Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Got green card through marriage but now divorced. Am I eligible for Citizenship application?

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts


I got my permanent green card but now my husband wants a divorce, which means I won't be able to file citizenship once my GC reaches 3 years anniversary. I check USCIS website and it seems to me I can still can apply for citizenship when my GC reaches 5 years. Is it true?

Also, because I was divorced, do I need to provide any document to show that I lived with my ex-spouse, join-tax return, etc? What kind of document required?

Hope there are answers to my questions.

Many thanks for your help!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

1- If you have a conditional (2 year green card) you will have to go through the removal of conditions process first to get a 10 year green card. You can do this as the spouse of a US citizen or you can file for a waiver and file for removal of conditions after divorce.

2- If you already have your 10 year green card, you will be eligible to apply for citizenship 5 years after you became a permanent resident (after you got your first green card). You can actually apply 90 days before this date if you meet all other conditions.

3- You will need to have documents related to your marriage ready (marriage and divorce certificates), but generally speaking, you don't need to prove that you lived with your ex-spouse because you won't be applying based on marriage. However, USCIS can also investigate if you got your green card legitimately, and so they can ask you anything they want about your marriage. You won't need to send in any of this proof with your application, but there's a chance that they will ask for it at the interview. Most people in your situation are not asked much about their marriage at the interview.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.