Headingbackhome

Preparing the Packet 3 to be mailed to the US Embassy

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I searched for packet 3 but found very few and dated information.

I am trying to keep the packet I will be mailing as small as possible in order not to waste unnecessary paper and mailing cost.

I have been preparing my wife's packet 3 documents as per the Bangkok Embassy instructions in color below but have some questions.

Only “black-and-white” photocopies of documents below must be sent to the IV Unit. One photocopy is needed for each traveling applicant. The original documents must be presented at the interview.

PASSPORT: The passport must be valid for travel to the United States and have at least six (6) months of validity beyond the visa issuance date. An immigrant visa is issued in the same name which appears on the applicant’s passport. If you have changed your name due to marriage and would like the visa to reflect the change, your passport must first be amended to include the new name but it is not required that you change your name. Your passport must also show your correct date and place of birth as indicated on your civil documents. Any discrepancies should be corrected by the relevant authorities prior to your interview.

PREVIOUS PASSPORT(S): Applicants who have traveled outside of Thailand should present all previous passports or submit police reports for any lost or missing previous passports or visas.

Is the Immigration Visa unit expecting a copy of just the bio page and photo or the whole passport possibly including blank pages?

My wife has one current passport and two expired passports. That's a lot of pages. Of course, we plan to bring the passports to the interview. I know for the I-130 packet, the Bangkok USCIS passport instructions were vague, they wanted, for me "copy of passport" and for my wife "passport (biodata page only)". I only provided a copy of the 1st page both our passports.

Original documents below must be sent to the IV Unit. You are encouraged to keep photocopies of these documents.
FORM DS-260, Online Immigrant Visa Application: To complete this online form, visit the Consular Electronic Application Center (CEAC) website and follow the directions on the website.

We completed the DS-260 online and saved 2 documents, (1) Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration - Confirmation Page, (2) Consular Electronic Application Center - Print Application. I hope I don't have to send the 2nd one which is the complete online data 11 pages long which they should already have.

Any helpful comments from those of you with actual experience will be appreciated. Thanks

Did you send your i-130 to Chicago lock box?

There should be no package 3 for you.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

~~moved to DCF from IR1/CR1 process and procedures~~

Could you also please fix your timeline to DCF? Thank you!

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Bah it's the service center but I'm not sure you can change that. And some new glasses for me. Lol no worries ;)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

I sent in only the biographic pages from our passports and there were no issues. I think it's even a new thing that they no longer require the USC to copy all pages of their passport when trying to prove US citizenship.

And the confirmation page with the barcode is the one they want. Like you said, they have the whole DS-260 form that's linked to the barcode.

Myself: US citizen; Husband: German citizen

TransferWise Invitation Link: (first wire transfer is free) https://transferwise.com/u/eec50

(B-2 Journey):

-(then fiance) H-2B work visa application terminated due to qualification difficulties in Aug. 2010.

-(then fiance) B-2 tourist visa denied due to lack of strong ties to Germany in Sept. 2010.
-Third ESTA denied due to his suspiscious visa status on Oct. 15, 2012.
-B-2 tourist visa approved on Nov. 16, 2012!

(IR-1 Journey):

-Extended German residence permit obtained Aug. 23, 2014. (to qualify for DCF)

-Husband's new German passport picked up Aug. 28, 2014. (Old one expires 2015)

-I-130 packet sent to Frankfurt (DCF) Aug. 29, 2014!

-NOA1 issued Sept. 9, 2014 (received Sept.13)

-RFE regarding evidence of bona fide marriage received along with NOA1

-RFE reply packet sent to Frankfurt Sept. 30, 2014

-E-mail response (NOA2) received by USCIS Frankfurt on Oct. 23, 2014 (Petition APPROVED Oct. 20!!!) :dancing:

-Paper NOA2 received in the mail Oct. 29, 2014

-Case number assigned by IV unit Oct. 30, 2014 (Received by email Nov. 3)

-Paper "Packet 3" arrived in mail Nov. 4, 2014

-DS-260 and Document Delivery Registration submitted to Frankfurt Nov. 4, 2014

-Mailed in priority date request found on Packet 3 to IV Unit Nov. 5, 2014

-IV ("Packet 3") package sent to Frankfurt Nov. 17, 2014

-Medical completed by Frankfurt panel physician Nov. 17, 2014

-Received "Packet 4" via e-mail Nov. 20, 2014

-Interview booked for Dec. 3, 2014 (booked Nov. 21, 2014 after email authorization received)
-Visa approved, issued AND picked up by the courier all within 7 hours, Dec. 3, 2014
:dance:

-Visa packet arrived in the mail Dec. 4, 2014

-Visa packet had to be returned to Frankfurt for correction on Immigrant Data Summary sheet (wrong birthplace listed) Dec. 5, 2014

-Corrected visa packet received in the mail Dec. 11, 2014

-$165 Immigrant fee paid Dec. 11, 2014

-POE (through Dublin, Ireland) Jan. 18, 2015

-Registered manually for social security Jan. 27, 2015

-Social security card arrived within 2 weeks after applying in person/green card arrived within 30 days after entering U.S.

kXYGp1.png

Filed: Timeline

I sent in only the biographic pages from our passports and there were no issues. I think it's even a new thing that they no longer require the USC to copy all pages of their passport when trying to prove US citizenship.

And the confirmation page with the barcode is the one they want. Like you said, they have the whole DS-260 form that's linked to the barcode.

Thanks for that information.

It amazes me how vague and confusing they write their instructions considering that a small omission can delay your application for weeks if not months.

I had to research what the heck they meant by GSS Registration Confirmation. Then there is the duplication of documents (passport, birth certificate, marriage certificate) that were already submitted in the I-130 packet.

Oh well. :)

Bah it's the service center but I'm not sure you can change that. And some new glasses for me. Lol no worries ;)

Cheers mate. :)

Edited by Headingbackhome

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.