Karee

Giuliani and Dyson Argue Over Violence in Black Communities

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani and Georgetown Professor Michael Eric Dyson got into a heated exchange over policing in black communities Sunday morning on Meet the Press.

After Giuliani expressed sympathy towards the grand jurors deciding whether or not to indict Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson for killing unarmed teenager Michael Brown, Dyson defend the outrage of the protesters. Dyson said Governor Nixon’s decision to preemptively enact a state of emergency sent the wrong signal, sparking a heated debate on race.

“Mayor Giuliani speaks about what's, you know, unconscionable and what should be indicted. What should be indicted is the criminal justice system that continues to impose undue burdens on African American, Latino, and other poor people,” Dyson explained.

Dyson called that a false equivalency, saying police officers are agents of the state sworn to uphold the law. “Black people who kill black people go to jail. White people who are policemen who kill black people do not go to jail,” Dyson responded. “If a jury can indict a ham sandwich, why is it taking so long?”

Giuliani continued to argue that the problem is rooted in the black community. “What about the poor black child that is killed by another black child? Why aren't you protesting that,” Giuliani asked Dyson.

The tense exchange continued as Dyson argued that most criminals involved in black on black violence end up in jail. That’s when Giuliani interrupted to ask, “why don’t you cut it down so so many white police officers don’t have to be in black areas?”

“The white police officers wouldn’t be there if you weren’t killing each other 70-75% of the time,” Giuliani said a few seconds later.

“Look at this! This is the defensive mechanism of white supremacy in your mind sir!” Dyson concluded.

Giuliani also defended Missouri Governor Jay Nixon’s decision to preemptively enact a state of emergency, saying it’s hard to second guess a governor.

“I would have had a state of emergency, but I would have kept it quiet,” Giuliani said. “In other words I would have kept my police on alert, I’d have kept them in places you couldn’t see them, be ready in a moment’s notice to stop any violence,” he explained to NBC’s Chuck Todd.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/michael-brown-shooting/giuliani-dyson-argue-over-violence-black-communities-n254431

As JohnR would say, Giuliani NAILED IT! The text doesn't do it justice. Watching the race peddlers freak out is priceless.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: Other Timeline

Awesome to see a man of Giuliani's experience and background with crime speak the truth. The pathetic part is watching another 'educated' black man tap dance and divert from the facts and seek to blame negative black behavior on whites.

"This is a defense mechanism of white supremacy at work in your mind, sir," Dyson replied.

ProPublica recently found that "young black men are 21 times as likely as their white peers to be killed by police," according to data collected between 2010 and 2012.

And this tension isn't anything new. In 1967, a panel convened by President Lyndon Johnson after the race riots in Newark and Detroit characterized the relationship between police and minority communities as "abrasive."

"To pursue our present course will involve the continuing polarization of the American community and, ultimately, the destruction of basic democratic values," the panel concluded.

The racial disparity between police forces and communities at large remains significant. According to The New York Times, "n hundreds of police departments across the country, the percentage of whites on the force is more than 30 percentage points higher than in the communities they serve, according to an analysis of a government survey of police departments."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/23/rudy-giuliani-ferguson_n_6207608.html?utm_hp_ref=politics

Timeline

I guess when you go assaulting a cop and trying to take his weapon, there's a pretty good chance you might end up dead over it, no matter what colour you are.

What's the sense of White cops being in a neighbourhood and killing the people they should be protecting? That's just as bad as the Blacks "killing each other 70-75% of the time".

Yeah the cops shouldn't even bother. Seems their work is unappreciated.

I guess when you go assaulting a cop and trying to take his weapon, there's a pretty good chance you might end up dead over it, no matter what colour you are.

the whole black on black crime argument is a lie. people are usually killed by someone they know. i wasn't talking about ferguson, i was commenting on your op.

Yeah the cops shouldn't even bother. Seems their work is unappreciated.

Well if all Blacks look the same to non Blacks, especially cops, then they really shouldn't bother.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Awesome to see a man of Giuliani's experience and background with crime speak the truth. The pathetic part is watching another 'educated' black man tap dance and divert from the facts and seek to blame negative black behavior on whites.

I quite enjoyed the look on the face of the guy from St. Louis that I don't believe said anything. He looked like he was simply enjoying being on tv.

Timeline

the whole black on black crime argument is a lie. people are usually killed by someone they know. i wasn't talking about ferguson, i was commenting on your op.

The whole black on black crime argument is a lie? Are you saying blacks don't commit the vast majority against other blacks?

Well if all Blacks look the same to non Blacks, especially cops, then they really shouldn't bother.

?

Over/Under on how long it takes for Giuliani to be called a racist?

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

The whole black on black crime argument is a lie? Are you saying blacks don't commit the vast majority against other blacks?

?

no, that's not what i'm saying because the fact that black people kill other black people is not the question - nor the premise of the argument. this is not the first time we've argued this here, come on.

You can't argue with some.

This exactly same mentality spewed here on VJ is what black people have to deal with everyday. What do I have to do with another black person committing a crime I don't even know? ZERO

What do I have to do with some other black person who didn't go to college? ZERO

What do I have to do with some random black person who chose food stamps? ZERO

Black people are always judged by the actions of other black people they don't know nor do they have any relations with. People should just be judged for the individual person they are.

But you can't tell these people who know everything something because they are too busy knowing nothing.

Timeline

no, that's not what i'm saying because the fact that black people kill other black people is not the question - nor the premise of the argument. this is not the first time we've argued this here, come on.

I think Giuliani's argument, (and I agree with it) is that the only reason this case is drawing the attention that it is, is because the cop was white, and the dead criminal was black. I believe he mentioned something along the lines, of "where's all the outrage for the victims of black on black crime?" He then threw out some stats about how the vast majority of crimes committed by black people are committed against other black people. Until these alleged leaders start addressing the real issues in the black community, instead of spending their TV time going on about this Ferguson thing (which they don't have all the facts) or the Sanford thing, maybe just maybe they should look at the real reasons why so many black folks are ending up dead. I can pretty much guarantee it aint because of white cops.

You can't argue with some.

This exactly same mentality spewed here on VJ is what black people have to deal with everyday. What do I have to do with another black person committing a crime I don't even know? ZERO

What do I have to do with some other black person who didn't go to college? ZERO

What do I have to do with some random black person who chose food stamps? ZERO

Black people are always judged by the actions of other black people they don't know nor do they have any relations with. People should just be judged for the individual person they are.

But you can't tell these people who know everything something because they are too busy knowing nothing.

What does slavery that ended 150 years ago have to do with me? zero

What does Jim Crowe that happened decades ago have to do with me? zero

I can keep going if you like.