Jump to content

adjustment of status from tourist visa

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

I am an American citizen, I got married to a Brazilian citizen in Brazil last August, I have permanent residency in Brazil. We are currently visiting my parents in Florida and have decided to stay because of work for me. Is there a process for her being able to get permanent residency here if she only has a tourist visa now. I read something about adjustment of status, would that be an option? Is it very expensive? Any help is appreciated!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

All you need do is follow the instructions on the guide. Here is the link: ---> http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2

Your wife will be able to AOS stateside but she won't be able to return to Brazil for a few months. Bear in mind you may need documents that you may not have on hand so you need to plan it all and consider the logistic involved. She won't be able to return to give her job notice, sell property, pack her things of anything if you go down that route.

Optionally, you can file for her CR/IR visa while you're here and she can return to Brazil to complete the formalities there, at the end of which she will receive an immigrant visa. The entire process takes approximately 9-13 months and she can come visit you while her visa is being processed. Check out this link, for this case: --> http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

Good luck!

Edited by JohnR!



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

**** Moving from CR-1 spousal visa to AOS from Tourist visa forum ****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.