Ybyb20

I-130 form questions.. I need help!

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I called the USCIS offices today and they are so strict about what they can cannot say and so the girl I spoke to answered as much as she could be I am still left confused about some questions on here. They are not allowed to tell me what i can and cannot type so when i asked certain questions i was left helpless and told to see legal help but im sure there are some intelligent and experienced individuals on this website who can hep me! Anyways, here is goes!

on the I-130 form on the right side of the paperwork where it is asking info about my relative which in this case, is my wife, on #11 it asks for an alien registration number but she doesn't have one because this is the first of any kind of paperwork we are doing for our "journey." So is is best to leave it (and any other questions we can't answer) blank? or use N/A ? I'm not sure...

ALSO...

on part © question #17 of this paper work is says

"information about your relative"

"list spouse and all children of your relative"

do i list myself on that paperwork since i am her husband? or do i leave it blank and assume that they can see based on the questions and selections on the first half of the paperwork, that i am her husband??? So confused by these little things that i dont want to answer incorrectly or just leave blank! They have me stressed out lol...

ALSO...

We don't "live together" but when she comes down to visit from Canada, she stays with me so does that count as "living together" because it asks for the last address that we lived together in... we are married so i dont know if they consider my house her house at this point... her name is not stated on any of the paperwork so i don't know if it rally qualifies as "living" together if her home is still in Canada....

Thank you for reading this post, i hope you can help me!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Okay.

1) Put N/A on the alien registration number blank.

2) You do have to list your info in the spouse part.

3) I believe that I put my husband's address because that was the last/only place where we have stayed together.

Thank you so much for your quick response! ....on my side of the paperwork it also asks me for an alien registration number even though i am a born citizen... should i also leave that blank or N/A ? I basically just dont know if i should put N/A on everything that doesnt pertain to me or that i dont have an answer for or leave it blank! lol it makes me paranoid that they will find any little thing to delay the process on so im just trying to be a stickler about it all...... and as for the address, it asks for the address and then from what time to what time she stayed with me but shes been up and down visiting so im just confused if i should just put the my address down cause she stays here with me but she also has gone back and forth so i dont have an exact time to when she stayed cause its been many times... soooo confusing

Timeline

Do not leave anything blank ever lol! It can actually mess you up when you do that. Just put N/A for everything that does not pertain to you/stuff you do not have an answer for. :)

As for the time stayed, I believe we put down just the last time I had stayed with him at his home (but I did stay for two months during that time).. So, I guess you could just put the last date/time frame she stayed with you.

And you are welcome. :)

Ah, i dont know what to put... what if they dont take it seriously because this time she has only visited for about 2 weeks but there has been times when shes been here for 2 months at a time so im just conflicted on what to put there... Also, when you sent out our 130 form did you send pictures and other evidence? The cover letter for the 130 form doesnt state to send anything with it but ive read other people have sent pictures (i dont know if that was like passport type picture of each person or if it was couples pictures) and other kind of evidence. should we send our marriaage certificate and boarding passes and all that jazz? what did you all do?

Feeling so hopeless and overwhelmed lol thanks for your time and help...

Timeline

Ah, i dont know what to put... what if they dont take it seriously because this time she has only visited for about 2 weeks but there has been times when shes been here for 2 months at a time so im just conflicted on what to put there... Also, when you sent out our 130 form did you send pictures and other evidence? The cover letter for the 130 form doesnt state to send anything with it but ive read other people have sent pictures (i dont know if that was like passport type picture of each person or if it was couples pictures) and other kind of evidence. should we send our marriaage certificate and boarding passes and all that jazz? what did you all do?

Feeling so hopeless and overwhelmed lol thanks for your time and help...

You have to send:

-The completed petition

-A biographical data sheet (form G-325A) for you and your spouse

-Copy of your birth certificate (or other proof of US citizenship)

-Copy of the marriage certificate

-Passport sized photo of you and one of your spouse (write the name in pencil of eahc one on the back)

-If either you or your spouse was married before, then documentaiton showing termination of those marriages

-One or more examples of ongoing relation (documents showing joint ownership or property; or lease showing joint tenancy in a residence; or documentation of co-mingling of finances; or birth certificate(s) of children born to you and your spouse, or affidavits that are sworn and affirmed by third-part individuals who know of the ongoing marital union; or any other form of evidence)

I personally did an affidavit (one of my mother in law and one of my father in law) because they were at the ceremony. We even had the affidavits done in India. My parents were unable to attend the ceremony, but we are having another ceremony here anyways.

Here is an example of an affidavit: http://www.casseuslaw.com/sample-130-affidavit/

This is the template/sample I used, and out petition was approved last week. We did NOT send in any other form of relationship proof.

