LiliBurd

Showing ties to Canada

8 posts in this topic

Hello fellow Canucks,

I have a question regarding crossing the border to visit my fiancé for Christmas. Up until now I have only gone through preclearance at the Montreal airport, and haven't really encountered any issues. Last time was a bit more touchy, but the CO was really nice and just warned me 'jokingly' not to get married and never leave the U.S. However in 2 weeks I will be travelling on a Greyhound bus to Boston for my flight to Florida (it was just so much cheaper) and for some reason I am nervous about crossing the border. Right now this is what I have:

- Letter signed by my boss stating when I will return,

- My last 2 pay stubs

- Return flight to Canada

I also thought of bringing my lease for my apartment, but it's only in french, and dated for the 1st year I lived here (i've been living here over 2 years but leases just renew automatically) Does anyone know if I could type up a contract and have my landlord sign it stating I have a lease up until next July? Or any other ideas of what I could bring with me?

Just looking for reassurance that it will be ok.... Thank you in advance.

Edited by LiliBurd

''No matter how painful distance can be, not having you in my life would be worse''

August 16 2013: Started dating

July 6 2014: Got engaged! (L)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I have been crossing to visit my husband at the Victoria Clipper. Once I applied for the visa I have had nothing but problems. I was "paroled" twice. That has caused problems when I crossed at the Peace Arch border in Blaine. I have talked with numerous border guards and in the process learned that it is totally at their discretion and I have been told conflicting things about what they want to see as my "tie". I have gone over twice and it was only an hour to get through with the following stuff.

All mortgage payments and the bank statements to prove it came out of the bank. ( I think a signed letter from landlord PLUS the tenant agreement for you)

Water bills, hydro bills (they said four months worth)

I always bring a letter from my boss...he is a lawyer so I get him to notarize it for me as well. It says when I worked for him, when I need to work again and how long I have worked for him and my position. All that stuff is in the computer so they double check it, ask me and look for lies or holes.

They liked to see as up to date as possible stubs for work. I bring four months worth. I had let them get a bit stale (one month) and almost did not get through.

I have been asked to show marriage certificate as well....why who knows?

They ask lots of questions regarding the visa process....nodding when I seem to know what its about time waits etc.

I have been told total false stuff from the guards like I filed my I130 but should have just gone to states gotten married and stayed. I said "that's visa fraud if I enter knowing I am not leaving....

I have been told that as an "intended immigrant" I can only come in and see my husband by being "paroled" in. They finger print you, retina scan, phoned my husband to verify his address etc. Now with all this garbage I have the two "paroles" in my passport which is crappy and a total red flag but I have not actually been turned away....

So bring as much as you can because you never know who will be at the counter waiting to talk to you. And then there are others that just breeze through every time. The funny thing is that I am in my 50's so not really likely to run away to the U.S. to have no ability to work or get medical and never be able to go home to visit my four adult children. I am from Canada so not running from a war or hunger type scenario.

Edited by Sarac

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I have been crossing to visit my husband at the Victoria Clipper. Once I applied for the visa I have had nothing but problems. I was "paroled" twice. That has caused problems when I crossed at the Peace Arch border in Blaine. I have talked with numerous border guards and in the process learned that it is totally at their discretion and I have been told conflicting things about what they want to see as my "tie". I have gone over twice and it was only an hour to get through with the following stuff.

All mortgage payments and the bank statements to prove it came out of the bank. ( I think a signed letter from landlord PLUS the tenant agreement for you)

Water bills, hydro bills (they said four months worth)

I always bring a letter from my boss...he is a lawyer so I get him to notarize it for me as well. It says when I worked for him, when I need to work again and how long I have worked for him and my position. All that stuff is in the computer so they double check it, ask me and look for lies or holes.

They liked to see as up to date as possible stubs for work. I bring four months worth. I had let them get a bit stale (one month) and almost did not get through.

I have been asked to show marriage certificate as well....why who knows?

They ask lots of questions regarding the visa process....nodding when I seem to know what its about time waits etc.

I have been told total false stuff from the guards like I filed my I130 but should have just gone to states gotten married and stayed. I said "that's visa fraud if I enter knowing I am not leaving....

I have been told that as an "intended immigrant" I can only come in and see my husband by being "paroled" in. They finger print you, retina scan, phoned my husband to verify his address etc. Now with all this garbage I have the two "paroles" in my passport which is crappy and a total red flag but I have not actually been turned away....

So bring as much as you can because you never know who will be at the counter waiting to talk to you. And then there are others that just breeze through every time. The funny thing is that I am in my 50's so not really likely to run away to the U.S. to have no ability to work or get medical and never be able to go home to visit my four adult children. I am from Canada so not running from a war or hunger type scenario.

Holy moly! I have been crossing at Pembina, ND for over a year...at first nearly every weekend, and now that I work shifts, every other weekend. I have not had any trouble with the border officers at all. I always go down with up to date bank statements and pay stubs, an employment letter from work, my car lease and apartment lease agreements, my NOA1 and subsequent emails from NVC. I have only ever been asked to produce the NOA1 twice. They barely ask me anything now. I am guessing it is up to the guard and it depends on the POE itself. Don't get me wrong, I am always prepared for that one time I will get the guard who is having an off day, but even the worst one I have encountered has allowed me entry.

To answer your question OP, I would bring as much as possible. That is really all you can do. If you arm yourself with as much as you have to prove your ties and need to return to Canada, you shouldn't have a problem with a reasonable guard. Good luck, I hope all goes well! :)

ROC

01/18/2017   Sent in I-751

01/26/2017   Check cashed

01/28/2017   Received NOA dated 01/20/2017

02/16/2017   Biometrics done

10/24/2017   Traveled to Minneapolis for I551 stamp

02/26/2018     Case received by Field Office - S. Paul

05/012018     Case transferred to another USCIS office for processing 

N-400

02/02/2018    Filed N-400 online

02/05/2018    NOA online - NOA letter 02/09/2018

02/21/2018     Biometrics walk-in

Wow Sarac what a nightmare! Poor you.

I didn't think of bringing utility bills, I will add that to my list. And hope for a nice guard that is thrilled to be working the night shift, I'll be going through at 1 a.m.

The thing we do for our Americans... Hopefully the process is almost over for both of you :)

''No matter how painful distance can be, not having you in my life would be worse''

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

As they say--fail to plan....Plan to fail........Always best to be over prepared! I always traveled with a pile of evidence.....in the years I went from BC to DC...from MB to DC...and then NS to DC...I was never once asked for evidence..But I had it if asked.....And I realized that if the POE officer wanted to be a jerk..not much I could do.....One is not going to win an argument.....so always be polite.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I would imagine it depends who you get at the border. I only did it once, had Canadian employment paperwork, government id's (worked for the province) etc.. I said, I'm just visiting my fiance for a week and all he wanted to chat about was how cheap homes are here in Florida lol

Well I made it to Florida. The agent was not in a good mood but it went ok. He looked at the letter from my employer and pay-stubs. And I had other proof with me just in case. Now I get to enjoy the sunshine with my fiancé for 3 weeks! :D

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.