Angeladjc88

Brazilian and Italian citizenship

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
I am the son of an Italian citizen.

I'm Italian and Brazilian citizenship, for I was born in Brazil, but Brazil is not eligible in the lottery.

My father came to Brazil with five years with his parents and stayed here.

My question is if I can use my Italian citizenship to apply the green card lottery or use the citizenship of my father, who was born in Italy.

I need help, because in the immigration site are confused about being the son of an eligible citizen.

Thanks!

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

If you have dual citizenship you can apply as an Italian citizen, residing in Brazil and make sure you use the information contained in your Italian passport.

However, you can't apply based on your father's citizenship alone. You must be an Italian citizen yourself in order to apply.

Good luck!

I'm Italian and Brazilian citizenship, for I was born in Brazil, but Brazil is not eligible in the lottery.
My question is if I can use my Italian citizenship to apply the green card lottery or use the citizenship of my father, who was born in Italy.
I need help, because in the immigration site are confused about being the son of an eligible citizen.
Thanks!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: Country: Ecuador
Timeline

If you have dual citizenship you can apply as an Italian citizen, residing in Brazil and make sure you use the information contained in your Italian passport.

However, you can't apply based on your father's citizenship alone. You must be an Italian citizen yourself in order to apply.

Good luck!

I don't think this is right. My understanding is that for the DV lottery, you must -- with very few exceptions -- apply based on your country of birth. The following excerpt from the information sheet at http://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/DV-2015-Instructions-Translations/DV_2015_Instructions.pdflays out the circumstances in which it might be possible to apply based on connections to a country other than one's country of birth. In this situation, for example, it might be possible to apply as an Italian if your father was only in Brazil temporarily, but that does not seem to be the case ...

Can I still apply if I was not born in a qualifying country?

There are two circumstances in which you still might be eligible to apply. First, if your derivative spouse was born in an eligible country, you may claim chargeability to that country. As your eligibility is based on your spouse, you will only be issued a DV-1 immigrant visa if your spouse is also eligible for and issued a DV-2 visa. Both of you must enter the United States together using your DVs. Similarly, your minor dependent child can be “charged” to a parent’s country of birth.

Second, you can be “charged” to the country of birth of either of your parents as long as neither of your parents was born in or a resident of your country of birth at the time of your birth. People are not generally considered residents of a country in which they were not born or legally naturalized, if they were only visiting, studying in the country temporarily, or stationed temporarily for business or professional reasons on behalf of a company or government from a different country other than the one in which you were born.

Thanks!

Good luck!

The above answer is incorrect. Citizenship/nationality/passports are all irrelevant to DV. In almost all cases your eligibility is determined by birth country unless you can charge to (1) a spouse or (2) parents if they were temporarily in your country of birth at the time you were born. Five years could not be considered 'temporary' so I am afraid that unless you have a spouse from an eligible country, you are not eligible to enter.

Good luck!

That answer deserves a facepalm.

DV Lottery information - www.BritSimonSays.com

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.