annem

Belgium : K1 appointment letter not received - confused

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline

Hello,

I hope you guys can help me, I'm kind of desperate and totally confused...

I sent the checklist form to the embassy in Brussels on Dec 23 and so far (about 3 weeks now) I haven't received the interview letter from the embassy. I saw on other Belgian VJers' timelines that it usually takes 1 week. I blamed it on the holidays.

I'm starting to get worried, so I called the embassy on Monday. The first time I called, I was told that I wasn't supposed to wait for an appointment letter, instead, I should sign up to usvisa-info.com and schedule my own appointment there. So I tried to do that, paid for the interview fee and when they got the money, they sent me an automatic email. I thought, "Great, now I can schedule my interview". Well I was wrong. The interview scheduling section on that website says:

Do not continue with this process if you have not received a Consular appointment letter from the National Visa Center (NVC), Kentucky Consular Center (KCC) or the Consular Section.

Enter the Consular location and exact date from the appointment letter you received from the NVC, KCC, or the Consular Section.

You are not scheduling an appointment, you are only registering your appointment information from the received appointment letter.

The Consular Section will not process applicants who enter false or different information than what is on your appointment letter.

So yes, it seems I do need an appointment letter now :(

So I called the embassy in Brussels again today. The lady who picked up the phone this time told me she had no idea what the process is for scheduling a K1 visa (sounds more realistic than what the first lady told me). So I asked her if anyone could help me. She said I should send an email to brusselsvisas@state.gov with my inquiry. I did that this morning, but in the meantime, can you help me figure out what is going on?

Should I blame this delay on the holidays or shoud I become worried now? After all, maybe they did send an appointment letter and it never made it to my address...

Thanks!

Timeline

good evening! I see that you are in Belgium (so is my fiance) after you did the DS160, you did your medical got all docs together and now when is your interview?

I'm sorry, just curious, could you tell me tips on how this process has gone?

We got approved 01/15/15, USCIS sent to NVS 01/22/15, so now I am trying to call for our case # so that he can start DS160....

Thanks in advance and good luck at your interview!!

:dancing:

Edited by melissaandjamshid

Timeline

Hello !

At your stage he should indeed expect a letter from the embassy which will include a check-list of documents to gather, information about the medical exam etc. In that checklist they ask the beneficiary to send a form along with the DS 160 confirmation page. You're also supposed to send them back the signed check list when you're finished gathering the docs. When they have received those forms and check list they're supposed to assign you a appointment date and time through a letter.

I didn't get mine after waiting for 3 weeks... Most Belgians here wait for 1 week, so I knew something was wrong. Also they keep misspelling my family name, so I'm wondering if that's why I didn't get the appointment letter the first time.

If you feel you've been waiting for too long between NVC and embassy, don't hesitate to contact NVC and/or the embassy to know where your file is at. For us it was quite fast. You can also use the DHL tracking method. It worked for us. You will find several threads about that on the forum.

Best of luck! :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.