-Shana-

UK VJers Progress Update Thread

3,615 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Now that is great news!

You must be so relieved :)

My house looks huge and only some of the furniture has gone, the rest goes next Thursday, me and the dog are rattling round in big half empty rooms - feels weird

Oh that must be such a weird feeling..... it's quite a sad feeling leaving your home. I am currently lodging at my dads house - all my stuff except clothes were shipped and are in storage in US. I don't have that "empty" feeling like you might do!

I am the beneficiary originally from UK !!

ROC Timeline:

01.04.19: I-751 Received @ Phoenix

01.09.19: Check Cashed

02.13.19: NOA Received

04.30.19: Biometrics Completed

Oh that must be such a weird feeling..... it's quite a sad feeling leaving your home. I am currently lodging at my dads house - all my stuff except clothes were shipped and are in storage in US. I don't have that "empty" feeling like you might do!

Always feels strange walking about a place for the last time, even more so if you've been there for a while.

Only really be my clothes and laptop that'll be making the journey with me, can't lose all my music that would just about kill me! Half my wardrobe is sat waiting for me, hopefully my Mum & Dad, will have space when they come over for more of my stuff.

Timeline

It's been awhile since I've been in this thread. For the K1, we are all well and good and waiting in the AOS queue. Hopefully that'll go well in a timely manner.

We've had a few bumps along the road, and hopefully these don't bite us later... Maybe someone can add some advice to this situation. Upon arriving and prior to marriage, my wife applied for a SSN and that went well. After marriage, we then went down, and had her name changed post marriage. That didn't go so well, as when we got the card, they incorrectly spelled her name. (Note: Her name is constantly spelled incorrectly and we've had to correct this many times with many people). We then went back to the SSN office and were informed they could not update her name because we were within the 2 week period to her I-94 expiring. I now have no clue how to update this. I'm thinking we will need to wait till post AOS.

Additionally, we'd like to get a state ID with her new name and picture on it. We previously created a joint bank account using her passport, SSN card (the one before the mistake), and the marriage certificate. About a month later, we were informed that these forms of ID do not constitute enough proof of identity and they'd be closing the joint account. From what I understand, we can try to get a state ID with the I-797 from the AOS, and then work to reopen a proper account. We haven't done this because the I-797 came back to us with her name spelled incorrectly, and we're having that changed as well. This could take a month or more.

We joke sometimes that she should have changed her first name to something simple through marriage. :)

gsma--

Being a K1, you are kind of a nothing to banks, driver license places, etc. That's because all you were authorized for was 90 days in the U.S. When that expires, you have nothing on paper you can show that says you are allowed to be in the US until x date. Your receipt for applying for AOS is just a receipt that you have applied for a greencard. It doesn't mean approved and you are permanent. There is nothing on it that says you are here legally until Dec 2016 for example.

Meanwhile banks, DMVs, etc are under rules that says they must verify you are here legally. What can you show? Nothing. Each state is different in their driver license/state id rules but most require at least an EAD card which has a date on it showing you are legal for one year. They will issue a license that expires the same day as your EAD CARD.

EAD cards will come in 60-90 days after applying (with your AOS). If you didn't apply, then it could be way longer until you get a greencard and have something to show Social Security, the bank, and DMV that you are legal. Many banks are not so strict. People have issues like you and others don't. But all the places have rules that are imposed on them to require certain evidence of your immigrant status. It works fine for most visa types, but the K1 is kinda odd man out and doesn't quite fit the model.

Your SSN is a valid number. Use it whether your name is correct or not. Use your married name despite it not being on SS records. You can fix it when you get your EAD or greencard. I don't know California license or ID specific rules so look them up and they should have something with how you can prove your legal presence...EAD, greencard, etc. Your visa is no longer valid because a K1 expires when you enter, unlike a student visa for example. If they give a license on a valid I-94, it would expire when your 90 day entry ran out, so pointless now. You might want to talk to a supervisor at the bank or talk to another bank.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Our NOA1 hard copy arrived today. My fiance just sent me a photo of it.

K-1 Jan 2016 Applicant timeline.

