Jump to content

apply green card for Mom

6 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Read here:


mother lives outside the United States,
  • Form I-130
  • A copy of your birth certificate showing your name and your mother’s name
  • A copy of your Certificate of Naturalization or U.S. passport if you were not born in the United States

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

According to the I-130 form instructions:


What documents do you need to prove family relationship?

6. Mother: submit a copy of your birth certificate showing your name and your mother's name.

So yes, your mother's divorce document is not required.

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


I am US citizen, and if I would like to apply green card for my mother.

She is divorced, do I need to provide any divorce document when I apply I-130 or I-485?


Your original question was answered above and I'm not familiar with the required documents in this case, but I thought I'd add that if your mom wants to apply for citizenship some day, she will need to include a copy of her divorce document with her N400 naturalization application. I want to bring this up because it's probable easier for her to get a copy now rather than a few years down the line when she's in the US.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.