Cardinal6669

Confused about police certificate

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

I am the beneficiary and I live in Queensland. My fiance called the NVC and got our case number earlier today. So I went to the local police station to get my police certificate underway, and the lady said it didn't need to be sent directly to the consulate, and that they would send it to me in 2 weeks. I paid the 50 something dollar fee, and that was that.

Someone on these forums said that QLD requires it to be sent straight to the consulate, is this true?

Also, I did not get fingerprints done, is this required?

I looked at the sydney consulate info and it doesn't say fingerprints are a requirement, it also doesn't say anything about sending the certificate straight to the consulate. In fact, the police certificate link is broken http://canberra.usembassy.gov/consular/policecertificate.html<-- does not work.

Should I be worried?

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I am the beneficiary and I live in Queensland. My fiance called the NVC and got our case number earlier today. So I went to the local police station to get my police certificate underway, and the lady said it didn't need to be sent directly to the consulate, and that they would send it to me in 2 weeks. I paid the 50 something dollar fee, and that was that.

Someone on these forums said that QLD requires it to be sent straight to the consulate, is this true?

I looked at the sydney consulate info and it doesn't say fingerprints are a requirement, it also doesn't say anything about sending the certificate straight to the consulate. In fact, the police certificate link is broken http://canberra.usembassy.gov/consular/policecertificate.html<-- does not work.

Should I be worried?

Thanks

Cardinal, I don't know what to tell you about this. The Canberra site is broken, and has been broken for months. The NVC has old information. What Sydney says is different from what NVC says.

No one has the same information.

I know what happened when we went through the process last year at this time, and I have the instructions that NVC sent to us last year at this time that instructed us to get the fingerprint check and send it directly to the Consulate. I have not heard of any updates in the last year.

You can see if your way works - I hope it does.

My spouse (QLDer) got a fingerprint check, and wrote the address of the Consulate on the form, along with her case number.

Best of luck to you!

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

Timeline

Cardinal, I don't know what to tell you about this. The Canberra site is broken, and has been broken for months. The NVC has old information. What Sydney says is different from what NVC says.

No one has the same information.

I know what happened when we went through the process last year at this time, and I have the instructions that NVC sent to us last year at this time that instructed us to get the fingerprint check and send it directly to the Consulate. I have not heard of any updates in the last year.

You can see if your way works - I hope it does.

My spouse (QLDer) got a fingerprint check, and wrote the address of the Consulate on the form, along with her case number.

Best of luck to you!

Sukie in NY

Arhggg, it's probably the same.

I might have to go in again and re-do it.

Do you know what the address for the consulate is?

Is it the Sydney or Canberra consulate?

Edited by Cardinal6669

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Arhggg, it's probably the same.

I might have to go in again and re-do it.

Do you know what the address for the consulate is?

Is it the Sydney or Canberra consulate?

It's the Sydney one

U.S. Consulate General

Level 10, MLC Centre

19-29 Martin Place

Sydney, NSW 2000

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

Timeline

Okay, so I went back to my local police station, explained that I needed fingerprints done and that I needed to add the address of the sydney consulate so it could be sent their straight away by the AFP, but they then told me that the form I filled out wasn't processed by the AFP and it was a state check or something.

So, where am I supposed to go for this police check?
The AFP, or local police?

Also, where do I get the forms.

I am so confused, I wish I had my packet 3 instructions :ranting:

Timeline

Okay, so I went back to my local police station, explained that I needed fingerprints done and that I needed to add the address of the sydney consulate so it could be sent their straight away by the AFP, but they then told me that the form I filled out wasn't processed by the AFP and it was a state check or something.

So, where am I supposed to go for this police check?

The AFP, or local police?

Also, where do I get the forms.

I am so confused, I wish I had my packet 3 instructions :ranting:

Hi Cardinal, Congratulations on your approval and I hope your journey ahead is smoother and faster! :D

Packet 3 looks a bit like this if you go to this link, its a form called DSL-1076

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/australia/39176/pdf/dsl-1076.pdf

except you don't need some forms like DS-156 and DS-156K - although you may need DS 230 which is the Biographic Data Form, I'm not really sure

If you already have your Case Number from the NVC: You can start filling out the online form DS-160.

And I suggest you also book your Medical too

http://canberra.usembassy.gov/panel_physicians.html

With the Australian Federal Police Check have a read of this forum:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/527738-australian-federal-police-check-issues/

I just got mine recently done because I know it takes about 2-3 weeks to receive it. You need to go to your Local Police Station with the AFP police Check FORM with all your ID attached certified if you can't show originals to your Local Police. Also take a pre-paid envelope with you when you get your fingerprints done because the Local Police Station posts it out the Australian Federal Police.

