Janelle2002

Satanic Temple Wins Battle To Bring Lucifer Display Inside Florida State Capitol The Huffington Post

55 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

The snow birds? They don't bother me. Well, their driving sucks.

No, I'm talking about the losers that move there permanently, that couldn't cut it up north.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Satan protesting? The last time he bitched to the big guy, he got his turdASS whooped real bad. Choosing satan as a leader is like picking a snakeTURD out of the toilet bowl and telling everyone it's your god. Dude, if you're cool with that, so am I.

Never said a thing about Satan protesting.

Satanists for the most part (there are a couple of sects that are exceptions, but I kind of view them the way most Christians view the Westboro Baptists) do not actually consider Satan to be our god. Satan is symbolic of the challenge to God. Now, Satan may have got his bum kicked hardcore, but did he actually fail for questioning God? On one hand, you might say so. After all, dude got pwned. On the other, he's remembered as God's challenger and, when it comes to legend and myth, it's the legends and myths that are remembered that are important. By remembering Satan the way so many Christians do, said Christians are basically stating that he was a legitimate challenge to God's will, or God being victorious over him wouldn't be worth mentioning.

Most modern sects of Satanism are actually atheistic religions. The Satanic Temple, for example, states that 'To embrace the name Satan is to embrace rational inquiry removed from supernaturalism and archaic tradition-based superstitions. The Satanist should actively work to hone critical thinking and exercise reasonable agnosticism in all things. Our beliefs must be malleable to the best current scientific understandings of the material world — never the reverse.' It's a religion focussing on critical thinking. This is also the case in LaVeyan Satanism, which is a more socially darwinistic sect, and which states, in the Nine Satanic Statements: 'Satan represents vital existence instead of spiritual pipe dreams! Satan represents undefiled wisdom instead of hypocritical self-deceit!'

It's not about Satan, it's about what challenging religion means in specific contexts. There is also a 'live and let live' clause in most Satanic sects, it should be noted. You don't mess with a person on their home ground, so for example going into a church and saying 'you're all a bunch of morons!' would be against the tenets of our beliefs. Going into a courthouse and challenging the status quo in a space where Christianity should be asked to step aside and let secular workings dominate, however, is a different matter entirely.

Yep. Texas in the summer is no fun. Parts of it are also no fun in the winter. And in-between, you've got those Texas sized storms - not much fun either. So it essentially sucks year-round.

Around here, you've got about the three months of summer than may take a little getting used to but it's not so bad that one can't breathe. Right now, we're in the best part of the year - the span from October through May / early June where it is just terrific in Florida.

I really like storms, so I can't complain about them--unless you're driving through five states in two days and hit the same bloody storm through three states and 12 hours of driving. That was a TERRIBLE day. The roads were flooded everywhere but there was nowhere to stop. I refuse to live in Florida for reasons of the people--I worked as an angel of Satan himself for awhile. I was a telemarketer. I had to do political calling to Florida for months and it was, without a doubt, the worst experience of my entire life. Oh man. I have never talked to so many people who didn't have a clue, and that includes when I did political calling to Tennessee and Sugarland, Texas.

It's seriously the heat that gets to me. I can't THINK, it gets so hot. I feel like my brain is melting out my ears.

Met in 2010 on a forum for a mutual interest. Became friends.
2011: Realized we needed to evaluate our status as friends when we realized we were talking about raising children together.

2011/2012: Decided we were a couple sometime in, but no possibility of being together due to being same sex couple.

June 26, 2013: DOMA overturned. American married couples ALL have the same federal rights at last! We can be a family!

June-September, 2013: Discussion about being together begins.

November 13, 2013: Meet in person to see if this could work. It's perfect. We plan to elope to Boston, MA.

March 13, 2014 Married!

May 9, 2014: Petition mailed to USCIS

May 12, 2014: NOA1.
October 27, 2014: NOA2. (5 months, 2 weeks, 1 day after NOA1)
October 31, 2014: USCIS ships file to NVC (five days after NOA2) Happy Halloween for us!

