akdiver

Bush wants to raise fee to $905!!!!

86 posts in this topic

So, whose gonna be the brave soul to break it to the K1 board about the possible fee increase? :lol:

(Where's that darn fwaguy when I need him? ;)

ooooh---you are SUCH an instigator!

Poor things, break it to them gently.

btw, it was many hours ago that I read the press releases, but I gleened that the proposed increase, IF it takes place, would be effective FY 08/09. That's October 07 in our language.

Just doing my job, ma'am. *salutes* ;)

I seriously don't know if I have the heart. :lol: (Eh, why not??)

You're right - FY08 would start in October. Dunno how I got that confused.

SA4userbar.jpg

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Barbados
Timeline
So, whose gonna be the brave soul to break it to the K1 board about the possible fee increase? :lol:

btw, it was many hours ago that I read the press releases, but I gleened that the proposed increase, IF it takes place, would be effective FY 08/09. That's October 07 in our language.

Just doing my job, ma'am. *salutes* ;)

I seriously don't know if I have the heart. :lol: (Eh, why not??)

You're right - FY08 would start in October. Dunno how I got that confused.

LOL....i am still sorta new to this site and all the immigration processes so i would not do it cause i don't wanna get asked a billion questions i won't be able to answer...

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
LOL....i am still sorta new to this site and all the immigration processes so i would not do it cause i don't wanna get asked a billion questions i won't be able to answer...

oh, it will be a pleasant surprise. People shouldn't just stay in one forum anyway; that's how they don't know what's going on.

Anyone want to take sinking/swimming lessons off my back dock? :lol:

Edited by meauxna

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Timeline

Sorry ---editing problems there for a minute.

Tracy: proposed fee amounts are in this doc: http://www.uscis.gov/files/nativedocuments/ProposedRule.pdf

Use the search feature for 129f and you'll see some interesting statistics.

Basically, it looks like I-129fs are costing more to process than they've been charging. Oh yes they measured it. ha haha!

Everyone: go to "Press Room" at uscis.gov for these memos (there are several) and this webpage: www.uscis.gov/21stCenturyService

Edited by meauxna

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

Timeline

..i guess i glazed over while reading it..where are u seeing that ..October 07...

dammit.

I knew I'd have to go get this...

http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/FSmethod.pdf

"U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is proposing a fee structure for the fiscal year 2008/2009 biennial period that is..."

The Federal gov't new fiscal year starts October 07.

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

Sorry ---editing problems there for a minute.

Tracy: proposed fee amounts are in this doc: http://www.uscis.gov/files/nativedocuments/ProposedRule.pdf

Use the search feature for 129f and you'll see some interesting statistics.

Basically, it looks like I-129fs are costing more to process than they've been charging. Oh yes they measured it. ha haha!

Everyone: go to "Press Room" at uscis.gov for these memos (there are several) and this webpage: www.uscis.gov/21stCenturyService

Yah, that's the doc I originally read (from the press room!). Couldn't remember what page had the old fees/proposed fees table on it (its 86 in case you wondered). I thought the 'metrics' were a hoot, too, on the I 129fs.

I still think its a hefty increase, and don't understand why they couldn't reduce it to, say, a $50 fee for K3ers and at least offset the $285 hit for K1ers a LITTLE bit. But maybe I didn't understand all those metrics perfectly? :blink:

Well I broke it to the poor K1ers. Instigator title - firmly in tact. :D:devil:

SA4userbar.jpg

You know what....I've kind of got no problem with the fee for the I-129F being raised.

Might cut down on some of the BS petitions. Ya know what I mean?

Of course, I've said for years a person ought to have to pay $2000 for a marriage license, be at least 25 years of age, take a mandatory 3 months domestic financial planning course, be subjected to a medical exam, and have a psychological exam copy of which is mailed to the other party - before you can get married! *winks*

Sort of. Except the frauds won't care if it's an extra $300 to get an easy green card, and the serial mail-order-bride types that IMBRA worried about tend to be well-off, too, so basically, the cost is felt most by the young, non-BS couples.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: Other Timeline
Sort of. Except the frauds won't care if it's an extra $300 to get an easy green card, and the serial mail-order-bride types that IMBRA worried about tend to be well-off, too, so basically, the cost is felt most by the young, non-BS couples.

Easy? *snorts*

Yeah, this is the easiest thing I've ever done in my life....... :hehe:

I get you, though. BUT....what I meant was the people who get caught up in the romance of an LDR, jump the gun, and file willy-nilly.

I once read (no I don't have the link and it might have been a bogus stat) that something like 45% of the K1's issued are never even activated. That means the beneficiary never entered the country - relationship went bust.

That was the kind of BS I'm referring to.

As an immigrant to the US, I don't mind paying what it costs to do the processing. (Though my wife is entitled to question why her taxes don't cover the service.)

But immigrants (and *only* immigrants) have to also cover the cost of processing refugees and asylum seekers? Now that's seems a touch unfair.

(We also have to pay for the immigration processing of 'certain other applicants', what's that about - defecting Cold War spies??)

August 2004: we meet

June 2005: engaged!

March 2006: I-129F submitted ...

... May: case recalled for IMBRA compliance ...

... August: NVC sends case file to Mexico (WRONG COUNTRY!!) ...

... October: London refuses to process I-824 ...

... January 2007: interview - visa approved!

January 17: entry into US

January 26: married! woo-hoo! together forever!

January 29: submitted I-485, I-765, I-131

February 2: NOAs for I-485, I-765, I-131

February 7: SS number

February 20: I-485 transferred to California SC

February 21: biometrics for I-485, I-765

February 23: NOA for I-485: FBI can't process fingerprints; new biometrics appointment

March 10: biometrics#2 for I-485

March 14: NOA for I-485: FBI can't process fingerprints; new biometrics appointment

March 29: biometrics#3 for I-485

April 16: AP issued

April 18: EAD issued

August 23: NOA for I-485: new biometrics appointment

September 15: biometrics#4 for I-485

I guess I don't see why taxpayers should have to foot the bill for these processes. Esp. not ones that concern us here (family based).

I see it as a priviledge to be able to possibly bring my fiance here - one I am willing to pay for (wish it was a little more bang for buck, but that's a whole other topic). I don't think my neighbors should help me pay for that priviledge.

Edited by TracyTN
SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

I saw this in the news. I think it's really sad. The increase in immigration fees will only hurt those who are trying to immigrate legally and marry the person they love, like us in this forum. In my opinion I feel this administration is doing these things to make immigration in the U.S. less accessible and more difficult for the average person. I feel the same about the excessive taxes charged on international airfare. I know it's due to the increased security measures and that's a good thing, but it also makes it more difficult for someone to find an affordable ticket to travel overseas, and I think that is also part of the strategy of the administration. Try to reason it all you want, but it's too high. I think there is probably a very big difference between the fee and the actual cost incurred in reviewing an application. It's sad. It discourages marriage and legal immigration.

Filed K1 Petition September 2005

Interview at Embassy in Abu Dhabi December 2005 Denied

Interview at Embassy in Abu Dhabi January 2006 Approved

Nikah April 21, 2006

Biometrics June 2006

Received Green Card August 2006

Waiting for 10 year card since June 2008

Received 10 year card April 2009

U.S. Citizen November 2009

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
so let me get this straight..all these changes will go into effect October 2007?

if that the case..i and filing like a mofo when this man gets here..just do it all when its cheaper

The document read fiscal year 2007, which would be June.

I dunno where you get June from. The federal fiscal year is from 1 October through 30 September.

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.