mitchanme

Health insurance with no green card?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So, I have my combo EAD/ advance parole card, and have had the 6 month delay letter regarding green card. Health insurance companies in town here are saying I cannot get insurance due to not having green card. I have my SSN, it seems so stupid that I could possibly get a job with medical benefits but can't actually purchase insurance. I've been without for over 6 months now and am getting very nervous. I have had no trouble crossing the border with the card. Has anyone else experienced this and what the heck did you do?

Thanks.

So I was starting to look into health insurance for my new hubby...

I checked healthcare.gov (the Obamacare website)

https://www.healthcare.gov/immigrants/immigration-status/

You DO qualify to purchase health insurance through the exchange while your status is "adjustment to LPR," so I don't know why your employers carrier wouldn't allow you to enroll. I might ask to speak to someone with some more clout if possible?

Applicants for any of these statuses qualify to use the Marketplace:
  • Temporary Protected Status with Employment Authorization
  • Special Immigrant Juvenile Status
  • Victim of Trafficking Visa
  • Adjustment to LPR Status
  • Asylum (see note below)
  • Withholding of Deportation, or Withholding of Removal, under the immigration laws or under the Convention against Torture (CAT) (see note below)

I'm not sure how your state's healthcare exchange works, but in Washington, DC they ask for your "A Number" (Alien Number), which is the same thing as your USCIS Number (although they don't always explicitly state that). Your EAD should be enough.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks guys, I think I will try online instead of through an agent. He also told us that if we got any "Obamacare" type things and had any medical care that they would take our house. That's why I've been worried about doing it through the marketplace thing. I have a sneaking suspicion he's fibbing. It's all so complicated!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

I arrived on K1 almost a month ago and already have insurance -- heavily subsidised because I'm months away from being allowed to work (if things ever get that far :( ) so I won't have great income this year. I went to the local Blue Cross Blue Shield subsidiary, and they knew how to do it, and I was actually pleasantly surprised by how little it cost after the subsidy and how good the coverage is for the $$. So yes, it definitely can be done!

IIRC they just needed my passport, visa, A number, and I have to send in proof of income.

Try a different insurance company, if you can, or at least a different staff member; sounds like you got a dud.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.