I'm sorry but I'm not aware about the Queensland Police Check as I live in NSW. An easy can be to email the Sydney Consulate:

http://canberra.usembassy.gov/visas-geninfo/sydney.html

Timeline

Hi Cardinal, Congratulations on your approval and I hope your journey ahead is smoother and faster! :D

Packet 3 looks a bit like this if you go to this link, its a form called DSL-1076

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/australia/39176/pdf/dsl-1076.pdf

except you don't need some forms like DS-156 and DS-156K - although you may need DS 230 which is the Biographic Data Form, I'm not really sure

If you already have your Case Number from the NVC: You can start filling out the online form DS-160.

And I suggest you also book your Medical too

http://canberra.usembassy.gov/panel_physicians.html

With the Australian Federal Police Check have a read of this forum:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/527738-australian-federal-police-check-issues/

I just got mine recently done because I know it takes about 2-3 weeks to receive it. You need to go to your Local Police Station with the AFP police Check FORM with all your ID attached certified if you can't show originals to your Local Police. Also take a pre-paid envelope with you when you get your fingerprints done because the Local Police Station posts it out the Australian Federal Police.

I'm sorry but I'm not aware about the Queensland Police Check as I live in NSW. An easy can be to email the Sydney Consulate:

http://canberra.usembassy.gov/visas-geninfo/sydney.html

Thank you very much, you've been a big help :D

I had my interview today and almost got denied because the CO officer didnt read our police certificate properly and he thought it was just the name check (no fingerprints) and when he started telling us we hd to re-do it i told him that I DID get fingerprints done and he re-read it and realized his mistake.

So defs get the fingerprints done!!!!

It saved our butt today getting the fingerprints done. As for where to get it I just went to my local police station and I DIDN'T have it sent to the consulate as the police told me I shouldnt they said it would better to be sent to me. I actually sent mine with my originals to NVC but i would suggest just keeping it with you and taking it to the consulate for your interview as I was stressing NVC would loss it lol

Timeline

I had my interview today and almost got denied because the CO officer didnt read our police certificate properly and he thought it was just the name check (no fingerprints) and when he started telling us we hd to re-do it i told him that I DID get fingerprints done and he re-read it and realized his mistake.

So defs get the fingerprints done!!!!

It saved our butt today getting the fingerprints done. As for where to get it I just went to my local police station and I DIDN'T have it sent to the consulate as the police told me I shouldnt they said it would better to be sent to me. I actually sent mine with my originals to NVC but i would suggest just keeping it with you and taking it to the consulate for your interview as I was stressing NVC would loss it lol

NVC?

Are we supposed to send it to the NVC?

I haven't got packet 3 yet, does that come from NVC or the embassy?

Why would I be sending anything to the NVC?

I thought everything from this stage on goes to the sydney consulate.

NVC?

Are we supposed to send it to the NVC?

I haven't got packet 3 yet, does that come from NVC or the embassy?

Why would I be sending anything to the NVC?

I thought everything from this stage on goes to the sydney consulate.

Sorry i didn't realize you were doing K1 visa i was doing CR1 visa.

I sent my police certificate with the IV (immigration visa) Package which i believe you don't do with the K1 visa so sorry to confuse you with that I was just trying to say that i didnt send mine to the consulate and it was ok as long as u take it to the interview with you.

Timeline

Sorry i didn't realize you were doing K1 visa i was doing CR1 visa.

I sent my police certificate with the IV (immigration visa) Package which i believe you don't do with the K1 visa so sorry to confuse you with that I was just trying to say that i didnt send mine to the consulate and it was ok as long as u take it to the interview with you.

Ohhh, okay. No problem haha

Timeline

Cardinal,

I recognise your profile photo from the timeline searches I have been doing, I think we both got our NOA2 around the same time from TSC? You mentioned here that you were able to get your case number in this message. My fiance and I thought we would call up to find out if they had recieved our approved petition yet today because we hadnt heard anything and they told us that it takes 35 DAYS for them to recieve it!!!!!! So just wondering how you managed to get it?????

Should I be worried?

Thanks

Timeline

Cardinal,

I recognise your profile photo from the timeline searches I have been doing, I think we both got our NOA2 around the same time from TSC? You mentioned here that you were able to get your case number in this message. My fiance and I thought we would call up to find out if they had recieved our approved petition yet today because we hadnt heard anything and they told us that it takes 35 DAYS for them to recieve it!!!!!! So just wondering how you managed to get it?????

Wait 2 weeks, and then call them. Wait on the line, they give you a few options and then the Spanish options, and then some more options after that. You need to choose from the second lot of options. Then just ask for your case number and they'll give it to you.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline

Wait 2 weeks, and then call them. Wait on the line, they give you a few options and then the Spanish options, and then some more options after that. You need to choose from the second lot of options. Then just ask for your case number and they'll give it to you.

yeah, that was all I did, I waited two weeks, then started calling..

some days you get booted out of the queue due to excessive call volume, just keep trying

you will punch some buttons, bet transferred, and finally speak to a human, and get your case number.

my NOA2 was the march 3, I was notified on the 9th that it was then being sent to NVC,

our case # was created on march 17

it was in sydney last week and we had our interview date assigned on the 27th.

oh, and this link may be useful on the police check

my fiance had to go in 3 times before they got it right.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.