November 18, 2014: NVC receives our case (22 days after NOA2)

December 17, 2014: NVC generates case number (50 days after NOA2)

December 19, 2014: Receive AOS bill, DS-261. Submit DS-261 (52 days after NOA2)

December 20, 2014: Pay AOS Fee

January 7, 2015: Receive, pay IV Fee

January 10, 2015: Complete DS-260

January 11, 2015: Send AOS package and Civil Documents
March 23, 2015: Case Complete at NVC. (70 days from when they received docs to CC)

May 6, 2015: Interview at Montréal APPROVED!

May 11, 2015: Visa in hand! One year less one day from NOA1.

Filed: Timeline

I really like storms, so I can't complain about them--unless you're driving through five states in two days and hit the same bloody storm through three states and 12 hours of driving. That was a TERRIBLE day. The roads were flooded everywhere but there was nowhere to stop. I refuse to live in Florida for reasons of the people--I worked as an angel of Satan himself for awhile. I was a telemarketer. I had to do political calling to Florida for months and it was, without a doubt, the worst experience of my entire life. Oh man. I have never talked to so many people who didn't have a clue, and that includes when I did political calling to Tennessee and Sugarland, Texas.

It's seriously the heat that gets to me. I can't THINK, it gets so hot. I feel like my brain is melting out my ears.

I find that very easy to believe. We've got lots of sunshine around these parts. Bright bulbs? Not so much.

Filed: Other Timeline

Never said a thing about Satan protesting.

Satanists for the most part (there are a couple of sects that are exceptions, but I kind of view them the way most Christians view the Westboro Baptists) do not actually consider Satan to be our god. Satan is symbolic of the challenge to God. Now, Satan may have got his bum kicked hardcore, but did he actually fail for questioning God? On one hand, you might say so. After all, dude got pwned. On the other, he's remembered as God's challenger and, when it comes to legend and myth, it's the legends and myths that are remembered that are important. By remembering Satan the way so many Christians do, said Christians are basically stating that he was a legitimate challenge to God's will, or God being victorious over him wouldn't be worth mentioning.

Most modern sects of Satanism are actually atheistic religions. The Satanic Temple, for example, states that 'To embrace the name Satan is to embrace rational inquiry removed from supernaturalism and archaic tradition-based superstitions. The Satanist should actively work to hone critical thinking and exercise reasonable agnosticism in all things. Our beliefs must be malleable to the best current scientific understandings of the material world — never the reverse.' It's a religion focussing on critical thinking. This is also the case in LaVeyan Satanism, which is a more socially darwinistic sect, and which states, in the Nine Satanic Statements: 'Satan represents vital existence instead of spiritual pipe dreams! Satan represents undefiled wisdom instead of hypocritical self-deceit!'

It's not about Satan, it's about what challenging religion means in specific contexts. There is also a 'live and let live' clause in most Satanic sects, it should be noted. You don't mess with a person on their home ground, so for example going into a church and saying 'you're all a bunch of morons!' would be against the tenets of our beliefs. Going into a courthouse and challenging the status quo in a space where Christianity should be asked to step aside and let secular workings dominate, however, is a different matter entirely.

You're obviously thought a lot about it. But, honestly, when it comes to satan, and evil, if it somehow got on my shoe, I do my best to just wipe it off and move on. Sure, it's distracting, but only in perception. Perception is as real as looking at it.

Timeline

You're obviously thought a lot about it. But, honestly, when it comes to satan, and evil, if it somehow got on my shoe, I do my best to just wipe it off and move on. Sure, it's distracting, but only in perception. Perception is as real as looking at it.

Critical thinking is the first tenet of my belief system--of course I've thought about it! :thumbs:

I'm not sure what you mean by your shoe analogy in this case, so I'd actually be very interested in your elaborating so I could see your perspective, if you're willing. I have a couple of ideas of what you mean, but I'd love to be more certain.

2011: Realized we needed to evaluate our status as friends when we realized we were talking about raising children together.

2011/2012: Decided we were a couple sometime in, but no possibility of being together due to being same sex couple.

June 26, 2013: DOMA overturned. American married couples ALL have the same federal rights at last! We can be a family!

November 13, 2013: Meet in person to see if this could work. It's perfect. We plan to elope to Boston, MA.

March 13, 2014 Married!

October 31, 2014: USCIS ships file to NVC (five days after NOA2) Happy Halloween for us!

