antda

Anyone here from/living in/moving to NYS?

39 posts in this topic

I drove through NYS, does that count?

2001 Met

2005 Married

I-485/I-130

12/06/2006-------Mailed I-130/1-485

12/16/2006--------Recieved NOA 1 (I-130 & I-485)

12/18/2006--------Touched I-130/I-485

01/20/2007--------Biometrics

05/10/2007 -- Interview, Approved!

05/22/2007 GREEN CARD arrives!!!

02/2009 - File to lift conditions

I-765

12/14/2006--- Mailed EAD App.

01/20/2007--- Biometrics

02/09/2005-------Sent in request to Congressional office for assistance with expediting EAD.

02/13/2007 -------- EAD Approved!

02/26/2007 - ------EAD received

Removal of Conditions:

05/12/2009 -- Overnighted application by USPS express mail (VSC).

05/14/2009 -- Green Card expired.

05/23/2009 --- Check cleared bank.

05/26/2009 -- Received NOA (NOA date May 15, 2009, guess they aren't deporting me).

05/29/2009- Biometrics Notice date

06/01/2009- Received Biometrics Letter

06/18/2009 - Biometrics

09/23/2009 - date of decision to approve (letter received), just waiting for card. No online updates whatsoever.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Jane,

Good luck on your immigration journey. Sure, driving through NYS counts. What did you like best on your drive through NYS?

Ant

I drove through NYS, does that count?

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

That they had Burger King's in some of the Service Plaza's - all the ones here only seem to have McDonalds :).

It was actually a straight through drive from Niagara Falls to the back end of Massachusetts :(.

I would have liked to have stopped, but I had a neurotic cat in the car both times I completed the drive, so I couldn't take time for sight seeing.

I did find the highway very well maintained though and everyone (including the state police) showed blatant disregard for the speed limit, so it was a fast drive.

There was some pretty scenery and a couple nice places with some rolling farm type land. Very pretty state.

Edited by jane2005

2001 Met

2005 Married

I-485/I-130

12/06/2006-------Mailed I-130/1-485

12/16/2006--------Recieved NOA 1 (I-130 & I-485)

12/18/2006--------Touched I-130/I-485

01/20/2007--------Biometrics

05/10/2007 -- Interview, Approved!

05/22/2007 GREEN CARD arrives!!!

02/2009 - File to lift conditions

I-765

12/14/2006--- Mailed EAD App.

01/20/2007--- Biometrics

02/09/2005-------Sent in request to Congressional office for assistance with expediting EAD.

02/13/2007 -------- EAD Approved!

02/26/2007 - ------EAD received

Removal of Conditions:

05/12/2009 -- Overnighted application by USPS express mail (VSC).

05/14/2009 -- Green Card expired.

05/23/2009 --- Check cleared bank.

05/26/2009 -- Received NOA (NOA date May 15, 2009, guess they aren't deporting me).

05/29/2009- Biometrics Notice date

06/01/2009- Received Biometrics Letter

06/18/2009 - Biometrics

09/23/2009 - date of decision to approve (letter received), just waiting for card. No online updates whatsoever.

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Jane,

That sounds like a nice drive through NYS that you described. I presume that you drove on the "I-90 Interstate" on your way back (lol..and no, that is not the name of an immigration form, at least from a NYSer's point of view). How was it like driving with the cat for so long? The highways are ok around here. And there are plenty of "picnic-like rest areas" along the way too. If ever you are in NYS again, you should try driving along the local country roads too, it's very scenic, indeed.

Since you are from Mass. (that's what it says on your profile), it reminds me: I remember on our road trip driving through the "MassPike" when my husband and I went to Boston in the summer. It was like some long toll road that we couldn't get off of, unless we paid again. The rest stops looked like "clones" though, as each of them had big parking areas, tourist info, and McDonalds, and they all looked the same on the outside. I'm sure when meeting others at the reststops, one would be confused as to where to go meet! I liked the big "Welcome to Mass." sign at some of these stops though. Still, I liked the Mass. area (very scenic, lots of history, etc.), and wouldn't mind visiting there again sometime.

Ant

That they had Burger King's in some of the Service Plaza's - all the ones here only seem to have McDonalds :).

It was actually a straight through drive from Niagara Falls to the back end of Massachusetts :(.

