mbalih

February 2015 IR-1 / CR-1 Filers

2,747 posts in this topic

Guys

There's no regulatory rule that demands that applicants and or petitioners use a cover letter. Some folks include it so the adjudicating officer can see easily what's in your file, without having to be combing through it looking for things. And besides, when they might send an rfe for something already included the cover sheet might help highlighting that you've already included it. Don't stress yourself. A cover sheet won't approve or deny you for sure. It only shows you did some good home work for your application

Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it.

Filed: Country: Venezuela
Timeline

@spectrrr thank you.. How about my son? Do we need to make another cover letter or we have only one cover letter included my son I-130? Thank you so much for the sample cover letter of yours..

In your case, sending in multiple petitions in the same fedex pack, make sure you CLEARLY separate each petition in some way that is obvious what each packet is. As already noted, whether you include a long, bulleted and organized cover letter is a matter of preference.

Guys
There's no regulatory rule that demands that applicants and or petitioners use a cover letter. Some folks include it so the adjudicating officer can see easily what's in your file, without having to be combing through it looking for things. And besides, when they might send an rfe for something already included the cover sheet might help highlighting that you've already included it. Don't stress yourself. A cover sheet won't approve or deny you for sure. It only shows you did some good home work for your application

Correct! :)

I'll expand to note that most cover letters serve two distinct functions:

1) They reaffirm and state the purpose of the packet of documents sitting in the officers hands. This helps to avoid filing errors and make sure your packet gets to the right desk the first time around. I'm a big fan of redundancy, So I wrote I-130 petition in giant letters on the packet envelope, AND included a cover letter stating it was a I-130 petition for my spouse, AND of course there is the I-130 itself. Technically the guy sorting the mail should sort it based on the boxes checked at the top of the actual I-130 form... but mistakes happen. Putting that content in a cover letter and in big letters on the envelope simply serves as a double check for the mail sorter. He just read spousal I130 twice, so he's less likely to make a mistake when he gets to the actual form.

2) A cover letter serves as a tool for organization. In most cases, HOW you organize the packet is not so important, much more important is THAT it is organized in some manner. It's not a technical requirement. But as j-zealous stated, it can help cut down on RFE's if it's a document you included, but the official didn't notice at the time. They check the table of contents, org system, or whatever you're using, see it should be there, and go look for it again before blindly sending out an RFE. Ultimately, I chose the cover letter system (+ numbered tabs corresponding to the cover letter item numbers) because I'm a very logical 1-2-3-4 kind of person and love numbered lists. It's the organization system that works for me. If you have a different one that will make sense to strangers, feel free to use it instead :)

-=-=-=-=-=- OUR TIMELINE AND JOURNEY: -=-=-=-=-=-

03 / 2008 -- First visit to Venezuela, while visiting friends, I first met my future fiance
2008-2012 -
Six more visits to Venezuela and a proposal :)

04 / 2013 -- MARRIED IN VENEZUELA!! biggrin.png

05 / 2013 -- TR-FV visa issued to live in Venezuela for 1 year.

05 / 2014 -- TR-FV visa extension issued to continue living in Venezuela for 1 more year.

02 / 18 / 2015 -- I-130 paperwork handed to FedEx

02 / 25 / 2015 -- Received at Chicago LockBox

02 / 27 / 2015 -- NOA1 received. (California Service Center)

05 / 20 / 2015 -- NOA2 approval. (84 days).

-=-=-=-=-=- THE FUTURE: -=-=-=-=-=-

2017 - Wife goes back to school for 2 more years in the US so she can practice (Dentist)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I really appreciated the cover letter. I tweaked it and used it. It helped me to ensure that I had included the necessary information. Thanks a lot and as always...GOD bless

Thank you mbalih. Its been 13 days since noa1. I know of someone who got noa2 last weeek. 2 weeks after noa1!!!!

Well. You will get yours soon too since you are from The Phillipines!

Watch out for it in the next 2 weeks.!!

Hi everyone! I got an email from USCIS that they already forwarded our case to NVC. God speed!

Congratulations once again!!

Now we all wait patiently for some action with our petitions.

God is Good!!

Thank you. I'm just worried now coz we might encounter some problem regarding the AOS of my husband. NVC may ask 3 years ITR but my husband had no job on 2012. Hope everything will goes well despite this worries.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.