March 23, 2015: Case Complete at NVC. (70 days from when they received docs to CC)

Critical thinking is the first tenet of my belief system--of course I've thought about it! :thumbs:

I'm not sure what you mean by your shoe analogy in this case, so I'd actually be very interested in your elaborating so I could see your perspective, if you're willing. I have a couple of ideas of what you mean, but I'd love to be more certain.

I studied Christian theology in College. Very strict, very by the book. My thoughts and feelings on the subject of satan are influenced by that. Though I am no longer Christian, I still believe in God, but see him more in culture than on the pages of a book. From these teachings, satan (little s) is simply evil. Tempting, trying to screw things up and mess up life in general. Not to be paid attention to. From my years in college, until this moment of today, I believe ignoring satan, and turning away from evil influence to be the best of two choices a human can make on earth.

Edited by ExExpat

Timeline

I studied Christian theology in College. Very strict, very by the book. My thoughts and feelings on the subject of satan are influenced by that. Though I am no longer Christian, I still believe in God, but see him more in culture than on the pages of a book. From these teachings, satan (little s) is simply evil. Tempting, trying to screw things up and mess up life in general. Not to be paid attention to. From my years in college, until this moment of today, I believe ignoring satan, and turning away from evil influence to be the best of two choices a human can make on earth.

I actually strongly agree. Turning away from evil--defined in this case by 'acts which do lasting harm to another'--is something that I feel very strongly about. LaVeyans have strict rules about not harming other living beings unless either a) they are harming you or b) you are going to eat them. That's any living being--animals are seen as being closer to our base nature and therefore should be treated with respect--not just humans. If a person does you harm, then, as LaVeyans follow a creed of social darwinism, you should smack them down and kick their butts. The Satanic Temple is a lot less darwinistic and simply 'undue suffering is bad and that which reduces undue suffering is good' while also believing that blasphemy is a legitimate form of expressing oneself.

So most Satanists would agree that turning away from evil is definitely a good thing. Ignoring satan in your sense is also possibly a good thing--unless by fighting back little 's' satan you can prevent undue suffering, in which case you should fight back.

March 13, 2014 Married!

Please list some basic beliefs of satanism.

When i think of it, it encourages thinking outside of the box in terms of causing chaos and moral degradation. Nothing good can come from this.

However, since I somewhat know someone, you, who knows more about this please explain more. What kind of prayers are said in the name of Satan? Is there a day satanist are looking forward to him coming back to earth? What are you taught this day will be like?

Sorry for the thousands of questions.

It's like the tower of Babel. God came down and confused their language. Then the satanists, not knowing what the hell happened said to each other: "Dude, what happened?" They said: "I don't know dude. I feel funny." Then, they said to each other: "What should we do?" They thought for a while and then one of them said: "Hey, let's follow a god of evil, but then deny everything the god of evil stands for. Whadaya think?" The others then replied: "Cool, let's do it." And thus concludes the history of evil.

Note: they were using thumb and finger language, because after the Tower of Babel, no one could understand each other. Kinda like right here, on VJ

Edited by ExExpat

Timeline

Please list some basic beliefs of satanism.

When i think of it, it encourages thinking outside of the box in terms of causing chaos and moral degradation. Nothing good can come from this.

However, since I somewhat know someone, you, who knows more about this please explain more. What kind of prayers are said in the name of Satan? Is there a day satanist are looking forward to him coming back to earth? What are you taught this day will be like?

Sorry for the thousands of questions.

Some beliefs of Satanists (some of these are Temple and some of these are LaVeyan, most are easily taken away from the teachings of both) include that undue suffering is bad and that which prevents undue suffering is good. Do not hurt children. Do not hurt animals. Do not end the life of any living thing for any reasons but defense or food. Think critically about what you are being told and what is happening around you. We believe in bodily integrity--that a thinking being is the only one who should be allowed to make decisions for their own body. LaVeyans also believe that mind altering substances are bad and that they are only for those who are so weak of will as to be unable to think outside the box without them. LaVeyans also have a credo against poor hygiene and grooming. The Satanic Temple (TST) believes that care must be taken not to distort scientific fact to mean what we want it to, but instead take it for what it is. TST also believes that unjustly encroaching on the freedoms of another being means that you forfeit your own freedom.