I would have liked to have stopped, but I had a neurotic cat in the car both times I completed the drive, so I couldn't take time for sight seeing.

I did find the highway very well maintained though and everyone (including the state police) showed blatant disregard for the speed limit, so it was a fast drive.

There was some pretty scenery and a couple nice places with some rolling farm type land. Very pretty state.

Edited by antocru

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Indian food from Queens...girl don't make my mouth water.

I love Jackson Heights!!

I'm also from NYS - although in late 2005 I moved to sunny Florida. My fiance is from the state of Amazonas in Brasil so imagine the heat he is used to! He'll be here by mid-to-late March and I think it's better for him to be in the warm weather. We'll go to NY in the end of May :luv:

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

I'm from Albany, just moved to FL about 8 months ago. Hopefully moving back up north within about 5 yrs ... husband wants to go to CT. I miss Albany (haven't been back yet...no money) because my parents live there. :( I'm close to my mom so it's hard sometimes. :luv:

Hi Everyone!

Is it just me or am I the only one on VJ who is from/living in New York State? "Is there anyone else out there from/living in/planning to move to New York State?"

If so, I thought it would be fun to start a message thread for all you NYSers (and for anyone else who is interested) to share your thoughts and ideas about this beautiful part of America...

"I (L) NYS!!", do you?

Ant

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Timeline

Wow, I totally already responded to this. I'm going nuts.

I'm from Albany, just moved to FL about 8 months ago. Hopefully moving back up north within about 5 yrs ... husband wants to go to CT. I miss Albany (haven't been back yet...no money) because my parents live there. :( I'm close to my mom so it's hard sometimes. :luv:
Hi Everyone!

Is it just me or am I the only one on VJ who is from/living in New York State? "Is there anyone else out there from/living in/planning to move to New York State?"

If so, I thought it would be fun to start a message thread for all you NYSers (and for anyone else who is interested) to share your thoughts and ideas about this beautiful part of America...

"I (L) NYS!!", do you?

Ant

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

Timeline

Well, I hate the cold. I'm always cold, even in Florida. My now-husband has been living in the states taking care of his father's wrongful death lawsuit - I fell in love, and fell hard. Left my life in NY behind, because I wasn't happy (and while quitting school was maybe not the smartest thing, I was miserable where I was).

But I do miss the change of seasons - here, we're lucky to get some days that are in the thirties, leaves don't fall off the trees, etc etc. He wants to move to Connecticut (I don't know why he picked here - close enough to NYC I guess, closer to my parents, etc). I want to stay here to finish school - way cheaper here, a state university is only about 4000 a year. Where I'm located in FL it's a lot of strip malls, not the palm tree lined streets I like to envision - there's palm trees just not a ton, I guess. Traffic is so bad that what should be a 12 minute drive can easily turn into an hour, and to do anything we have to go to Tampa, which is a half hr in good circumstances...you get the idea. In Albany there might not be as MUCH to do, but at least I can get there in a reasonable amount of time.

There's nothing I really loved about growing up there ... just wanted to get out, really, but now I miss it because it's home and it's where my family is. And my northern accent doesn't stand out there, hehe. :luv:

PS - I LOVE cats :)

Hi Meow (I assume that you like cats?),

Good luck on your immigration journey. (Sends some snow down to meow, as we have too much snow here). Yeah, it must be a hard adjustment to go from snow to no snow (although some say it's harder to go the other way around, which I don't agree). So if you miss the snow, then why did you relocate to Florida, if you don't mind me asking. What did you like best about being born in and being raised in Albany, NY?

Well, the key to driving in snow is to prepare ahead of time. But think about it this way, would you rather be stuck in a snowstorm, than be caught in a traffic jam (which is about the same time-wise)? Personally, I'll rather deal with the snow in the country, than the people in the city (and yes, road rage does kill people!).

I agree, the "I don't drive in snow" excuse is lame. They might as well just give up their license and say "I don't drive at all". For it is not real driving if one has not driven in snow! Perhaps one should offer lessons as to how to drive in snow, for those people that don't know how to?

Ant

I'm a USC, born and raised in Albany, NY. Only miss it and like it now that I've relocated to Florida.

As for the snow, yes it's awful to drive in. A 20 minute commute easily turns into a 70 minute commute. And the "I don't drive in the snow" excuse is lame, and people will laugh at you. Learn.

Edited by meow mix

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.