 2015
EAD/AP Renewal Sent - March 20, 2015
EAD/AP Renewal Received - March 25, 2015
I-485 Approved - March 28, 2015 (e-mail notification)
SR Response Rec'd - March 28, 2015 (dated March 24, 2015)
Card Production Notice - March 31, 2015

Card Mailed - April 7, 2015

Card Rec'd - April 9, 2015

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Did you change your last name to his on marriage certificate?

If so, I think you might have to wait for the EAD or GC.

Or...you can bring your passport and I-94 and apply for SS card under your old maiden name,

and then change the last name after you get EAD or GC.

Sorry, in what part of the marriage certificate you changed your last name? I got married in the courthouse in Ft Lauderdale and in my marriage certificate only shows the groom's name and bride's name (maiden last name of course), along with other court details. No name changed there.

Later on, with that (passport and i94) I went to the ssn office and they asked me which name I would use, I chose married name. That's why they need the marriage certificate to proceed with the change in your ssn card. Of course if you apply for the ssn before you marry, then you will have to use your maiden name and change it later to married name on the card in case you want to.

Not all states list the name after marriage on the marriage certificate. FL does not list what name you will be choosing to use. The marriage certificate is just a copy of the license, which shows the groom's name and bride's name at the time of marriage.

The marriage certificate is still the legal name change document used for changing your name after marriage on anything, even in states that do not show what name you will be using after marriage. That is not the issue with the SSA.

The SSA has workers that do not know all the regulations and aspects of their own jobs. That is the problem. That is why it is advised to apply for the SSN in your maiden name, even if you already married. They do not even need to know you already got married. That is not asked on the SSN application. http://www.socialsecurity.gov/forms/ss-5.pdf

Some SSA workers have even told those with a K-1 that if they married, they were now a K-3. They should not give immigration info. They have no clue about immigration. Some are worse than others. Occasionally people run into those workers that do know what they are doing and hook them up with an SSN just like they are supposed to, whether married or not, and whether or not they use their married or maiden name to apply.

Just less hassle to apply in maiden name and then change it later when you get your EAD/AP or green card in married name. You never know if you will get a knowledgeable SSA worker or not.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Timeline

I applied for my SSN today. I showed my EAD & passport. I changed my name so the EAD is the only way to prove that and I had to show the passport to prove I had the other name listed on the SSN application form. You mainly need the SSN # for work related matters so I'd suggest to try to get when you have your EAD with the name you choose to have. According to the SSN lady my card would be mailed to my house in 2 weeks.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Moldova
Timeline

Hey guys! Thank you all for helping me figure this out!

I applied today for my SSN, it all worked out, though they will issue me a SSN under my maiden name, not under my married name, because their data base does not contain any record on me (passport, visa) with my new name. So once I get my GC or EAD, I can come back and change my name :)

Review:

I went to the office in Daly City, CA. Had to wait 1h and a half before my number was announced....did not expect to wait that long :D. The lady was very nice and helpful.She tried to register me under my new name, but system did not let her do so, she tried couple times and than told me that she can try do this under my maiden name, and it worked. So, everything went smooth. :luv:

Tomorrow plan to file for AOS, AP & EAD. Fingers crossed. Wish me luck :goofy:

I-129F Sent : 2014-06-30

I-129F NOA1 : 2014-07-12

I-129F RFE(s) : 2014-09-27

RFE Reply(s) : 2014-10-03

I-129F NOA2 : 2014-10-10

NVC: Case Creation Date: 2014-10-28

NVC: Case sent to the Consulate: 2014-10-29

NVC: Case arrived to the Consulate: 2014-10-31

Received Instructions from the Consulate: 2014-11-05

Dropped off all the documents requested for the interview at the Consulate (we dont have Packet 3&4): 2014-11-17

Interview date: 2014-12-2 :dancing:

Result: APPROVED

Date of entry in US: 2015-01-12

Date of Marriage: 2015-02-19

AOS, EAD & AP sent: 2015-03-11

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.