LaVeyans do partake in a sort of prayer in the form of rituals and believe in energies that can bring good or bad to you through 'magic' which is basically emotional stimulation or putting yourself into a specific emotional state without the use of any influencing substances. The rituals vary by believer but generally involve candles and chanting. TST does not believe in prayer or supernatural ritual in any form. That's one of the larger differences between the two sects--I lean towards TST teachings myself, though I certainly respect the fact that TST teachings are almost certainly descended from LaVeyan teachings. I once identified as LaVeyan, but as I've grown, I've identified more strongly with TST teachings.

Neither LaVeyans nor TST followers believe that Satan is going to come back and change the world. We believe that it is up to us to shape and change the world. Theistic Satanists, who I am not affiliated with and, as I stated previously, I view as more akin to the Westboro Baptists in terms of how they relate to other Satanists, may hold beliefs about Satan's return, but as LaVeyans and TST followers do not in fact believe in Satan as an actual entity, we do not.

It's like the tower of Babel. God came down and confused their language. Then the satanists, not knowing what the hell happened said to each other: "Dude, what happened?" They said: "I don't know dude. I feel funny." Then, they said to each other: "What should we do?" They thought for a while and then one of them said: "Hey, let's follow a god of evil, but then deny everything the god of evil stands for. Whadaya think?" The others then replied: "Cool, let's do it." And thus concludes the history of evil.

Note: they were using thumb and finger language, because after the Tower of Babel, no one could understand each other. Kinda like right here, on VJ

Except that, if you look carefully at Biblical teachings, the 'evil' that Satan is accused of is blasphemy--questioning the Lord. He's not a 'God of Evil'. He's the accuser, the questioner. That's the symbolism that we draw. The serpent said eat of the apple and Eve and Adam did. And they gained knowledge, which the Lord meant to keep from them. Gaining knowledge that God does not wish for an individual to have seems to be the greatest recurring sin of the Bible. We choose to gain knowledge and to approach things analytically.

March 13, 2014 Married!

Some beliefs of Satanists (some of these are Temple and some of these are LaVeyan, most are easily taken away from the teachings of both) include that undue suffering is bad and that which prevents undue suffering is good. Do not hurt children. Do not hurt animals. Do not end the life of any living thing for any reasons but defense or food. Think critically about what you are being told and what is happening around you. We believe in bodily integrity--that a thinking being is the only one who should be allowed to make decisions for their own body. LaVeyans also believe that mind altering substances are bad and that they are only for those who are so weak of will as to be unable to think outside the box without them. LaVeyans also have a credo against poor hygiene and grooming. The Satanic Temple (TST) believes that care must be taken not to distort scientific fact to mean what we want it to, but instead take it for what it is. TST also believes that unjustly encroaching on the freedoms of another being means that you forfeit your own freedom.

LaVeyans do partake in a sort of prayer in the form of rituals and believe in energies that can bring good or bad to you through 'magic' which is basically emotional stimulation or putting yourself into a specific emotional state without the use of any influencing substances. The rituals vary by believer but generally involve candles and chanting. TST does not believe in prayer or supernatural ritual in any form. That's one of the larger differences between the two sects--I lean towards TST teachings myself, though I certainly respect the fact that TST teachings are almost certainly descended from LaVeyan teachings. I once identified as LaVeyan, but as I've grown, I've identified more strongly with TST teachings.

Neither LaVeyans nor TST followers believe that Satan is going to come back and change the world. We believe that it is up to us to shape and change the world. Theistic Satanists, who I am not affiliated with and, as I stated previously, I view as more akin to the Westboro Baptists in terms of how they relate to other Satanists, may hold beliefs about Satan's return, but as LaVeyans and TST followers do not in fact believe in Satan as an actual entity, we do not.

Except that, if you look carefully at Biblical teachings, the 'evil' that Satan is accused of is blasphemy--questioning the Lord. He's not a 'God of Evil'. He's the accuser, the questioner. That's the symbolism that we draw. The serpent said eat of the apple and Eve and Adam did. And they gained knowledge, which the Lord meant to keep from them. Gaining knowledge that God does not wish for an individual to have seems to be the greatest recurring sin of the Bible. We choose to gain knowledge and to approach things analytically.

Your personal opinion. Was the knowledge we gained worth it? If you look at the world now?