Girona40

WWII songs in German

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Some of you will know that I am going to England on Wednesday.

My father has asked me to try and find a CD of WWII songs, all the usual US and UK favourites, but sung in German. He says he heard the CD was only available in the US.

Any of you heard of it, or have any idea? I have searched Amazon and can't find anything close.

I would really appreciate it is any of you have any ideas. I would really like to be able to do this for him.

Thanks

G.

Our journey started in 2001 and it's still not over. It's been a rollercoaster ride all the way! Let me off - I wanna be sick!

Timeline

No-one out there with German family members that listen to this kind of stuff?

Our journey started in 2001 and it's still not over. It's been a rollercoaster ride all the way! Let me off - I wanna be sick!

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

There are WWII songs? Never heard of it or even if...I have never noticed that they are about WWII. Sorry.

What are the song titles in English?

Removal of Conditions Timeline:

03/19/2008 - package sent to TSC, let's hope for the best

03/20/2008 - check cashed

03/26/2008 - case sent to Vermont Service Center

04/17/2008 - Biometrics scheduled

05/19/2008 - received I551 extension stamp via INFOPASS

02/12/2009 - APPROVED

02/21/2009 - GC received...no mistakes...valid until 2019

what are WWII songs?

Songs popular in Germany during the war?

Sung in German?

US and UK favourites sung in German?

I don't get it.

short history:

2001 - met in Germany

April 2003 - fell in love

Aug 2004 - go to the US for internship

Feb 2005 - both return to Germany

Aug 2006 - getting married

DCF timeline:

09/01/2006 - filed the petition in Frankfurt

09/06/2006 - medical in Frankfurt

09/26/2006 - faxed checklist

10/05/2006 - received interview invite

11/01/2006 - INTERVIEW in Frankfurt - approved!

11/04/2006 - VISA IN HAND!!

12/21/2006 - POE San Francisco and ON TO SEA!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lili_Marlene

A start.

US Immigration still ask if you were a member of the Nazi party, so may have limited interest here.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

name some titles... maybe then we can help you out

blackribbonsmall.png

Walk with the angels

let them keep you safe

we'll join you one day

in that wonderful place

stand on the clouds and never forget

we're holding on to you

in our memories and thoughts

until one day we'll meet again

Truly missed but never forgotten:

Diana

RIP 1982-08/2008

Verena

RIP 1983-03/2008

Daddy

RIP

"IMMIGRATION" PROCESS (TIMELINE):CLICK HERE

Timeline
There are WWII songs? Never heard of it or even if...I have never noticed that they are about WWII. Sorry.

By WWII songs, I mean songs that everybody listened to during WWII. Lili Marlene is the only one that I have found recorded in German.

Others like, "When the lights go on, all over the world", "The White Cliffs of Dover", etc. apparently are recorded in German on a CD. Sounds strange, I know, but he is certain it is available in the US. I'm damned if I can find it!

One CD entitled "Songs that got us through WWII" is a compelation of WWII songs, but they are all in English. I sent him a Marlene Deitrich cd - it's German, but I'm not sure it is really what he is looking for.

Oh well, if I can't, I can't. But I will keep trying.

Thanks.

Timeline
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lili_Marlene

A start.

US Immigration still ask if you were a member of the Nazi party, so may have limited interest here.

You certainly didn't have to be a member of the Nazi party to listen to music during the war, either in German or English.

Maybe you should concentrate on the era, not so much about the fact that it was WWII...

There's a lot of music you can find from the fourties. Or thirties. Or fifties.

Let me see...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Schlager-40er-Jahr...TF8&s=music

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Schlager-Stars-Die...TF8&s=music

There's plenty on amazon.co.uk if you put in "40er" as a search term.

You can look up what exactly is on the CDs on the German amazon site.

Does that help?

By WWII songs, I mean songs that everybody listened to during WWII. Lili Marlene is the only one that I have found recorded in German.

Others like, "When the lights go on, all over the world", "The White Cliffs of Dover", etc. apparently are recorded in German on a CD. Sounds strange, I know, but he is certain it is available in the US. I'm damned if I can find it!

One CD entitled "Songs that got us through WWII" is a compelation of WWII songs, but they are all in English. I sent him a Marlene Deitrich cd - it's German, but I'm not sure it is really what he is looking for.

Thanks.

short history:

2001 - met in Germany

DCF timeline:

Timeline

Yes, that does help. I never thought to look on a the German site for Amazon. I can do that.

He was quite specific that the CD was of songs from the War. I am guessing he heard about it from a radio programme or something. I wanted to surprise him when I got there next week.

Thanks again.

Maybe you should concentrate on the era, not so much about the fact that it was WWII...

Let me see...

Does that help?

Thanks.

The links are for the UK website!

And wouldn't all or most (German) songs from the 40s and 50s directly relate to the war?

Yes, that does help. I never thought to look on a the German site for Amazon. I can do that.

He was quite specific that the CD was of songs from the War. I am guessing he heard about it from a radio programme or something. I wanted to surprise him when I got there next week.

Thanks again.

Let me see...

Does that help?

Thanks.

short history:

2001 - met in Germany

DCF timeline:

Timeline

Yes, I understand that the links you sent were from amazon.co.uk, but I had a look at the German Amazon site and there are a few more there, ironically one was called "The White Cliffs of Dover", which is where my father lives. The songs are English, but sung in German. Typically, the CD is no longer available.

Never mind. I have ordered a Marlene Deitrich CD, in which she sings various songs in German and another one which is called "Songs that got us throgh WW2", which is in English but some songs he'll like.

Thanks for trying for me though.

The links are for the UK website!

And wouldn't all or most (German) songs from the 40s and 50s directly relate to the war?

Thanks again.

Let me see...

Does that help?

Thanks.