stev

Review of Medical: Vancouver - Dr. Cheema

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Today was my medical appointment in Vancouver and I thought I would share my experience with everyone and hopefully give some helpful advice. First, before I even start with the info from my trip to Vancouver, I want to let you know that there is a phone number you can call (604-597-1233) if you need to make changes to your initial appointment. You will have to schedule your appointment through their email instructions but I was able to change my appointment date and time very easily by calling this number and the receptionist was extremely helpful and accomodating.

So my appointment was at 7am on a Thursday and I was staying downtown Vancouver. The fastest/cheapest way for me to get from downtown Van to Surrey was to take the Skytrain to Scott Road Station, once you get off there, there will be cabs waiting. Take a cab from there to Dr. Cheema's office. I strongly recommend scheduling an early appointment. So once I arrived (I was the first one there) the receptionist/nurse checked me in, she was very very very nice and friendly but you must have the required documentation so here is a list of exactly what you need:

-passport

-packet 4 email (must have case # on it)

-vaccination records (i recommend making sure they align with the requirements prior to going to your medical)

-4 passport photos

-proof of appointment at us consulate, i brought my confirmation email

-current address, intended address in US

Once she has taken a photo copy of all the documents you will need to pay and indicate whether you would like to pick the results up after 4:30pm the following day or have them couriered to an address of your choice (additional fee). I got my results couriered back to Calgary and the total for the medical and the courier was $311 CAD.

Once she checked me in, took about 15 minutes, she will take your weight and height and then seat you for Dr. Cheema. Dr. Cheema came in right away and he was SO nice. He was the friendliest doctor I have ever met and he chatted with me about my move and what I did for a living, asked if I was on any medications, asked a series of questions required by immigration, he took temperature, checked chest and did an abdomen exam with the female nurse present. He then checked my ears and did a quick eye test and said I was healthy as could be and there are no issues.

At that point I went back to the receptionist/nurse and she gave me the requisition for the chest x ray and the blood test. She offered to call me a cab or said it was only 15 minute walk. I chose to walk and I warn you it is not 15 minutes! It was 2.5 kms and about a 35 minute walk so I would highly recommend taking a cab. The great thing about having a 7 am appointment was that I was done at Dr. Cheemas office at 7:30 am and with my 35 minute walk I got to the xray lab right when they opened at 8:00 am. Try and get there as it is opening because shortly after i arrived 8 more people showed up and there was only one xray technician. I was second in line and was in and out in a matter of minutes. Only one xray and very fast. Once you finish with the xray go up to the second floor to the lab for your blood work. Make sure you grab a number as soon as you walk in! I had about a 15-20 minute wait for my blood test and they only took one vile and then I was done. Right before I was called to get my test done I called the same cab company back to pick me up at the lab. The cab driver took me back to the Scott Road Station and i hopped back on the train to downtown Van.

All in all it was an extremely smooth process and everyone was so nice! From appointment time until I was done was one hour and 40 minutes and I attribute the speed which I made it through to the early morning appointment time! I could see how the later in the day you get the more waiting you would have to do. It was a surprisingly pleasant experience and everyone was very helpful and friendly.

Do not stress about the part of the process!! Hope this info helps!

Great job on the review Stev! I am going for my medical with Dr. Cheema next Friday. Thanks for your help. I am in Calgary also but I will be flying in at 7:30 so I got a later appointment.

Do you still have to go to Montreal for the actual interview?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thank you Stev!

You always have been helpful..

Goodluck on your interview..

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS  (CSC) FROM K1 VISA

06.23.17 - Application sent

06.26.17 - Received

06.29.17 - NOA

07.10.17 - Biomentrics Notice (via Post mail)

07.17.17 - Biometrics schedule

09.16.17 - 10 year GC received

CITIZENSHIP (N400)

02.26.2020 - Online Application

02.27.2020 - NOA

03.16.2020 - Biometrics Appointment

03.06.2020 - Biometrics Completed (Walk in)

Timeline

Do you still have to go to Montreal for the actual interview?

Yes I'm headed to Montreal in less than a week!! It's a minor inconvenience but just so happy to have an interview!

Enjoy your medical with Dr. Cheema and good luck at your interview!

