DominiqueL

EAD questions from someone who has had an EAD before

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi!

So I'm just starting to research the whole K-1/AOS process... My main concern is working while waiting for the GC. I was pleased to learn that one can apply for a EAD at the same time as the GC, potentially allowing for me to work until the GC comes through. What I'm wondering is if having applied for an EAD before will help me/speed things up in anyway. I was on F-1 status and filed a I-795 in Winter 2012/2013 so that I could get OPT, which I did and which expired in February 2014. So I have a SSN and all my old paperwork. Will this make the EAD application easier once I am married and simultaneously file that and the I-485? Any chance I won't have to do the biometrics? Or is this all wishful thinking? :)

Basically, having worked in the US before I'm just hoping I won't have to wait too long before I can get started again as I know I will be able to get work (fairly) easily once I return.

Thank you very much!

I was in a similar situation, but I don't think it sped things up any for me (although I got my green card superfast compared to lots of people). What you want to make sure of is that you can get your certified copy of your marriage certificate as quickly as possible after the wedding because you must have it in order to apply for AOS. Some places can get it to you the same day; others, you may have to wait several weeks. You'll have to call around to find out who can do it quickly for you.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.