ashleyc

Applying for a visa

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi,

Little background on my situation.

around 10 years ago at the age of 18 I went to the US (2004), got involved with someone, got married. I stayed over my visa but started immigration proceedings, I didn't really keep on top of it and left 4 years later (2008). I also have no record of any of the papers filed and neither do the US, even though I left once in 2005 with my wife to the UK (Though I didn't know I couldn't do this) I was let back into the US and had my passport taken and papers photocopied and finger prints taken. So February 2014 I book a holiday with my girlfriend and Baby to go to Florida, I go to the embassy in March and was rejected a visa based on that I am currently serving a 10 year ban. The visa officer had put in for a visa of ineligability on my behalf, I heard this took a lot of time and probably wouldn't be ready in time for my holiday in June. Well with the luck of god I heard word 2 weeks before my holiday to pick up my passport with my shiney visa ready to go to the US. So I go to the US and was taken in the back to be asked some questions, Very scary time as my whole family were there plus my girlfriends parents. So after the customs officer speaks with her supervisor I am finally allowed in. I stay for my nice 3 week holiday and leave on my return ticket.

Now my question is, I am thinking of going for another holiday to the US probably in 2016. Can I go about getting a visa before I book my flights? Now that I have been back once am I likely to get another visa slightly easier? Is there a number to a US department that can give me a better idea of this? and does anyone have any experience in a similar situation?

Many thanks,

Ashley.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Visa first, ticket second.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline

If you have a 10 year ban and left the US in 2008, you will need a waiver for every visa you apply for until 2018. Although your appropiate use of the visa you were issued will be a positive factor, it isn't a guarsntee. You just need to apply again and make your case.

There is nobody you can speak to who would be able to give you an accurate answer about your chances...it all depends on the visa officer deciding you do not plan to overstay again and then DHS concuring with that decision.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.