I-129f sent to lock box 7th January 2016.
Delivered 11th January 2016.
NOA1 sent to CSC January 14th 2016.
NOA1 Hard copy January 21st 2016.
RFE email 10th March 2016.
RFE hard copy - 21th March 2016.
RFE Evidence sent- 4th April 2016.
RFE Received by USCIS- 6th April 2016.
NOA2 Received by email dated 18th April 2016.
NOA2 hard copy - April 21st 2016
NVC Recieved- May 9th 2016.
NVC number received- May 9th 2016.
DS-160 filled out - 9th May 2016.
Medical - May 18th 2016
CEAC in Transit - 11th May 2016.
CEAC update embassy received medical- may 24th 2016
Interview- June 15th 2016. - approved!!
POE- July 13th 2016 -Chicago

Married July 18th 2016. (L)

AOS

Package sent- August 18th 2016

Arrived at Chicago Lockbox- August 20th 2016.

NOA 1 - August 25th 2016 (text received 27th).

AP NOA1- 22nd August 2016 (text received 27th).

EAD NOA1- 22nd August 2016 (email received 27th).

NOA1 Hard copies received- September 1st 2016.

Bio-metrics- 20th September 2016.

Request Initial Information for I-485 - October 6th 2016.

RFIE- Affidavit Support information October 11th 2016.

RFIE- Response sent Overnight USPS. October 17th 2016.

RFIE- Delivered October 18th 2016.

RFIE- Received by USCIS October 20th 2016.

EAD- Card Being produced November 17th 2016.

AP- Approved November 17th 2016.

Timeline

gsma--

... the K1 is kinda odd man out and doesn't quite fit the model.

This is us in a nutshell. We make due, and we've learned patience throughout this. Most of this is pure inconvenience.

Thank you for your encouragement. :)

Note: I did ring up the CA DMV, and they told me over the phone that the documents we have will work. I guess I'll know when I go down... ONCE the documents have names that are spelled correctly. :)

Our NOA1 hard copy arrived today. My fiance just sent me a photo of it.

Congrats :D

Everything crossed for a smooth and stress free journey

Timeline

I'm in a really good mood today and I just wanted to say good morning and happy Friday to all my UK VJ'ers!

Let's hope Friday is the day for good news to anyone waiting on approvals, visa's, NOA's and interviews!!

ROC Timeline:

I'm in a really good mood today and I just wanted to say good morning and happy Friday to all my UK VJ'ers!

Let's hope Friday is the day for good news to anyone waiting on approvals, visa's, NOA's and interviews!!

Hi, sure sounds like you are, the best day of the working week :)

Hoping so i'm itching to get ahold of the letter.

Timeline

Hi, sure sounds like you are, the best day of the working week :)

Hoping so i'm itching to get ahold of the letter.

I work Monday to Friday, 9-5. And have been for 10 years... so Friday's are always exciting to me as it's the weekend! And I pick up my wedding dress tomo, as I needed to get it adjusted, so that's exciting!

I wanted to spread my good vibes to you all..... what time does your post come, I want to see good news!

ROC Timeline:

I work Monday to Friday, 9-5. And have been for 10 years... so Friday's are always exciting to me as it's the weekend! And I pick up my wedding dress tomo, as I needed to get it adjusted, so that's exciting!

I wanted to spread my good vibes to you all..... what time does your post come, I want to see good news!

Same here although my hours can vary, been here nearly 14 i'm so ready for a change from the insurance business!!!

That is very exciting :)

Around 12:30 for our post although I won't know until i get home from work.

Loving the happy vibes :)

Timeline

Same here although my hours can vary, been here nearly 14 i'm so ready for a change from the insurance business!!!

That is very exciting :)

Around 12:30 for our post although I won't know until i get home from work.

Loving the happy vibes :)

INSURANCE?! ME TOO!! Broker or underwriter?

ROC Timeline:

Timeline

Neither unfortunately, phone monkey for a car insurer :P

Ohhh hahah!! well, still insurance, so I feel your pain! you gonna stick to insurance when you look for work in US? I work for a global broker (willis) so I am hoping to get some sort of transfer eventually.

ROC Timeline:

Ohhh hahah!! well, still insurance, so I feel your pain! you gonna stick to insurance when you look for work in US? I work for a global broker (willis) so I am hoping to get some sort of transfer eventually.

Yeah what a delight this gig is! Hoping not to if i'm honest, ready for a clean break but if it comes down to it I would.

That sounds more fun than my job speaking to companies like Aviva and UK Insurance.

Sounds like you enjoy a lot more than me haha.

Oh and just to add I work for the insurer with the green heart that haunts me on tv.

Edited by AndyR82

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.