DC-Jackal

Arrived in the US thru K1 Visa. What's next?

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

arrived with no problems here in Texas thru K1. We already secured a marriage license and waiting for our schedule to get married. What's the next step now to adjust my status? Can I get a SSN first before getting married? or do we get married first then SSN, and other requirements to adjust status? how do I fill up the I-485 form? thanks. What are the requirements for adjustment of status? thanks :goofy:

arrived with no problems here in Texas thru K1. We already secured a marriage license and waiting for our schedule to get married. What's the next step now to adjust my status? Can I get a SSN first before getting married? or do we get married first then SSN, and other requirements to adjust status? how do I fill up the I-485 form? thanks. What are the requirements for adjustment of status? thanks :goofy:

how fast were you able to get a marriage license?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Get you SS number asap in your maiden the one on your PI passport, bring. Passport, 1-94, BC. If you wait too long and only have a few days 16 or less left on your I-94 entry date then you will have to wait for EAD or GC.

I would also go to the Texas Department of Motor Vehicle and get a Texas State Issued ID, it cost $16 and will be have an expiration date of 90 days after you entered USA (on your 194) this will make it easier to open bank accounts or get certain license in Texas, plus it will serve as a good ID instead of carrying your passport everywhere you go.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Get you SS number asap in your maiden the one on your PI passport, bring. Passport, 1-94, BC. If you wait too long and only have a few days 16 or less left on your I-94 entry date then you will have to wait for EAD or GC.

I would also go to the Texas Department of Motor Vehicle and get a Texas State Issued ID, it cost $16 and will be have an expiration date of 90 days after you entered USA (on your 194) this will make it easier to open bank accounts or get certain license in Texas, plus it will serve as a good ID instead of carrying your passport everywhere you go.

Other ID is not a substitute for carrying the passport. Until one has their green card they are required to carry their passport on them according to CBP.

My wife got her SSN in her married name two days after we were married. Requirement for getting the SSN in one's married name is a certified copy of the marriage certificate.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

Other ID is not a substitute for carrying the passport. Until one has their green card they are required to carry their passport on them according to CBP.

My wife got her SSN in her married name two days after we were married. Requirement for getting the SSN in one's married name is a certified copy of the marriage certificate.

I have decided it best for her to carry Texas ID and leave her passport in a safe place.

If you have less than 16 days left on your I94 entry date, then SS office can't do a SS Card, System will not let them.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

how fast were you able to get a marriage license?

Just 15min. Then we can use the licence or get married after 3 days.

Thanks to all for the replies. I dont have to change my family name btw. Lol. Im the fiancee

Timeline

I have decided it best for her to carry Texas ID and leave her passport in a safe place.

If you have less than 16 days left on your I94 entry date, then SS office can't do a SS Card, System will not let them.

CBP (Customs Border Patrol) state differently, run into the wrong CBP agent and your fiancee could be detained.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

Just 15min. Then we can use the licence or get married after 3 days.

Thanks to all for the replies. I dont have to change my family name btw. Lol. Im the fiancee

In regards to changing your name, the Philippines government has expectations of using the traditional married name format. Just be aware.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

CBP (Customs Border Patrol) state differently, run into the wrong CBP agent and your fiancee could be detained.

I have not seen a CBP agent nor a CBP van pulling over illegal aliens in lawn mowing vans since 1987.

If we travel on plane (or make a long distance trip across country) then she will have her Passport until we get her GC.

Timeline

We can't travel too far without tripping over a check point here.

I have heard that.

Come up to my area the illegal aliens stand on certain corners in each city waiting to be picked up for work.

Some cities have built jjob shack to cover them while they wait for workers. I live in the fastest growing city in USA for the last 10 years, and they are building houses and building like crazy. I would say 90% of the workers on the new construction houses are illegals.

Last time I saw a CBP was last year in San Fran airport, they were actually trying to check Asian passengers going back to Japan and Philippines to see if the were on overstay in USA, I yelled at them why in the hell are you messing with these people they are trying to leave the USA. Immigration in the USA is one Fvcked Up Mess....

Edited by VOL

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.