Yes I'm headed to Montreal in less than a week!! It's a minor inconvenience but just so happy to have an interview!

Enjoy your medical with Dr. Cheema and good luck at your interview!

Enjoy Montreal! This whole process will be soon over with and we will be living a new life! Exciting!

-21 here in Calgary now but next week it's plus 12 - gotta love the weather here!

All the best!

Timeline

i wanted to let everyone know that i received my courierd medical results in Calgary by 9:30am on Monday following my Thursday am medical appointment. If you are in a rush to receive your results like I was, I would let the receptionist at the medical office know and she will try and rush the package out which she did in my case.

She then emailed me a tracking number for Puralator which she emailed and let me know they had been picked up. Great cutomer service and I was relieved to receive them in time!

I am off to Montreal tomorrow - wish me luck!

• 10 months later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It is OK, but it's spendy. I spent $45 for a TDAP today :/

Bring Cash or they take debit, but not credit cards.

2009/09/30 Married
IR-1 begins: 2015/07/07 Courier I-130 petition to Chicago

2015/07/08 Petition delivered | NOA1 date
2015/07/10 Received emailed NOA1 (California) 2015/07/20 Received snail mail NOA1
2015/08/25 NOA2 by email/USCIS site (48 days) 2015/09/02 Received snail mail NOA2

2015/09/15 Received by NVC (21 days)

2015/09/27 Case number assigned (12 days) 2015/09/28 Got case number and IIN over the phone
2015/09/28 Submitted DS-261 2015/09/29 Paid AOS fee (IN PROCESS) 2015/10/01 AOS fee PAID
2015/10/13 Received NVC Welcome Letter hard copy
2015/10/15 Reviewed DS-261 (17 days)
2015/10/16 Received IV Invoice 2015/10/16 Paid IV fee (IN PROCESS)

2015/10/17 Submitted AOS package & IV package 2015/10/19 IV fee PAID 2015/10/19 Submitted DS-260 (scan date)

2015/10/20 Re-sent files (new scan date) 2015/10/29 CASE COMPLETE!

2015/11/13 Heard about interview date (phone) (15 days) 2015/12/07 Medical

2015/12/18 INTERVIEW! 221(g) request for additional sponsor. Otherwise good to go!

2016/01/07 Additional information and passport sent back to Mtl Consulate.

2016/01/12 Passport & 221g delivered to Consulate

2016/01/14 Status updated on CEAC; no update yet on ais.usvisa-info.com

2016/01/28 Status updated to READY 2016/01/29 Status updated to ISSUED

2016/02/01 Received Canada Post info 2016/02/03 Got it!

2016/02/04 POE YVR

2016/03/18 Received green card

2018/11/08 Submitted N-400 online

2018/11/09 Estimated wait time: 31 Days  2018/11/09 Estimated case completion time: 11 months

2018/11/10 Biometrics appt scheduled 2018/11/13 Appointment letter received online

2018/11/27 Biometrics appt

2019/02/25 Interview scheduled

2019/04/01 Interview: APPROVED

2019/04/23 Oath Ceremony

2020/04/03 Elected to local office

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

hi all,

sorry i have been absent on VJ for the last while but I saw this question on vaccinations and wanted to let you know what i did. i called alberta health services and they are able to mail you vaccination records from whatever city you request. i requested mine and then compared those to what is required by the US government. i was missing one vaccine and the flu shot so i went and got it done, it was covered by AB healthcare so i didnt have to pay out of pocket.

i wanted to warn you when you go through the border on your fiance visa, you will have a copy of your xray and vaccines -- DO NOT give them to the border officers. i did at first because both he and i were unsure if i was supposed to but i went out to the parking lot and did some research on my phone and went back in and got them. you need them to send with your AOS application so make sure you keep the sealed envelope that you get from the medical results.

i have been living in denver for almost a year now and i could not be happier. believe me, this long tedious process is well worth it!

i just received my I-797C today which is my appointment date for adjustment of status application so my appointment is scheduled for february 3!

good luck to alll of you:)

Hello fellow Albertan living in Denver! :D

I hope your interview goes well. :D

BTW thanks for posting this review before. It's always helpful for other members.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.