***DO CHECK THE USCIS INSTRUCTIONS PAGE FOR THE I-130 PETITION.

I believed I covered ALL of it, but check there to make sure.

Edited by katietw95

Many thanks! You are wayyyyy more helpful than the agent i spoke to on the phone today lol you should take over... I got everything for that check list so thats good...

Did you do a I-864 Affadavit of support form as well? If so, when did you submit that? I'm not sure if i need one or not... The agent told me i didnt need to file anything except for the I-130 but then again she didnt tell me i needed all these things sent with the I-130 form when i asked her so im not sure if she was just clueless or not wanting to help me lol... I wonder if the I-864 would be requested when/if my I-130 were to be accepted and approved of...

Timeline

Many thanks! You are wayyyyy more helpful than the agent i spoke to on the phone today lol you should take over... I got everything for that check list so thats good...

Did you do a I-864 Affadavit of support form as well? If so, when did you submit that? I'm not sure if i need one or not... The agent told me i didnt need to file anything except for the I-130 but then again she didnt tell me i needed all these things sent with the I-130 form when i asked her so im not sure if she was just clueless or not wanting to help me lol... I wonder if the I-864 would be requested when/if my I-130 were to be accepted and approved of...

The agents are not always helpful lol. And, you will need to do an affidavit of support, but that will be submitted later at the NVC stage. This will happen once your petition is approved, and is forwarded to the NVC from USCIS.

Here is a link that will give a very good, detailed account on what to expect at NVC/what you need to do: http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/immigrant-process/petition/file.html

**Tip: I would go ahead and start to look at what is needed at the NVC level, so that you can begin collecting the stuff you need for that soon! Because at the NVC, the sooner you get everything submitted whenever the it is time to submit it, the quicker.

Okay I literally sat down and read/made notes about that whole thing for the past 3 hours. Lol! I realy wanted to grasp and understand this process and now I am more overwhelmed and stressed out as ever! But once again, thanks for the knowledgeable help. Much appreciated!!

Timeline

Okay I literally sat down and read/made notes about that whole thing for the past 3 hours. Lol! I realy wanted to grasp and understand this process and now I am more overwhelmed and stressed out as ever! But once again, thanks for the knowledgeable help. Much appreciated!!

Do not worry! It is not as bad as it seems. Just make sure you do everything/include everything that it asks for. Make sure you fill out everything correctly. You will be fine. :) Just triple check all your forms that you fill out to make sure everything is correct.

What I did was on the I-130, I printed two copies. I did one in pencil, and I took my time with it. Then, I did the official one in pen and used the pencil done one as a guide.

Timeline

You are welcome! :) And really it is no issue. You should not have any problems at all. I know we did not. BUt, do beware, some of the adjudicators are stricter than others, so do not be shocked if you get an RFE or something. If an adjudicator feels like something is missing, they may do that. But in regards to that, it really just depends on which adjudicator is assigned to your case.

Like I said, we submitted what I told you above, and we were approved. We never got an RFE or anything like that.

So, good luck! :)

~~moved to IR1/CR1 process and procedures as that is the direction the OP is going from General immigration discussion~~

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

I called the USCIS offices today and they are so strict about what they can cannot say and so the girl I spoke to answered as much as she could be I am still left confused about some questions on here. They are not allowed to tell me what i can and cannot type so when i asked certain questions i was left helpless and told to see legal help but im sure there are some intelligent and experienced individuals on this website who can hep me! Anyways, here is goes!

on the I-130 form on the right side of the paperwork where it is asking info about my relative which in this case, is my wife, on #11 it asks for an alien registration number but she doesn't have one because this is the first of any kind of paperwork we are doing for our "journey." So is is best to leave it (and any other questions we can't answer) blank? or use N/A ? I'm not sure... ~write none or leave it blank or use ---~

ALSO...

on part © question #17 of this paper work is says

"information about your relative"

"list spouse and all children of your relative"

do i list myself on that paperwork since i am her husband? or do i leave it blank and assume that they can see based on the questions and selections on the first half of the paperwork, that i am her husband??? So confused by these little things that i dont want to answer incorrectly or just leave blank! They have me stressed out lol... ~Yes you list yourself and any children she may have. Try to remember this is a multiuse form~

ALSO...

We don't "live together" but when she comes down to visit from Canada, she stays with me so does that count as "living together" because it asks for the last address that we lived together in... we are married so i dont know if they consider my house her house at this point... her name is not stated on any of the paperwork so i don't know if it rally qualifies as "living" together if her home is still in Canada....

Thank you for reading this post, i hope you can help me! ~you do not live together. put none~

answers in red

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.